Jangle sound. Mostly in Rock/pop context. What guitars?

Id try the Blues Comp Treb(You want treble) or the Tube Comp first.
You just need a little compression, enough to even out your spastic technique (Im talking about myself here) but not enough to really hear it or notice its effect. One of those you dont know its on till its off kinda deals.
As far as eq, just use the knobs on the guitar and amp and you should be fine.
Ok, thanks. I will out myself as hamfisted fatfingers in that regard.

And @Pine Apple Slim , I will try my tele, obviously, on the A3 bridge, and check out the P90 also, my single coil strat, TexMex wound, and I have a strat with a Dimarzio Vintage Hot PAF, and HfromH in the neck, that don't sound tremendously hot when they are split in the in between positions. (HIAR's favorites). May as well try them all. I don't think the 355-ish Hagstrom Viking is likely, but could try it anyway.

Last edited:
I moved from Pitchflex to the Harmonic Modulator mode. It replaces the shape and low pass filter with modulation. It sounds marginally better as an 18 string with the chirpy highs.

Nevermind, found the EQ's. They are in there. Yeah, I have owned this thing only about 10 years. Pretty funny I am just now getting around to exploring it more. I think I will hook it up to the computer and run a firmware upgrade too.

View attachment 61666

Prob won't need any of it. But if you do want to mess with it, prob best to try the graphic first. Visual and intuitive.
I listened to a live version of that REM Sou Central rain. A very early first time on TV appearance. Yea, he was playing a Ric. Dont think it was a 12, but I guess it coulda been. Sounded like a clean guitar into a clean amp to me. Coulda been most anything if I was only listening and not watching a video. Of course, computer speakers, YouTube compression, no headphones, so what do I know.

Prob won't need any of it. But if you do want to mess with it, prob best to try the graphic first. Visual and intuitive.
I listened to a live version of that REM Sou Central rain. A very early first time on TV appearance. Yea, he was playing a Ric. Dont think it was a 12, but I guess it coulda been. Sounded like a clean guitar into a clean amp to me. Coulda been most anything if I was only listening and not watching a video.
This one?

Looks like a six-Rick.

This performance sounds a little less jangley to me than the studio version. A little more live performance early 80's uptempo and angst thrown in.

This one?

Looks like a six-Rick.

This performance sounds a little less jangley to me than the studio version. A little more live performance early 80's uptempo and angst thrown in.

they hadn’t recorded So Central Rain when they did that performance, which is why they didn’t have a name for it yet. I have that REM box set thing they put out a while back and Peter played a Telecaster and a Fender amp a lot live. May have been dates in Europe where they rented gear or something.

Ok, thanks. I will out myself as hamfisted fatfingers in that regard.

And @Pine Apple Slim , I will try my tele, obviously, on the A# bridge, and check out the P90 also, my single coil strat, TexMex wound, and I have a strat with a Dimarzio Vintage Hot PAF, and HfromH in the neck, that don't sound tremendously hot when they are split in the in between positions. (HIAR's favorites). May as well try them all. I don't think the 355-ish Hagstrom Viking is likely, but could try it anyway.

The Tele with the A3 bridge oughta do it.
The split HBs will prob work well too, if the bridge only on the Tele is too much spank.
The Tex Mex Strat will work as long as you dont muddy it up with extra gain.
The Hag might need some eq help, but plugged straight into your Fender it might surprise you how much treble you can get out of it.
P90, cant say without knowing what kinda guitar its in. Sometimes P90s can give good treble with a bit of dirt in it, sometimes they are extremely mid focused and in your face.

Last edited:
Sounds good, definitely not authentic.

FF6506FE-1E33-4C0A-8DEB-D28FCD086BF6.jpeg

P90, cant say without knowing what kinda guitar its in. Sometimes P90s can give good treble with a bit of dirt in it, sometimes they are extremely mid focused and in your face.
Thanks for the hints. The P90 is a Bryan Gunsher wound one, that he wound to match the aforesaid A3 bridge he also wound. :)

I have started to take that into account when I watch his video presentations. MMMV, so to speak.

I watch two kinds of videos. The slick ones where nobody talks, and the iPhone camera uploaded to YouTube ones with bad playing. The truth is somewhere in the middle, but the guys who make those videos never shut up.

Jangle like in this? That's telecaster. I didn't think much about it until I got and started play a couple telecaster. Jangle and some organ sounds and that's just with some overdrive and reverb.

Welcome to my lair, @sunvalleylaw.

So, I had a Mosaic. It’s an interesting doubler/shifter/mod thing that can get some good sounds, but it’s not 100 a accurate for THAT sound. I’ve also owned several electric 12s over the years. I currently have a Rev Airwave. The Mosaic reminded me how much I missed playing 12 string and I sold it when I was scrounging up cash for the Airwave. So, if you want the electric 12 sound, buy a 12. The Dano 12 is fine as a low cost option that sounds good and will fit most people’s needs unless you’re a madman who picks up a 12 a almost a default.

As to jangling in other ways, it’s very much a technique and writing thing. You want to emphasize the highs and upper mids as was said. And single coils are often what you’re looking for—although both Marr and the dude from the Las played 335s a lot of the time. I like filtertrons for jangly work as well. The Guild minibuckers are also swell. I find that strats are a good basic guitar for jangle pop tones—there’s a number of sonic options and they take compression and modulation well. And a lot of what jangle pop jangle is sitting things in the mix just so.

