NGsD

you know what i mean.......there's just as many features that gun nuts argue about as guitarists. now let's start discussing velocity versus accuracy in high power rifles.

Forget that. We need to solve the gold hardware fail first!
:gah:
ecf7760c6db355c6dff3cb2e12da2cd0.jpg

you know what i mean.......there's just as many features that gun nuts argue about as guitarists. now let's start discussing velocity versus accuracy in high power rifles.
I hear ya man, I hear ya. There are a lot of similarities.

Reactions: DFB
Gold and black - always a classy combo. :)

Hmmmm.... don't see much TORT on firearms now, do ya?

oh wait now......let's talk about pearl grips versus ivory grips.......:facepalm:

and then there's the tone wood grips......err.......figured wood grips......errr.......

On the shotgun, every instructor I've read or taken a class from isn't a big fan of the pistol grip -- for exactly the reasons you probably encountered. It's hard to aim and, if you do aim, it's hard to manage the recoil. If you're actually using the bead sight, you're holding the shotgun in a position where you might as well have a shoulder stock.

On the Mossbergs, the pistol grip makes it hard to reach the top-mounted safety. It's a bit of a shame -- the placement of that safety is genius with a regular stock.

I have been really impressed with the MagPul shotgun stock. It's ugly but very ergonomic and adjustable. If you're trying to save length, just take out all the spacers.

One piece of advice I read but never tried was, if you are using a pistol grip, hold the shotgun at waist level. Yes, it looks "Action Movie" but it puts the right arm in a better position to control recoil. Let your elbow be the fulcrum. Since this makes it impossible to use the bead, a laser might also be a good investment.

On the shotgun, every instructor I've read or taken a class from isn't a big fan of the pistol grip -- for exactly the reasons you probably encountered. It's hard to aim and, if you do aim, it's hard to manage the recoil. If you're actually using the bead sight, you're holding the shotgun in a position where you might as well have a shoulder stock.

On the Mossbergs, the pistol grip makes it hard to reach the top-mounted safety. It's a bit of a shame -- the placement of that safety is genius with a regular stock.

I have been really impressed with the MagPul shotgun stock. It's ugly but very ergonomic and adjustable. If you're trying to save length, just take out all the spacers.

One piece of advice I read but never tried was, if you are using a pistol grip, hold the shotgun at waist level. Yes, it looks "Action Movie" but it puts the right arm in a better position to control recoil. Let your elbow be the fulcrum. Since this makes it impossible to use the bead, a laser might also be a good investment.

If it were a 12 gauge, I probably would have a hard time aiming with the bead. Since it's a 20 gauge, it didn't pack quite the punch of a larger gun.

I thought about getting a regular stock, but I don't think this is going to be shot much.

(see......even gun nuts argue about model features......just like guitarists.......oh......wait......):grin:

I think find some place on the internet that people gather to discuss and debate ad nauseum just about any activity that a human being can engage in.

We didn't get .22s because it's impossible to find ammo for them. I've gotten 350 rounds of 9mm ammo at Dick's Sporting Goods for $89, and 250 rounds of .45 from Cabellas for $96.

IIRC the bigger chain retailers around here don't have any but all the LGSs have plenty of 22LR and the prices are fairly reasonably, all things considered.

Last edited:
Several weeks ago we found a problem with the Ruger American Rifles.

They are great guns. Very accurate, very cheap, but feel and shoot great.

The problem? The magazine is garbage. There's a 4 round magazine and the .243 was double feeding on the third round every single time. The .270 has so far been reliable.

The UPS guy arrived today with new magazines for both rifles. No cost.

Of course, I watched a youtube video review of a guy who ordered 5 magazines, and 3 of the 5 either double fed or didn't feed at all right out of the package.

I don't know if we'll make it to the range this weekend, but if we do, I'll give an update on the new magazines.

I've got a couple that that I don't shoot & may consolidate into something I'd use more.
1) 1985 Ruger Super Single Six Convertible - bought some time in the mid-late 80s. .22 WMR conversion cylinder, original box and manual. Adjustable rear sight.

f9Ha39v.jpg

2) 1916 Colt 1903 .32ACP hammerless
Believed to have been purchased new by my great grandfather. Cold blued back in the mid-late 80s. Stone cold reliable, shoots great. Timless JMB design that runs as good at near 100 years old as it did new.

jVvkZKX.jpg

I'm on the fence w/ the 1903. For regular range use, I've got an SR22 & CZ75.

I've got a couple that that I don't shoot & may consolidate into something I'd use more.

2) 1916 Colt 1903 .32ACP hammerless
Believed to have been purchased new by my great grandfather. Cold blued back in the mid-late 80s. Stone cold reliable, shoots great. Timless JMB design that runs as good at near 100 years old as it did new.

jVvkZKX.jpg

I'm on the fence w/ the 1903. For regular range use, I've got an SR22 & CZ75.

i would not part with the colt, especially since it has been in the family so long.
so what if you don't shoot it. put it in a presentation box with a glass top and "poof"....it's art.

th

i would not part with the colt, especially since it has been in the family so long.
so what if you don't shoot it. put it in a presentation box with a glass top and "poof"....it's art.

th

I'm probably just going to keep it as a safe queen. The Single Six I'll probably try to trade for a Ruger MK II or MK III

I took the Ruger American .270, Glock .45, S&W M&P 9mm, and Mossberg 20 gauge to the range today.

Didn't do a ton of shooting, but did a lot of socializing.

I'll probably go back tomorrow and hope for a less crowded range.

Back to work on Wednesday.

FWIW, the brand new magazine Ruger sent for the .270 didn't feed at all today. I sprayed some Rem oil into it and went through 4 rounds manually about 20 times. Seems to be feeding fine now.

These Ruger American magazines are junk, though. It's the only part of the guns I don't like.

The other guys at the range loved my pistol grip Mossberg 500c 20 gauge. They all had a few shots with it.

We burn up a lot of 22 rounds.

Here's my old H&R 922 9 shot revolver.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My old mossberg that I've had since I was a kid.

image.jpeg

Always wanted one of these so I bought one early last spring. Everything tucks nice and neat into the stock.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bought this off a guy at work. $150 and came with 1000 22lr. Fun to plink with and haven't had a jam yet. It feels like a cheap toy though. The Henry survival rifle above shoots better.

image.jpeg

that's it for the 22s. For now.

Back