OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
1280px-United_States_presidential_election_results_by_county%2C_2016.svg.png

2016 election by county. Go ahead and divide up the country now.

:rolleyes:

Build a wall around the perimeter, 100 miles inland from the coastline.

I realized something sad. Those people (Trump supporters) that will still not be dissuaded from supporting Trump probably think and talk like Trump. Incoherent, disjointed thoughts/babbling accompanied with finger pointing and talking around concepts they don't truly grasp. What they are absolutely convinced of is that the media out to get them/him and are tricking the rest of us (despite a complete lack of evidence, except from the right-wing media which has been proven to be regularly and purposefully dealing in lies for decades); and that the education system is equally corrupted.

I'm not just getting this, though. It's just that I thought they'd start to see through his (and/or his people's) bullshit and the Nazi lies, but they're all-in. They buying into everything...falling right into the boot step. I can't imagine anyone being able to dial this back anytime soon.

I figured I would have to clarify for you.

Partly Mexicans of that ethnic/national background who are legal American citizens, born or or otherwise. And partly because business interests with lots of power within those zones employ huge quantities of cheap illegal labour.

I knew what you meant. I guess sarcasm is lost on you.

Point being, those counties are on the front lines. If the Mexicans were so dangerous as Trump says, they would be the most vocal about building a wall, their vote says otherwise. If they were all rapists and murders like the Donald says, it doesn't matter how cheap the labor was, you would want the wall.

Finished my post, bad habit of mine :embarrassed:

Partly Mexicans of that ethnic/national background who are legal American citizens, born here or otherwise. And partly because business interests with lots of power within those zones employ huge quantities of cheap Mexican labour, legal or not.

I'm sure there are also plenty of non-Mexican people living in those areas who also support/sympathize with the cause of immigrants. And don't believe the Trump BS. That includes myself, even though I'm a white dude in Detroit.

I realized something sad. Those people that will still no dissuaded from supporting Trump probably think and talk like Trump. Incoherent, disjointed babbling accompanied with finger pointing and talking around concepts they don't truly grasp. What they are absolutely convinced of is that the media out to get them/him and are tricking the rest of us (despite a complete lack of evidence, except from the right-wing media which has been proven to be regularly and purposefully dealing in lies for decades); and that the education system is equally corrupted.

I'm not just getting this, though. It's just that I thought they'd start to see through his (and/or his people's) bullshit and the Nazi lies, but they're all-in. They buying into everything...falling right into the boot step. I can't imagine anyone being able to dial this back anytime soon.

They don't because they don't follow him or politics. He had an (R) after his name in the election and that is all they know. I bet a large majority of Trump supporters haven't watched Spicer or any other person from his office speak at all. They probably don't even know he had a press conference yesterday.

I live in Alabamastan and have all my 59 1/2 years. Yes we are still backwards. Yes the majority of our citizens are undereducated. Yes there is still significant racism. Yes our politics are still controlled at the state and national level, and in many local districts, by reactionary idiots. But this old hippie ain't going nowhere. It's a beautiful state with more fresh water than any other state. Enormous biological diversity. On a person to person level, friendly and helpful people with a proud tradition of place, landscape, and family. It's worth fighting for because I have seen the progress made over my lifetime despite all the enormous negatives. Let me just list a few.
1. The environment. When I was a child you couldn't breath the air in Birmingham, or even see the city from atop Red Mountain for the smog. Now it's a beautiful city with greenways and a world class medical research hospital and university. The Cahaba river running thru town is no longer a sewer. Sure our state and national politicians want to roll all this back, but the cities citizens will never allow it to return to the way it was. Thruout the state the good old boys have come to understand the need to protect their precious woods and they will and do turn environmentalist at the drop of a hat to any obvious threat to their local playground. Every river system now has an activist local group with the resources to monitor their river, and sue the pants off polluters when necessary.

I gotta run, but I will be back with plenty more reasons why I will stay and fight.
Till later

I see several good groupings there. But that's not the point. I see no way of moving forward as a United country. It can't happen, it's only a matter of time before shit really blows up. If anyone else has a good option of moving the country forward and uniting it, I'm all ears. I would love to hear a solution that could bridge the divide between left and right but I don't think there is one.

The way that these situations are generally resolved is that both sides come to the middle to find an acceptable place where both parties can agree to be. The problem is that the Left is the middle and the anti-left rhetoric which has been building since the "bleeding heart Liberal" humour of the early 1980s solidified into "LEFTY!" hatespeak along the way and became an actual right wing belief pushing the Right further right and the Left still really in the middle but now with a wider chasm between the groups.

The groups will not come together. Many Trump supporters still don't believe he has ever been involved in a bankruptcy. That is demonstrative of denial, as is the 'alternative facts' thing. The right is moving away from center and therefore away from unity/union/uniting/etc.

I know this guy (here in Canada - I will refer to him as Mr M) who loves that Trump won. Mr M could easily be in a mental institution. Really all that needs to be said.

The way that these situations are generally resolved is that both sides come to the middle to find an acceptable place where both parties can agree to be. The problem is that the Left is the middle and the anti-left rhetoric which has been building since the "bleeding heart Liberal" humour of the early 1980s solidified into "LEFTY!" hatespeak along the way and became an actual right wing belief pushing the Right further right and the Left still really in the middle but now with a wider chasm between the groups.

The groups will not come together. Many Trump supporters still don't believe he has ever been involved in a bankruptcy. That is demonstrative of denial, as is the 'alternative facts' thing. The right is moving away from center and therefore away from unity/union/uniting/etc.

I know this guy (here in Canada - I will refer to him as Mr M) who loves that Trump won. Mr M could easily be in a mental institution. Really all that needs to be said.

And that's why I suggest breaking up the country. There is no way the sides will ever meet again. The way the right acted during the Obama administration put the nail in the coffin for that.

I live in Alabamastan and have all my 59 1/2 years. Yes we are still backwards. Yes the majority of our citizens are undereducated. Yes there is still significant racism. Yes our politics are still controlled at the state and national level, and in many local districts, by reactionary idiots. But this old hippie ain't going nowhere. It's a beautiful state with more fresh water than any other state. Enormous biological diversity. On a person to person level, friendly and helpful people with a proud tradition of place, landscape, and family. It's worth fighting for because I have seen the progress made over my lifetime despite all the enormous negatives. Let me just list a few.
1. The environment. When I was a child you couldn't breath the air in Birmingham, or even see the city from atop Red Mountain for the smog. Now it's a beautiful city with greenways and a world class medical research hospital and university. The Cahaba river running thru town is no longer a sewer. Sure our state and national politicians want to roll all this back, but the cities citizens will never allow it to return to the way it was. Thruout the state the good old boys have come to understand the need to protect their precious woods and they will and do turn environmentalist at the drop of a hat to any obvious threat to their local playground. Every river system now has an activist local group with the resources to monitor their river, and sue the pants off polluters when necessary.

I gotta run, but I will be back with plenty more reasons why I will stay and fight.
Till later
My point goes both ways. And sorry to have used your state name, but it was the red state with the best ring to it for my cause. :)

I think John Oliver really hit on something with his point that DJT watches the same infotainment that his supporters watch. He basically absorbs that perspective & then repeats it back to his followers, which confirms the perspective they have developed from the same sources. They repeat what DJT & their infotainment sources say back to DJT & that confirms his perspective.......so it's this circle of confirmation bias that just goes round and round.

If you're already part of that circle, it all makes sense and rings true.
If you're not, it seems pretty out of touch with reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back