Jangle sound. Mostly in Rock/pop context. What guitars?

Was looking again, and thinking I would rather just go with the Airwave. Thinking that green color, and finding the tort PG it used to come with. When I do it.

I have played both and I like the Airwave better (obvs). It’s kind of the best case scenario in terms of ergonomics on an electric 12. I don’t really have much trouble with the narrow Ric neck and string spacing, but I know a lot of people do. That said, the Rev is sort of a “never even worry about it” situation. And it’s shorter scale than the Fender and set neck and all of that just kinda “works” vs the Fender which I thought was nice enough but ordinary.

And if you do get the green Airwave and want a tort guard, I’ll swap you mine for whatever one you’ve got. I’m the rare person on this forum who isn’t a big tort fan.

Last edited:
I have played both and I like the Airwave better (obvs). It’s kind of the best case scenario in terms of ergonomics on an electric 12. I don’t really have much trouble with the narrow Ric neck and string spacing, but I know a lot of people do. That said, the Rev is sort of a “never even worry about it” situation. And it’s shorter scale than the Fender and set neck and all of that just kinda “works” vs the Fender which I thought was nice enough but ordinary.

And if you do get the green Airwave and want a tort guard, I’ll swap you mine for whatever one you’ve got. I’m the rare person on this forum who isn’t a big tort fan.
what color Airwave did you get?

Also, here are the colors I am looking deciding between. I have a blue guitar, though a pale blue, already, so was leaning toward the green. But one of these for when I pull the trigger.

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.15.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.15.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 4.16.09 PM.png

Also, here are the colors I am looking deciding between. I have a blue guitar, though a pale blue, already, so was leaning toward the green. But one of these for when I pull the trigger.

View attachment 64140 View attachment 64141 View attachment 64142

The blue is a kinda green blue in person. It’s basically the same color as Ocean Turquoise Metallic. The green is similar to the Sage Green Fender uses, but maybe less gray. It reminds me a bit of the old Honda hampstead green color. Or the green on a vintage thermos.

If the pink one is close to a burgundy mist, Id pick it if I must have color.
I'm a sucker for burgundy mist. Its my fav Fender color.
Otherwise, I'd probably go with black or the burst.
But dont listen to me, I'm an old fart.

The blue is a kinda green blue in person. It’s basically the same color as Ocean Turquoise Metallic. The green is similar to the Sage Green Fender uses, but maybe less gray. It reminds me a bit of the old Honda hampstead green color. Or the green on a vintage thermos.
Ok, that seals it. I don’t like any Honda green colors, and it confirms what concerned me about the color in one vid I watched. So, the blue it is. @reverend1 prefers that color too.

If the pink one is close to a burgundy mist, Id pick it if I must have color.
I'm a sucker for burgundy mist. Its my fav Fender color.
Otherwise, I'd probably go with black or the burst.
But dont listen to me, I'm an old fart.
@reverend1 like that one the best of them all, I believe. But for me, it was the blue or the green. Go Cascadia!

I’ve got the natural one.
That one had a cool look too. Very beachy, also, which would fit the jangle vibe. But, of those available, I will say blue.

I tend to prefer the sound of two-pick guitars for jangly stuff - the middle position on a Jaguar has a lovely transparency. I do find it's far from easy to do when you're coming from a bluesy paradigm, and kudos to those who can jangle convincingly without aggressive compressor settings. I certainly can't.

Maybe one thing for young @sunvalleylaw to think about is which other branches of the post-1965 Beatles/Byrds jangle pop family tree is he interested in.

There’s the whole hyper-embellished sunshine pop thing that moves the 12-string jingle jangle into the high end of bells and woodwinds and other orchestral-suggesting flourishes. Have you ever wondered why there’s so much fucking glockenspiel on Bruce Springsteen records? It’s because dude is a total nerd for 1960s (over)production and that’s why Born to Run sounds like a high school marching band’s rendition of a pop opera concept album based on a shelved Marlon Brando and Elvis Presley motorcycle buddy road movie set during the waning years of the Truman administration.

And then there’s the power pop thing. Which basically takes its cues from The Who and The Kinks and similar and drags along whatever sonic trappings were available in 1965-1966 before acid and hippies ruined rock and roll by distracting it from boy/girl matters and amphetamines. For example, this is a very copy of a copy of a copy until you reach theoretical perfection version of how jangle pop becomes part of uncontroversial, no arguments power pop (which is a genre that people love to fucking argue about because all the fans are trainspotting anorak otaku dweebs with no lives or friends and they #donotfuq).

Eventually this gets codified as skinny tie and striped shirt music and bands like the dBs or REM aren’t exactly not not doing stuff in this vein—because Big Star and the Velvets have a hand in this sensibility, and a lot of the ‘70s/‘80s US underground college rock shit is from that line. Same thing with the Smiths and their UK progeny. Basically you’ve got bands going back to “the source” after punk fizzled and the EVERYTHING NEW utopian/dystopian post-punk moment played out—it kinda happens all across the board with post-punk or post-punk adjacent music. There’s kind of a retreat to old ways—the Mekons discovering country music and doing cow punk. The Cure and The Banshees tempering their post-punk gothic gloom with candy psychedelia. Bowie becoming a Reagan-/Thatcher-age avatar of neo-50s pop nostalgia. Various other smarter observations that I’ll need more coffee to think of.

And then there’s the other main tangent of jangle moving forward which is based on a couple songs on the Velvet’s first record and the general vibes of their third and fourth albums. Basically the “pretty VU” stuff. Entire bands existed to mine this vein (Galaxy 500/Luna anyone?) and this often gets bundled up with the Ramones’ commitment to girl group melodies and with various levels of noise and sophistication/lack thereof and runs through “cool table” rock forever and ever amen. I mean, that’s what the Jesus and Mary Chain and Love and Rockets were working with. It’s in the Pixies. It’s in the margins of REM and GBV records. You can squint and hear it in MBV and shoegaze. And then, of course, all the bands that ripped those bands off. This is the stuff that is the least jingle-jangle sounding but the parts and melodic/harmonic sensibilities are there, just kind of fucked up and off kilter. You can hear it happening in bands like Real Estate or Mac DeMarco or any of those other stoner dad hat handsome grandson millenial indie rockers running their shit through a million chorus pedals.

To answer this question long after it was posed, probably more these two categories. But I might not kick the other one out of bed for eating crackers.

To answer this question long after it was posed, probably more these two categories. But I might not kick the other one out of bed for eating crackers.

Peen just nailed the 'jangle' thing thoughtfully and eloquently, so I will be brief. Compressor is your friend, in fact it is essential. Compressor is like the hot girl photo filter on your clean-to-breaking-up guitar. It makes everything sound better. You go from 'oh yeah, boring arpeggio' to 'instant Byrds/Johnny Marr!'

Peen just nailed the 'jangle' thing thoughtfully and eloquently, so I will be brief. Compressor is your friend, in fact it is essential. Compressor is like the hot girl photo filter on your clean-to-breaking-up guitar. It makes everything sound better. You go from 'oh yeah, boring arpeggio' to 'instant Byrds/Johnny Marr!'

Indeed! One shouldn't be afraid to experiment and stray from convention. While I guess most of us don't own two or more comps in a pedal format, you can easily set up a signal chain with a comp in each end using plugins or a multi effects unit. The first one will box in the input and the second will even out frequency peaks from the amp, modulation, delays and reverb.

For recording I use the Klanghelm MJUC for pretty much everything except strings and synths. It sounds really awesome when applied aggressively to piano rhythm parts (think Adele for instance).

https://klanghelm.com/contents/products/MJUC

Back