2016-17 NFL Thread.

I'm thinking that Atlanta just may be able to knock off the Seahawks. Nothing I've seen from Seattle makes me believe that they are the team they were a few years ago...

As far as the other game goes, it will be the Corporate-Media-Proclaimed "America's Team" against the ACTUAL America's Team (smallest city in pro sports, only team owned by shareholders in the state, etc.) There are a lot of reasons why all right-thinking people love the Packers and hate the Cowboys.

I'm thinking that Atlanta just may be able to knock off the Seahawks. Nothing I've seen from Seattle makes me believe that they are the team they were a few years ago...

As far as the other game goes, it will be the Corporate-Media-Proclaimed "America's Team" against the ACTUAL America's Team (smallest city in pro sports, only team owned by shareholders in the state, etc.) There are a lot of reasons why all right-thinking people love the Packers and hate the Cowboys.
Could be. Depends on the focus and who suits up and shows up to play. the team seems a little wonky that way this year. But, Go Seahawks!

EDIT: @bsman , But, in addition to the above, I like to think that going into an away game against the Falcons, arguably as underdogs, similar to how they did a few years ago, will help with the motivation. Things like that seem to motivate this team.

upload_2017-1-9_15-44-33.png

Could be. Depends on the focus and who suits up and shows up to play. the team seems a little wonky that way this year. But, Go Seahawks!

EDIT: @bsman , But, in addition to the above, I like to think that going into an away game against the Falcons, arguably as underdogs, similar to how they did a few years ago, will help with the motivation. Things like that seem to motivate this team.

This is perhaps the most interesting matchup of the weekend, because it IS such a toss of the dice given the ups and downs each team has had. I really don't know what to expect from this one.

Welker wasn't shipped to the Broncos. He was a free agent and followed the money to Denver. Welker led the league in receptions 3 times and is the franchise leader in receptions. A quick search for Welker dropped passes only gets me the one he "dropped" in the super bowl. It would have been a hell of a catch because it was thrown over the wrong shoulder (or maybe he turned the wrong way) but he had to jump backwards and do a 180 to get his hands on it. But I am not a Pats fan, so I usually only catch their playoff and super bowls. All I know, is I would have loved to have Welker on my team.

I am aware that Welker went for the money because he asked for more money than the Pats were willing to pay him. I say shipped because we fans didn't want him anymore - ship him out!!! Your search with good intentions will not show many of his dropped catches during the SB and some of the playoff games. Yes he led the league 3x but sadly dropped passes that were key to certain playoff games.

As a PATS that follows and watched all of those games, I saw too many dropped balls. Riche Caldwell sadly was the worse. He dropped passes where he was wide open and only the lines on the field stood between him and the Touchdown.

Last edited:
The Hawks-Falcons game should be good. Seahawks don't do as well away from home typically but it's hard to figure out which team will show up. Falcons are flying (sic) under the radar this year which is good for them I think.

Pat-Texans won't be worth watching IMO. Pats are far better and Texans have no offense. They frankly got lucky getting a 3 string QB to play his first NFL start and a Raiders team with a relatively poor defense. If Carr plays Raiders likely win

Packers-Cowboys could be really good. Cowboys are playing well and have probably the best Oline in football but Rogers is on another level right now. Looks like Nelson will be out though. Packers are pretty decent against the run but not so much against the pass. And they won't have Green Bay weather as a 12th man :grin:. I think the boys win though I would prefer the Pack.

Steelers-Chiefs could also be pretty good. Both teams have decent offenses now with real game breakers on both sides. KC's D is much better than the Steelers even though they have gotten better over the last half of the season. Arrowhead is a tough place to win for the road team so have to give KC the advantage in a close one

Hopefully these sets of games are better than the WC games...all of them were pretty much blowouts (I didn't see the Lions/Hawks game but that was the impression I got...not that close)

You called that. The Seahawks certainly had poor luck but they also had poor discipline. Pete is the perfect pro in the press conference afterwards (watching now).

Poor luck, injuries, some poor discipline, continuing O line issues, all the of the above. But the Falcons had the eye of the tiger going tonight. Good team. No excuses from me for the Seahawks.

Now, tonight, for the first time that I can ever remember, I am pulling for Dallas. I am tired of GB, who has seemed to become whiny to me. I would like to see Rodgers denied again.

I watched Texan receivers drop two TD passes, on different drives. Game would at least been closer.

Poor luck, injuries, some poor discipline, continuing O line issues, all the of the above. But the Falcons had the eye of the tiger going tonight. Good team. No excuses from me for the Seahawks.

Now, tonight, for the first time that I can ever remember, I am pulling for Dallas. I am tired of GB, who has seemed to become whiny to me. I would like to see Rodgers denied again.

O line way more than anything else. I'll be pulling for the Cowboys, at least today.

Brady is amazing. As I watched I couldn't help but think how long he has been playing at that extremely high level. I missed Gronk too.

48% completetion, 2 TDs and 2 picks and that's amazing? I know I can be overly critical of Brady, but those are Tebow like numbers.

Reactions: Tig
O line way more than anything else. I'll be pulling for the Cowboys, at least today.
I have been concerned about the O line since the winning Superbowl year. There have been some times when they attained some level of success on the front line, but it would never last. Well, we will see what things look like next year. Some of the old key figures with salaries may move on (no knowledge, just guessing) who knows.

Back