2022 Concert Thread

Yngwie is highly entertaining, for about 2 or 3 songs. I saw him a few years ago and it was well worth the 20 or so dollars I paid it. And I couldn’t even name one of his songs.
I haven't seen him in 15 years. I think I'm going. It's at a small club 15 minutes away. I had fun the last time.
I did get tackled by the woman I was with while holding 2 expensive whiskey and Cokes. The bouncers scolded her and asked if I was okay. Those guys should be working The Oscars.

Yes, Yngwie is both terrible and entertaining.

Also, Dead & Co dates dropped today…also terrible and entertaining, but in a different way.

Got tickets to see Tears for Fears in Tampa June 10th. My 10 year old wanted to go, not that I don't. He has memorized every lyric to about 20 of their most popular songs. #proudpapa

Reactions: jbj
So we booked Gaslight Anthem tickets and 3 nights in Berlin. I can taste the Currywurst already.

Suppose I better renew my passport, it's apparently taking upto 10 weeks to get it done

Billy Strings time! This new outdoor venue in Austin is really nice.

AA3D22F4-A355-4222-A873-9F9B62AA630E.jpeg

Quick concert report: I expected it to be amazing and was not disappointed. Mrs Roach stayed awake for the whole show; the only other time that happened was at Bella Fleck & The Flecktones. :grin:

They were, without a doubt, the loudest all-acoustic band without drums I have ever heard. But it wasn’t just loud, the sound quality was outstanding. The bass sound in particular was as good as any I have heard, including any kind of bass, not just upright. Big, deep and ballsy when required. All the instruments appeared to be plugged in (rather than miked). They are definitely stretching the boundaries of what qualifies as “acoustic.”

A surprise for me was how good of a singer Mr. Strings is. Generally unstrained and relaxed, he can get into overdrive territory when he pushes it. His vocal sound and style might be the most traditional bluegrass-sounding aspect of the whole enterprise.

His guitar playing is insanely good, as expected. He handles all the fast runs and tricky licks without breaking a sweat. And the other players in the band are right there with him, just an amazing group.

The only slight disappointment was no Dead songs in the set list. And I forgot to eat my magic gummy before we left.

Here is the set list: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/billy-strings/2022/moody-amphitheater-austin-tx-bb6198a.html

And here’s a crappy pic:

E0E2DE34-AA3F-4E7A-AEF3-C04D6E6F1CE4.jpeg

Going to see John Fogerty Sunday night at the St. Augustine Amphitheater. I'm seeing more live music in 2022 than I have in the last 10 years!

It's been a few years since I saw Fogerty, but man that was a fine show. Have a great time!
Fogerty was awesome. Still singing and ripping like it was 1970.
He played the modded Rickenbocker that he had at Woodstock. Told the story that he gave it away and his wife tracked it down 44 years later. That was cool.
One son was on second lead guitar and another on guitar and back up vocals.
They did Good Golly Miss Molly and his son Tyler sang it. That guy can dance EXACTLY like Little Richard.
The venue was top tier. Went with my dad and my 16 year old. We got a lot of "Oh that's so cool!" as people would ask if we were 3 generations.

I’m generally not super into heavy breathing indoor concert times quite yet. (I accompanied my father to a Del Amitri reunion show last month and the security required a full body cavity search but no vax card or mask recommendation.). However, I am braving the wilds to see Pom Pom Squad at Schubas as I missed them opening for Fenne Lily and Illuminati Hotties back in March and I super wanna catch them b/c I hear they’re rad live.

I’m generally not super into heavy breathing indoor concert times quite yet. (I accompanied my father to a Del Amitri reunion show last month and the security required a full body cavity search but no vax card or mask recommendation.). However, I am braving the wilds to see Pom Pom Squad at Schubas as I missed them opening for Fenne Lily and Illuminati Hotties back in March and I super wanna catch them b/c I hear they’re rad live.
I enjoyed that Fogerty was at an amphitheater last night.

Fogerty was awesome. Still singing and ripping like it was 1970.
He played the modded Rickenbocker that he had at Woodstock. Told the story that he gave it away and his wife tracked it down 44 years later. That was cool.
One son was on second lead guitar and another on guitar and back up vocals.
They did Good Golly Miss Molly and his son Tyler sang it. That guy can dance EXACTLY like Little Richard.
The venue was top tier. Went with my dad and my 16 year old. We got a lot of "Oh that's so cool!" as people would ask if we were 3 generations.
I love the St Augustine Amphitheater. Very cool venue.

I love the St Augustine Amphitheater. Very cool venue.
Shockingly it was the first time I'd been there. The weather was perfect and next show we'll be going early to hang out and eat. Not a bad seat in the house.

Back