NGsD

Although supplies have gotten better, you pretty much load whatever powder you can get your hands on these days. I'm stocked up pretty well with titegroup right now, and autocomp. I like titegroup as it takes very little powder and measures very consistently.

i used to get all my stuff from Lock, Stock and Barrel and Brownell's. and a local shop that's been very well stocked for a long time.
the former (deceased now) owner, built several rifles with me. i engineered them and he built them to spec. he used to put me in front of a LOT of customers because my designs were things that he was very interested in. the last one was a 6mm x 284. it was an absolute nailer.
anyway....they always had lots of supplies on the shelves. however, i haven't been in the game for a decade or so.

i used to get all my stuff from Lock, Stock and Barrel and Brownell's. and a local shop that's been very well stocked for a long time.
the former (deceased now) owner, built several rifles with me. i engineered them and he built them to spec. he used to put me in front of a LOT of customers because my designs were things that he was very interested in. the last one was a 6mm x 284. it was an absolute nailer.
anyway....they always had lots of supplies on the shelves. however, i haven't been in the game for a decade or so.
Neat!

Do you still have any of the rifles you designed?

this is what i want next. Ruger Scout Rifle. :grin:
(you might have noticed that while i like pistols.....i'm really a rifle guy)

23408-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Thought you guys might dig this. I was in the gun safe getting ready for deer season and I decided to pull this out and snap some pics. It's a Colt Detective special. Series 4 - made some time between 1993-1995. I like the series 3 and 4 DS's because they have the shrouded ejector rod. The old school model is just asking for the ejector rod to get bent IMO. This one's in about 98% condition, and I have the case and manual. One nice thing about these is that they're 6-shooters instead of 5.

Thought you guys might dig this. I was in the gun safe getting ready for deer season and I decided to pull this out and snap some pics. It's a Colt Detective special. Series 4 - made some time between 1993-1995. I like the series 3 and 4 DS's because they have the shrouded ejector rod. The old school model is just asking for the ejector rod to get bent IMO. This one's in about 98% condition, and I have the case and manual. One nice thing about these is that they're 6-shooters instead of 5.

wow....that is smokin' hot. i had a Lawman Mk. III snubbie while in the A.F.
should NEVER have let it go. (like this one)
6085222_01_colt_lawman_mk_iii_e_nickel_co_640.jpg

Those snubbies look fantastic!

I had a chance to run the 1911 through some ammo on Saturday. I'm probably going to swap the recoil spring out for the 17# from Wilson. The original is supposed to be 16# and with 230gr FMJ it seems just a little soft sprung. Really throws the cases and seems to batter a little more than I would like. I also may just try some 185gr at the range only and maybe a recoil buffer for the range only. 230 stays in the mags as a defensive otherwise.

Those snubbies look fantastic!

I had a chance to run the 1911 through some ammo on Saturday. I'm probably going to swap the recoil spring out for the 17# from Wilson. The original is supposed to be 16# and with 230gr FMJ it seems just a little soft sprung. Really throws the cases and seems to batter a little more than I would like. I also may just try some 185gr at the range only and maybe a recoil buffer for the range only. 230 stays in the mags as a defensive otherwise.

i had the heavier spring, full lenght guide rod and buffer pad in my Commander and it really did take out some of the 'slamming' of the slide. but i think i might have been using a 19 or 20 lb. spring. don't remember, it was twenty-something years ago.
but the spring and buffer pads do help.

Hey we're allowed to discuss guns! Here's a recent group shot I took, yes I'm aware the bipod on the 10/22 is backwards it has since been corrected. :embarrassed:

RKS0yNv.jpg

how do you like the PPK/S? i've always liked the looks of them, but never got to shoot one.

That's actually a Bersa Thunder in .380, basically an Argentinian copy of the PPK. Shoots and fits my hand well, pretty accurate for a small 380 too. Apparently it's the official sidearm of several Argentinian military and law enforcement agencies, not sure how much if an endorsement that is but there you go. :embarrassed:

how do you like the PPK/S? i've always liked the looks of them, but never got to shoot one.

If you want to really experience slide bite, I highly recommend a good high grip on a PPK/S. I still have a nice faint scar on my right hand from the one I owned a bunch of years ago. It was one of the Interarms versions in .32 ACP w. almost no beaver tail. Otherwise, it was very easy to shoot accurately and super soft.

Merry Christmas to me.....Santas big brown sleigh is bringing one of these to my local FFL.

SW-revolver.jpg

S&W model 351C. 22mag 7-shot J frame snubby with a shrouded hammer. Super lightweight (11 oz). Fixed big-dot sights, no lock, and minimal markings. All aluminum (or scandium, or unobtanium, or whatever they're calling it these days) except for the barrel liner and the internal mechanism.

These ultralight Smith 22 WMR snubbies always interested me, but they seemed waaaaay overpriced. This one is on sale right now for about 1/2 MSRP here:

https://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/smith-wesson/smith-&-wesson-m351c-revolver--24694

Merry Christmas to me.....Santas big brown sleigh is bringing one of these to my local FFL.

SW-revolver.jpg

S&W model 351C. 22mag 7-shot J frame snubby with a shrouded hammer. Super lightweight (11 oz). Fixed big-dot sights, no lock, and minimal markings. All aluminum (or scandium, or unobtanium, or whatever they're calling it these days) except for the barrel liner and the internal mechanism.

These ultralight Smith 22 WMR snubbies always interested me, but they seemed waaaaay overpriced. This one is on sale right now for about 1/2 MSRP here:

https://www.woodburyoutfitters.com/smith-wesson/smith-&-wesson-m351c-revolver--24694
Very nice. I like jframes a lot. I've got a 438 and a 36.

Thought I'd share my weekend project with y'all. Several years ago, I acquired a Montgomery Wards store-brand 30-30 lever action rifle. That doesn't sound too exciting, but it was $200, and it's really a Marlin 336 from a time period when Marlin's quality was at its best. It was grimey inside and out - looked like it had been dragged through the woods every fall for 40 years without much cleaning or routine maintenance, but it doesn't appear to be shot much, it's in great shape mechanically, and the bore is pristine. I decided this winter I would tear it down completely, refinish everything, and put it all back together. This weekend I finally got around to it. I suppose I ruined the collectors value, but being a beat up old store branded rifle, it didn't have any in the first place. Here are some before and after pics: (Even the "before" pics are after a good cleaning. You should've seen it when I brought it home...:zoinks:)

Before
20170203_192051_zpsaajziczp.jpg

After
20170205_200643_zpsbj0ydslm.jpg

Before
20170205_201053_zpsevqw1hwv.jpeg

After
20170205_201142_zps2pj7ys7w.jpg

Last edited:
Back