NGsD

Prages

User Error
New Guns Day.

It was actually Saturday, but I didn't know if I could post about it.

On Saturday, we did something we've been thinking about doing for years. We went to Gander Mountain and bought a pistol and a rifle.

We got a Glock 21 SF .45 hand gun and a Ruger American .243 rifle with scope. Haven't had a chance to take them to the range to shoot them yet, but we plan to do that in the morning.

Any experience with either of these, and if so, did we make pretty good, or pretty bad purchases.

Please, keep this non-political.

Last edited:
They're going to open a Gander Mountain down the road from my place. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Hard to go wrong with Glock and Ruger, as they both make really nice stuff.

What is the Glock 21 SP? Is that like the 21 SF? 45 is a good caliber and in the 21 it is pretty light on recoil for the caliber.

They're going to open a Gander Mountain down the road from my place. I'm looking forward to checking it out.

It's nice. They sell a lot of nice outdoor clothing, but they also do camping stuff, kayaks (lower end stuff, but good starter stuff), fishing supplies, and ours at least has a gun counter that wraps about 1/2 way around the huge store.

i had a Ruger M77 bolt in 243. it was a pretty good rifle. it wasn't my "nailer", but it didn't cost me $6000 either.
are you planning on using it for deer? coyotes?

the glock.....well, imo 45 is THE way to do if you can handle one, but i had a glock 9mm and i sold it a couple months after i got it, only because i'm SO old school (1911's in military) that i just can't get past the trigger. but they're fine pistols, otherwise.

It's nice. They sell a lot of nice outdoor clothing, but they also do camping stuff, kayaks (lower end stuff, but good starter stuff), fishing supplies, and ours at least has a gun counter that wraps about 1/2 way around the huge store.
yea....ours is pretty much the same. it's a nice store. i've bought lost of stuff there.

What is the Glock 21 SP? Is that like the 21 SF? 45 is a good caliber and in the 21 it is pretty light on recoil for the caliber.

Hell, it may be an SF. I'm going off of memory, and I'm not a gun nut.

It's a .45 with a 13 round mag and about a 4 1/2" barrel. That's about all I can tell you.

I'm no fan of Glocks, I prefer Sigs, but that's mainly based on the grip angle and shitty trigger feel...I prefer a hammer fall action...

As far as the rifle, my main deer rifle is a Ruger Mk2 light in .243...'nuff said...

Reactions: Tig
i had a Ruger M77 bolt in 243. it was a pretty good rifle. it wasn't my "nailer", but it didn't cost me $6000 either.
are you planning on using it for deer? coyotes?

the glock.....well, imo 45 is THE way to do if you can handle one, but i had a glock 9mm and i sold it a couple months after i got it, only because i'm SO old school (1911's in military) that i just can't get past the trigger. but they're fine pistols, otherwise.

Honestly, they'll both only be used at the gun range. Neither of us hunt, but we both like to shoot.

Can't go wrong with a glock, especially in .45. That is a pretty big gun though, you might consider something smaller if you're contemplating ever carrying it.

Ruger makes really nice stuff as well.

Hell, it may be an SF. I'm going off of memory, and I'm not a gun nut.

It's a .45 with a 13 round mag and about a 4 1/2" barrel. That's about all I can tell you.

4½" barrel and 45 caliber.....if you haven't had any experience with large caliber pistols, you will want to hang on tight to that when you shoot it. i've owned a number of colt commanders (4¼" barrels) and they're a handful.

I'm no fan of Glocks, I prefer Sigs, but that's mainly based on the grip angle and shitty trigger feel...I prefer a hammer fall action...

As far as the rifle, my main deer rifle is a Ruger Mk2 light in .243...'nuff said...

Well, yeah..

The Glock was $599. The cheapest Sig .45 in stock was something like $999.

4½" barrel and 45 caliber.....if you haven't had any experience with large caliber pistols, you will want to hang on tight to that when you shoot it. i've owned a number of colt commanders (4¼" barrels) and they're a handful.

I grew up with a gun nut cousin. I've shot just about every gun known to man. Just not in the last 20 years.

this.

I've owned a few Glock 19s over the years, and bought one for my wife several years back. They just produce a fantastic pistol.

I don't have any rifles, but I would like to buy a shotgun down the line. I have some old antiques that have been handed down, but I don't even know if they'd fire (and I have no plan to find out). :)

this.

I've owned a few Glock 19s over the years, and bought one for my wife several years back. They just produce a fantastic pistol.

I don't have any rifles, but I would like to buy a shotgun down the line. I have some old antiques that have been handed down, but I don't even know if they'd fire (and I have no plan to find out). :)

Ruger Red Label, Over/Under......very nice shotgun.
(unless you need more ammo than that)
th

is that like saying you had a shotgun wedding?
:grin:

It was a gift from Mrs. P's "uncle". He actually put his teeth in for the wedding.

When he gave us the gun he said "I thought about giving you a 9mm, but then I remembered that you lived in an apartment, and I didn't want you to accidentally shoot the neighbor, so here's a 20 gauge shotgun."

He actually put a lot of thought into the gift.

Maybe we'll take it to the range tomorrow too. :embarrassed:

It was a gift from Mrs. P's "uncle". He actually put his teeth in for the wedding.

When he gave us the gun he said "I thought about giving you a 9mm, but then I remembered that you lived in an apartment, and I didn't want you to accidentally shoot the neighbor, so here's a 20 gauge shotgun."

He actually put a lot of thought into the gift.

Maybe we'll take it to the range tomorrow too. :embarrassed:
yeah, criminals are so squishy.

Back