Jangle sound. Mostly in Rock/pop context. What guitars?

Playing in my TP Tribute Band I was able to use a Strat or an LP with the following to get the Jangle Sound. The Jangle Box is self explanatory. I set the Whammy 5 to octave and I create a pseudo 12 string guitar using a 6 string.

jbsilver.jpg
s-l640.jpg

@sunvalleylaw

I had a sparkle blue DC59 and the best sounds for me were in the middle position because the pickups are combined in series, creating a humbucking circuit. The stacked pots give you volume and tone on each pickup and you can blend them together for "your sound".

Like most things, the difference is in the feel. Pedals just don't make the guitar feel or respond like a 12. Whether that's worth $500 is up to you.

@sunvalleylaw

I had a sparkle blue DC59 and the best sounds for me were in the middle position because the pickups are combined in series, creating a humbucking circuit. The stacked pots give you volume and tone on each pickup and you can blend them together for "your sound".

Like most things, the difference is in the feel. Pedals just don't make the guitar feel or respond like a 12. Whether that's worth $500 is up to you.
So yours had those different pickups rather than the lipsticks only?

Of course, NONE of this is happening now. I am going to explore my own gear to make sounds. Not dropping $500 on anything right now. The other $500-$700 guitar I would like to add to the arsenal is an AR50 like you have. I would like someday to have a true LP'ish type guitar. But, I do have a semihollow with humbuckers, and my HH strat. Still not the same as the shorter scale solid body paul type.

So yeah, the two guitars I would like to still add to what I have are that one, and a 12 of some kind.

Before today, I was just thinking of when I had money set aside, finding an old Yammy acoustic like I said. That I could either slap a sound hole pickup into or something. Or now consider the Dano route. The acoustic gives me that The Church thing. The Dano would be more toward that 60's jangle pop electric sound. But maybe the acoustic could be close enough.

But that is just window shopping for down the road. And it is possible I can get close enough, for my needs and the sounds I want to make, with stuff I have. At least for quite a while. Even if it is not a true 12 string sound.

Which informs which of the remaining two guitars should come first. It should be a 12. The LP lust can be satisfied well enough for my needs with my current guitars (I do have a short scale HH) and my pedal board.

So yours had those different pickups rather than the lipsticks only?

Of course, NONE of this is happening now. I am going to explore my own gear to make sounds. Not dropping $500 on anything right now. The other $500-$700 guitar I would like to add to the arsenal is an AR50 like you have. I would like someday to have a true LP'ish type guitar. But, I do have a semihollow with humbuckers, and my HH strat. Still not the same as the shorter scale solid body paul type.

So yeah, the two guitars I would like to still add to what I have are that one, and a 12 of some kind.

Before today, I was just thinking of when I had money set aside, finding an old Yammy acoustic like I said. That I could either slap a sound hole pickup into or something. Or now consider the Dano route. The acoustic gives me that The Church thing. The Dano would be more toward that 60's jangle pop electric sound. But maybe the acoustic could be close enough.

But that is just window shopping for down the road. And it is possible I can get close enough, for my needs and the sounds I want to make, with stuff I have. At least for quite a while. Even if it is not a true 12 string sound.

Which informs which of the remaining two guitars should come first. It should be a 12. The LP lust can be satisfied well enough for my needs with my current guitars (I do have a short scale HH) and my pedal board.

No, I had the lipstick pickups.

Photo33.jpg

@Peen Simmons

Would this fit do you think? A little different pickups, but the description makes it sound like it fits.

View attachment 61674
Or there is this type.
View attachment 61675

I think either one of these would work. As HIAR mentioned, the inbetween sounds are often where the jangle happens because—for guitar science reasons—there’s some acoustic airiness to those positions. My current 12 has P90s and they sound good for 12 string work. And I had some dual lipstick buckers in a bizarro guitar that was my weapon of choice for recording for a couple years and they will get jangly as well. Obvs the single lipsticks will do the job too. Like Howie said, the feel of playing electric 12 is a lot of it—and it feels pretty different than what your default moves on an acoustic 12 might be. I find acoustic 12s to be mostly not my thing given that I don’t like big washy chords mucking up my ability to do shit with an arrangement. YMMV.

A note about Rics vs everything else. With Rics the primary string comes first and the octave comes second. It’s the opposite on more traditionally strung 12s. Which is one of the reasons why a Ric sounds and feels different. I’ve played and liked both. And Ric 12s are just cost prohibitive for me.

When looking for an electric 12, look for one where every string is intonatable if you want to avoid driving yrself nuts

A note about Rics vs everything else. With Rics the primary string comes first and the octave comes second. It’s the opposite on more traditionally strung 12s. Which is one of the reasons why a Ric sounds and feels different. I’ve played and liked both. And Ric 12s are just cost prohibitive for me.

When looking for an electric 12, look for one where every string is intonatable if you want to avoid driving yrself nuts
I presume the Dano's are. And yeah, that would be important. I am thinking I am inclined to go that route, but not anytime soon. Time will tell. As I told HIAR, not dropping a grand or near on a 12 string, so no Ricks, and then it comes down to acoustic, like Gary, or Dano or similar. I am tending Dano.

That's the one I own, and I love it. I used it on this. No compression, however.

I like that sound, but not sure it is what I want to do myself. Here is the other 12 string acoustic sound I like.

I like this vid too. We get skies out here like this. Without the time lapse on the Milky Way.

Acoustic 12-string is another thing. I have considered getting one of the Martin X series or the Guild cheaper model. Or seeing if I can get Devin to make me a 12-string.

I think either one of these would work. As HIAR mentioned, the inbetween sounds are often where the jangle happens because—for guitar science reasons—there’s some acoustic airiness to those positions. My current 12 has P90s and they sound good for 12 string work. And I had some dual lipstick buckers in a bizarro guitar that was my weapon of choice for recording for a couple years and they will get jangly as well. Obvs the single lipsticks will do the job too. Like Howie said, the feel of playing electric 12 is a lot of it—and it feels pretty different than what your default moves on an acoustic 12 might be. I find acoustic 12s to be mostly not my thing given that I don’t like big washy chords mucking up my ability to do shit with an arrangement. YMMV.

Strongly disagree with the last part. The best bridge is the Gotoh 12.

@sunvalleylaw — if you aren’t sure that an electric 12 is your thing, there’s some tricks you can do to do jangly stuff sans 12.

For acoustic/chordy rhythm stuff you can always do the Nashville tuning thing and double strummy parts to get that big 12 string wash. Basically, if you have a capo and can do a setup, you can get there for the cost of strings.

As for the chimey, ringing Byrds/Wrecking Crew/paisley underground/Hard Day’s Night hypnotic arpeggios thing...try it on a 6 string with compression and chorus and you might be amazed at how close the sonic effect is within a musical context. You have to change the way you play a bit and that might be different without the 12 string dictating that.

Back