Another key element of what makes jangle pop sound like jangle pop is a blend of acoustic and electric instruments. Having acoustic guitar in the mix as a dominant rhythm sound is key if you’re doing 60s Beatle-inspired (Rubber Soul, Hard Days, etc.) jangling.

As for lead lines and jangly guitar parts—repetition, repetition, repetition. You wanna avoid vibrato or other “feeling” type techniques like Pop Art folks hiding brush strokes. Mechanical duplication of arpeggiated parts across two or three strings biting off little bits of chords and shifting one or two notes at a time. Also, when it comes time to show off a bit, you’re looking for ascending/descending runs to punctuate musical phases, echo a vocal, etc.

Effects-wise, compression can help get the sound just so and level off arpeggiated parts. Verb can give some room to the sound. Apply chorus or phase as needed for swirlies.

In general, jangle pop is rooted in aping the sounds of guitar-based-pop of the mid 1960s. So the more of that stuff you listen to, the more it starts to make sense as an approach.

EDIT: On full chord “rhythm” parts the upstrum is key as a point of emphasis. It’s hard to explain but you want to introduce the idea of looseness or slackness to the part even if you’re playing in a rhythmically “tight” scenario. Think of the sloshing of sleigh bells.

Last edited:
Looks like a six-Rick.

Yeah, the bridge "Hi Gain" pickup on my '85 360 was "all jangle, all the time," it's one reason why I sold it off (in favor of my Les Paul Deluxe and Stratocaster), though the neck "Hi Gain" was easily as versatile any P-90. "Hi Gain" is a misnomer, the design is nearly identical to old Mosrite PUs.

So, I had a Mosaic. It’s an interesting doubler/shifter/mod thing that can get some good sounds, but it’s not 100 a accurate for THAT sound. I’ve also owned several electric 12s over the years. I currently have a Rev Airwave. The Mosaic reminded me how much I missed playing 12 string and I sold it when I was scrounging up cash for the Airwave. So, if you want the electric 12 sound, buy a 12. The Dano 12 is fine as a low cost option that sounds good and will fit most people’s needs unless you’re a madman who picks up a 12 a almost a default.

As to jangling in other ways, it’s very much a technique and writing thing. You want to emphasize the highs and upper mids as was said. And single coils are often what you’re looking for—although both Marr and the dude from the Las played 335s a lot of the time. I like filtertrons for jangly work as well. The Guild minibuckers are also swell. I find that strats are a good basic guitar for jangle pop tones—there’s a number of sonic options and they take compression and modulation well. And a lot of what jangle pop jangle is sitting things in the mix just so.

Another key element of what makes jangle pop sound like jangle pop is a blend of acoustic and electric instruments. Having acoustic guitar in the mix as a dominant rhythm sound is key if you’re doing 60s Beatle-inspired (Rubber Soul, Hard Days, etc.) jangling.

As for lead lines and jangly guitar parts—repetition, repetition, repetition. You wanna avoid vibrato or other “feeling” type techniques like Pop Art folks hiding brush strokes. Mechanical duplication of arpeggiated parts across two or three strings biting off little bits of chords and shifting one or two notes at a time. Also, when it comes time to show off a bit, you’re looking for ascending/descending runs to punctuate musical phases, echo a vocal, etc.

Effects-wise, compression can help get the sound just so and level off arpeggiated parts. Verb can give some room to the sound. Apply chorus or phase as needed for swirlies.

In general, jangle pop is rooted in aping the sounds of guitar-based-pop of the mid 1960s. So the more of that stuff you listen to, the more it starts to make sense as an approach.

EDIT: On full chord “rhythm” parts the upstrum is key as a point of emphasis. It’s hard to explain but you want to introduce the idea of looseness or slackness to the part even if you’re playing in a rhythmically “tight” scenario. Think of the sloshing of sleigh bells.
Thanks for that reply. All makes sense. If I got a real 12 string, my first inclination would be to find an old Yammy acoustic (though buying a new Yammy might be as good and as cheap). Not sure I NEED to get a 12 string electric. But if I do do it, maybe I should reconsider and check out the Dano 12, as I bet I would play 12 string more electrically than acoustically, as I am not an early 70’s guitar mass song leader and don’t work at that era CYO or YMCA kids summer camps. And though The Church use an acoustic in my favorite 12 stringy Church song, I bet the Dano would work well enough.

But as I explore my pedals, I am finding that those 60’s tones I remember from when I was a very little kid and amazed by hearing music the big cool kids were listening to (for me it was Rubber Soul, Hard Days sounding Beatles, are definitely a sound I want as part of my own sound, as opposed to the similar era Page, Clapton, Jimi etc. tones that were just beginning to emerge. Though if I want to, I can get that tone out of gear I own already. If not the playing ability.

Happy to be in your lair. I like a dose of pop/pop art sounds in my basket. In the 90’s I was first a Cobain guy. Then came to appreciate more of the others. Largely due to Kurt borrowing some of the Beatles’ sounds from the era we are discussing.

so yeah, I appreciate the write up. I think it is a sound I might try to do some of my own writing in.

Also, Hah! You said “Swell.”

Last edited:

Also, that Echo in the Canyon docu pretty much primes one with a lot of that era tone exploring. California Dreaming. Sounds of my very early youth.

Back