NGsD

I'm always suprised that the 280 remington wasn't more popular. It's a 30 06 case necked down to .284 (7mm) instead of .277 (270).
The variety of bullets is much better in 7mm than 270 and the ballistics are a wash.
I suppose the 7mm Remington mag is the reason why. That's what everybody immediately thinks of when they think "7mm" and "remington"
I am surprised too.
I bought my 7mm in the '80's and just stuck with it.
Never needed any other caliber for big game.

Local shop has a distributor exclusive typhon kryptek 10/22 takedowns for under dealer cost. Mighty tempting.

I've yet to get one. Probably later this summer.
I hate to admit it, as someone who had disavowed glocks, but it's an amazing carry gun. Lightweight, fits easily in my pocket (in a pocket holster, of course), accurate and easy to shoot.

I had a real surprise at the range yesterday - I have an "all access" membership, which among other things allows me free access to the rental guns. On a whim, I decided to try the Canik TP9SA - I'd been seeing some internet buzz, but was skeptical. Essentially, it's a Turkish made rip-off of the Walther P99, that sells for under $400. I had my doubts...but damn if that thing didn't have a FANTASTIC trigger. At 7 yards I put my first 5 shots dead center through one large hole. I could not miss with it. All the way out to 25 yards, I had no problems hitting exactly at point of aim. I am seriously impressed, and may have to pick one up in the near future.

I had a real surprise at the range yesterday - I have an "all access" membership, which among other things allows me free access to the rental guns. On a whim, I decided to try the Canik TP9SA - I'd been seeing some internet buzz, but was skeptical. Essentially, it's a Turkish made rip-off of the Walther P99, that sells for under $400. I had my doubts...but damn if that thing didn't have a FANTASTIC trigger. At 7 yards I put my first 5 shots dead center through one large hole. I could not miss with it. All the way out to 25 yards, I had no problems hitting exactly at point of aim. I am seriously impressed, and may have to pick one up in the near future.
They are really easy to shoot. I had seen great reviews and finally shot one recently as well. Hell of a cheap gun.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

They are really easy to shoot. I had seen great reviews and finally shot one recently as well. Hell of a cheap gun.

Anything I can find online from people that have actually shot them says they're dead nuts reliable as well. Only negative I can find is that the finish on the FDE models tends to wear off easily. even though it's claimed to be Cerakote. There are no complaints about the black finish.

It seems like the Caniks get good marks on the build but the only drag with some of the knockoffs is that you wind up with questionable aftermarket support and sometimes questionable warranty work when you deal with an importer rather than the domestic division of the mfg. P99s pop up on the used market around here for not a ton more soooooo

It seems like the Caniks get good marks on the build but the only drag with some of the knockoffs is that you wind up with questionable aftermarket support and sometimes questionable warranty work when you deal with an importer rather than the domestic division of the mfg. P99s pop up on the used market around here for not a ton more soooooo

Yeah, but P99s are double action, rather than the incredible trigger of the TP9SA.

I picked this up this afternoon. A Smith and Wesson MP40C. I wanted a compact carry gun, and I wanted a 40 cal, so it was a toss up between about a dozen different guns. In the end the Smith and Wesson fit my hands a little better than the others. I also wanted a manual thumb safety, so that thinned the heard a little bit. I know lots of people want stiff trigger guns with no manual safety levers these days, but I just prefer having a manual safety lever. It is a 10+1 capacity with a short double stack magazine. I'm going to take it out to the range this weekend.

IMG_2301.JPG

Last edited:
I picked this up this afternoon. A Smith and Wesson MP40C. I wanted a compact carry gun, and I wanted a 40 cal, so it was a toss up between about a dozen different guns. In the end the Smith and Wesson fit my hands a little better than the others. I also wanted a manual thumb safety, so that thinned the heard a little bit. I know lots of people want stiff trigger guns with no manual safety levers these days, but I just prefer having a manual safety lever. It is a 10+1 capacity with a short double stack magazine. I'm going to take it out to the range this weekend.

View attachment 27850
Supremely good gun there. I had one when I was shooting 40.

Supremely good gun there. I had one when I was shooting 40.

The local store has a range and they let me shoot one of their rental guns to 'try one out' before I decided. It is a really nice shooter and a lot less snappy than I expected for such a small gun. Everyone complains about the trigger pull and feel online, but it feels pretty light and smooth to me. Maybe they revised it or something.

Last edited:
6DF9523B-3A38-4144-96BB-37BEF6FC7C80_zpsf0wnoniy.jpg

No, not mine, well the wimpy full-sized 1911 is, but the 500 belongs to a buddy. I only fired it a few times so I can't tell you how accurate it is. To say it kicks like a mule would be accurate though. Is it practical? Of course not! Was it fun? HELL YES

I assume those giant caliber revolvers fill the same space that my 45-70 contender handgun....hunting in pistol season. Oh and the fun of shooting something gigantic. The size of that thing relative to a 1911 is hilarious. I doubt I could point it accurately without working out a lot

6DF9523B-3A38-4144-96BB-37BEF6FC7C80_zpsf0wnoniy.jpg

No, not mine, well the wimpy full-sized 1911 is, but the 500 belongs to a buddy. I only fired it a few times so I can't tell you how accurate it is. To say it kicks like a mule would be accurate though. Is it practical? Of course not! Was it fun? HELL YES

does that 500 come with a bi-pod??:grin:

View attachment 27850
That is sweet.

I don't get the whole anti-safety thing; it ain't that difficult.

does that 500 come with a bi-pod??:grin:
Crazy, isn't it? He didn't buy it either. He's a writer for Outdoor Life Magazine. They're constantly sending him stuff. His garage looks like a sporting goods section, rods/reels, bows, guns, rifles.

Based on the size of the 1911, the revolver looks like it is the size of my forearm/hand.

Based on the size of the 1911, the revolver looks like it is the size of my forearm/hand.
really. i doubt that i could get my had around the grip and then......touch it off? fuck....it would fly out of my hands.
i've shot the contender 45-70 and it's a hand full. i had a ruger 45 blackhawk that i regularly loaded with hornady 300's @ 13-1400, and that was a handful too.
but that 500 is just silly.

Here's another pic for reference. I'm a small guy, (5'8"/155lbs) so take that into consideration. It's ridiculous.
93af7619-edf6-4dd3-bfba-8623215f8f04_zpscf1abnwh.jpg

Like I said, it's not practical at all, but that didn't stop me from wanting to shoot it. I shot my 1911 directly afterward, and it felt like a pellet gun. Iirc, the .500 ammo was 500 gr.

The local store has a range and they let me shoot one of their rental guns to 'try one out' before I decided. It is a really nice shooter and a lot less snappy than I expected for such a small gun. Everyone complains about the trigger pull and feel online, but it feels pretty light and smooth to me. Maybe they revised it or something.
No revision that I know of. Just trigger snobs. I've always liked the M&P line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back