Things you miss about cars from days of yore

Side mirrors set way, way far forward.
daac267834fa83486719bb1039e4fdff.jpg

I think of that as a JDM only thing but I don't know if that's true. Not particularly functional but it's a classic look.

I miss the sound of a Quadrajet 4 barrel carb with the breather top turned upside down being floored on a Chevy 350 engine. I miss the feeling of dropping the clutch on said engine and winding all 4 gears to redline on one of the 3 back roads we did so in high school.
I was going to post something similar to this. The sound of that second pair of barrels opening up, and the resulting roar, was glorious.

I do miss one thing about my old Camaro. I swapped in a straight 6 from a 1963 chevy2. There was nothing you could do to the engine that couldn't be done from under the hood (including draining the oil). Other than spark plug wires, the engine had about 5 other wires on it. To say that it was simple to keep running is an understatement.

On the other hand, it seemed like it always needed something fixed. Water pump, plugs and points, choke pull-off...

I think of that as a JDM only thing but I don't know if that's true. Not particularly functional but it's a classic look.
the purpose for the side mirrors being up on the fenders is a racing thing. helps you see someone coming up your side without you having to change your focal plane, when you're going 130+. in fact you can practically see them just with peripheral vision.
on street cars, they're just there to look cool. :thu:

Nothing really. I can’t wait everybody drives electric cars.
I may be an odball, but I have never really been into cars. To me they are tools to get me to places.
I’m certainly not a car guy by mericuhn Standards or even British standards. I’m with you in that cars are tools but some tools are built to last and are functional first and foremost, they should also be durable and reliable and even field repairable. A good tool is not trendy, it doesn’t ave unnecessary bells and whistles.

why can’t you wait till everybody drives electric? Do you not think car guys will exist then? They certainly will

I miss buttons and dials and knobs that each performed a discrete function. I don’t want to navigate menus to change the music
My car still has those and yours could too… who says you gotta drive a new smartphone and if you are driving one then there’s nobody to blame but yourself.

today I worked on a 1999 Chevy metro with a 1.0 3 cylinder and manual transmission. It was glorious. I honestly want one of those now. It was a beater to boot but everything about it was awesome

My car still has those and yours could too… who says you gotta drive a new smartphone and if you are driving one then there’s nobody to blame but yourself.

today I worked on a 1999 Chevy metro with a 1.0 3 cylinder and manual transmission. It was glorious. I honestly want one of those now. It was a beater to boot but everything about it was awesome

Im not saying I miss everything about old cars. New cars are better for my purposes in most ways. Rust, for example. New auto finishes are light years better than old ones WRT preventing rust. Its probably not a consideration in the land of dry heat, but here in Pennsaltvania it’s a big one

and the 4 door pickup is a great format for our family, but didn’t really exist 20 yrs ago

etc etc.

I really just want new cars to have some old car features

Im not saying I miss everything about old cars. New cars are better for my purposes in most ways. Rust, for example. New auto finishes are light years better than old ones WRT preventing rust. Its probably not a consideration in the land of dry heat, but here in Pennsaltvania it’s a big one

and the 4 door pickup is a great format for our family, but didn’t really exist 20 yrs ago

etc etc.

I really just want new cars to have some old car features

crew cab/double cab trucks were very common by y2k….22 years ago

I’m certainly not a car guy by mericuhn Standards or even British standards. I’m with you in that cars are tools but some tools are built to last and are functional first and foremost, they should also be durable and reliable and even field repairable. A good tool is not trendy, it doesn’t ave unnecessary bells and whistles.

why can’t you wait till everybody drives electric? Do you not think car guys will exist then? They certainly will
I want fossil fuels to go away. And yes, I know batteries still have problems, but those can be solved. And also that electricity comes from somewhere, and that can be solved too. And is.

I think in the shorter run, plug in hybrids where you can get your in town trips done from juice you get from plugging into your garage, and gas when you need it for road trips, are a good stepping stone. But, I want fossil fuels and ICE motors in the rear view mirror. And transportation to be completely transformed in the populated areas (more mass transit) with cars being more for: road trips, out of town stuff, rural areas where public transportation is not practical, special trips where public transportation doesn't work, etc.

Back