Jangle sound. Mostly in Rock/pop context. What guitars?

AArrrgh! Get that mess out of my thread! This is indie, shimmery, groovy beach vibes in here. No cherry tops or flag waving types!

I've been spending about 20 minutes a day or so with the Ric and am slowly getting used to the ridiculous ergonomics. I've never had this much difficulty acclimating myself to an instrument before... I've gotta say "American Girl" has never sounded so good!

The solo is pretty speedy! I cannot play it with a pick, I have to fingerpick it.

I've been spending about 20 minutes a day or so with the Ric and am slowly getting used to the ridiculous ergonomics. I've never had this much difficulty acclimating myself to an instrument before... I've gotta say "American Girl" has never sounded so good!

Fun factoid. I believe Petty and Campbell came clean and “American Girl” doesn’t have a 12 on it and it’s multiple guitars playing octaves on 6-strings to mimic the Byrds thing. I believe Campbell played the solo on a tele.

Fun factoid. I believe Petty and Campbell came clean and “American Girl” doesn’t have a 12 on it and it’s multiple guitars playing octaves on 6-strings to mimic the Byrds thing. I believe Campbell played the solo on a tele.

Nobody wants to hear my looping project where I develop American Girl slowly over the course of 3 hours with a Bass VI, whammy, and TC Ditto, just so I can avoid playing a 12 string because it's "not authentic".

So, though this is not the first song people think of when they think jangle, and it is not Buck, nor McGuinn, I am going to try to find the jangle in this song first.

So, though this is not the first song people think of when they think jangle, and it is not Buck, nor McGuinn, I am going to try to find the jangle in this song first.

So I wasn’t able to root up a ton on the recording/arranging of this track, but I did find one piece about the guitar used on the main arpeggiated part.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...rother-the-making-of-get-together-11591721529

Mr. Levinger: On the intro, I played the obbligato lines on my electric Guild M-75 Bluesbird. When Jesse began to sing, I played the fills and answered Jesse’s vocal lines on my guitar.

Mr. Young: Banana’s guitar gave the song a mystical, Indian feel. That was his exceptional bluegrass background. He added ninths so that chords yearned for resolution. The 9th tells the listener the song isn’t finished yet, that there’s more.

Mr. Levinger: In the middle of the song, I played a guitar solo. I stuck to the melody line but with appoggiatura—or ornamentation. My solo was inspired by Buzzy’s raga version, which had a psychedelic flavor.

I also added classical filigrees around the notes. But Jesse’s vocal was really something. His singing voice was so warm and relaxed and persuasive. It sold the song.

Whatever octavey/12 stringy stuff is in there is in that vaguely eastern counter/lead guitar in the back.

Here’s some internet guy playing the main lick on a Gretsch. It’s really mostly about how that line is constructed and played that makes it jangle. As I mentioned before, it’s a lot about repetition and mechanical execution.

So I wasn’t able to root up a ton on the recording/arranging of this track, but I did find one piece about the guitar used on the main arpeggiated part.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...rother-the-making-of-get-together-11591721529

Mr. Levinger: On the intro, I played the obbligato lines on my electric Guild M-75 Bluesbird. When Jesse began to sing, I played the fills and answered Jesse’s vocal lines on my guitar.

Mr. Young: Banana’s guitar gave the song a mystical, Indian feel. That was his exceptional bluegrass background. He added ninths so that chords yearned for resolution. The 9th tells the listener the song isn’t finished yet, that there’s more.

Mr. Levinger: In the middle of the song, I played a guitar solo. I stuck to the melody line but with appoggiatura—or ornamentation. My solo was inspired by Buzzy’s raga version, which had a psychedelic flavor.

I also added classical filigrees around the notes. But Jesse’s vocal was really something. His singing voice was so warm and relaxed and persuasive. It sold the song.

Whatever octavey/12 stringy stuff is in there is in that vaguely eastern counter/lead guitar in the back.

Here’s some internet guy playing the main lick on a Gretsch. It’s really mostly about how that line is constructed and played that makes it jangle. As I mentioned before, it’s a lot about repetition and mechanical execution.

Cool. that is more info than I found. It doesn’t seem complex to play, and the two guitar parts can be melded together somewhat, and/or I could use a looper to cover the main riff if I wanted. I will have to remember how to get past the WSJ paywall to read more of the article.

To get it to jangle, and least the main riff, I need to find my capo for some of the voicing. Last night, I was figuring out where I could find those notes sans capo and just experimenting a little.

Back