NGsD

Here's another pic for reference. I'm a small guy, (5'8"/155lbs) so take that into consideration. It's ridiculous.
93af7619-edf6-4dd3-bfba-8623215f8f04_zpscf1abnwh.jpg

Like I said, it's not practical at all, but that didn't stop me from wanting to shoot it. I shot my 1911 directly afterward, and it felt like a pellet gun. Iirc, the .500 ammo was 500 gr.

It looks like a prop in a vaudeville act.

6DF9523B-3A38-4144-96BB-37BEF6FC7C80_zpsf0wnoniy.jpg

No, not mine, well the wimpy full-sized 1911 is, but the 500 belongs to a buddy. I only fired it a few times so I can't tell you how accurate it is. To say it kicks like a mule would be accurate though. Is it practical? Of course not! Was it fun? HELL YES
My father in law has a gun like that that was leftover inventory from when he was a smith and Wesson dealer. He calls it his "pimp gun".

Btw, any of you guys have this?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1466242901.685511.jpg

No revision that I know of. Just trigger snobs. I've always liked the M&P line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree, I currently have 3 M&P pistols, and the triggers on all are just fine. Two of them are older, one is a 2015.

Bought an M&P 15 Sport II today to add to my M&P collection. It's a thing of beauty, shoots like a dream.

I agree, I currently have 3 M&P pistols, and the triggers on all are just fine. Two of them are older, one is a 2015.

Bought an M&P 15 Sport II today to add to my M&P collection. It's a thing of beauty, shoots like a dream.
My dad has a sport as well. Fantastic rifle.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Neato. I have an old colt A2 HBAR, but it lacks all the modern m4 bits and is pretty heavy. I think something like a M4 type 16 inch bbl with a collapsible stock would be a fun rifle to have.

Everyone complains about the trigger pull and feel online, but it feels pretty light and smooth to me. Maybe they revised it or something.

Everyone has different preferences in triggers. But preferences being preferences, you're never going to please everyone. M&Ps aren't my favorite or my least favorite.

No, not mine, well the wimpy full-sized 1911 is, but the 500 belongs to a buddy. I only fired it a few times so I can't tell you how accurate it is. To say it kicks like a mule would be accurate though. Is it practical? Of course not! Was it fun? HELL YES

jerry miculek has a video of putting 5 shots of 500 mag on target in 1 second. He described the experience as brutal.

jerry miculek has a video of putting 5 shots of 500 mag on target in 1 second. He described the experience as brutal.

My first impression after firing it was it was like holding a crowbar, and someone smacking the end of it with a 10lb maul.

Everyone has different preferences in triggers. But preferences being preferences, you're never going to please everyone. M&Ps aren't my favorite or my least favorite.

Damn, Miculek is so fast...but I wouldn't have thought even he could have kept the 500 on target rapid fire. I'll bet it was brutal. I'd like to fire one to see what it's like.

My son used to own a smith 460. Pretty sure it had an 8" barrel. I never shot it, just didn't see the fun in it.

The most punishing gun I've ever fired was not a big hand cannon, it was a derringer. In .45 Colt. The cartridge was damn near the size of the gun. That was a lot like being smacked in the hand with a hammer. I can't imagine the 500 would be worse, since it's at least got some weight to soak up some of the impact.

Haven't shot any of the LCRs...used to have a #60 J frame with the 2" barrel; I go back and forth on picking something like that up again. Snubbies are classic but shooting them is kinda meh.

I have a model 36 J frame (aka, chief's special snub nose) and it is unpleasant to shoot even with standard 38 special ammo. Putting +p into it is insane and painful. I can only image that all the lighter weight variants on the J frame kick worse than my old steel gun. I see they even have 357 magnum versions of these pocket revolvers. No thank you. :messedup:

I have a model 36 J frame (aka, chief's special snub nose) and it is unpleasant to shoot even with standard 38 special ammo. Putting +p into it is insane and painful. I can only image that all the lighter weight variants on the J frame kick worse than my old steel gun. I see they even have 357 magnum versions of these pocket revolvers. No thank you. :messedup:

Yeah, my dad had one of the 12 ounce Scandium .357 snubbies. With full power .357 loads it was really unpleasant to shoot, and doing more than 5 rounds the backstrap would make the web of your hand bleed. Really light and pleasant to carry, though.

Last edited:
I've found the Chiappa Rhino snubby to be just as bad. Yes, firing from the bottom cylinder kills the muzzle flip but the unchangeable grips dig into your palm like sandpaper. My BIL loves it but I hated it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I'm a fan of the J frame. I only have one, a 438. I'd love to get an old Model 36, or my favorite, the original Model 38.

Model-38.jpg

It's true, they are not the easiest guns to shoot. I've got about 600 rounds of lead cast 38 that I loaded up with a light load that makes them softer on the hands. They are actually pretty accurate if you shoot them single action. My son and I were hitting a pie plate at over 30 yards with the 438.

The hogue tamer grips that come on the LCR help a ton. The trigger is smooth :thu:
Still wouldn't want to shoot the 357 version.

Also picked this up on Friday.

Savage .17 cal (laminate). The other is an old mossberg 22 46b.

image.jpeg

Back