Things you miss about cars from days of yore

Non-digital shit.
The digital odometer on my Ford Explorer Sport Track took a dump 4 miles after the warranty expired. Highly suspect.
The smart screen/ digital sterio touch screen on my Chevy Colorado became possesed by an entity. Also 4 miles after the warranty expired.
A few other high tech gadgets have not went the distance.

Black Sabbath wrote a song about it.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really miss GM's separate door and ignition keys.
AQ-3yR1i9F9MTk7tMjTJGqMqsNE7Qs36aWdd-KHTk7o.jpg
I liked that my 65 Mustang had a different key for the trunk. I had that car in high school, so I would put the beer in the trunk and hide the trunk key under the carpet. So if I ever got pulled over, I could tell the cop I don’t have the key to the trunk :grin:

i think i'd change the oil & filter before i tried to run it. :idea:
We’ve fired up some 1960s Land Rovers that hadn’t been run since the early 80s. Those old engines were inefficient but they were durable and forgiving :wink:
I just put new wires which are way too long:embarrassed: and plugs in and I actually had it running for 2seconds after spraying starting fluid in the carb.waiting for the boss to get back so he can go get me some gas. I’m gonna fill the carb bowl with gas and try and run it longer. I expect the carb to leak but who knows. It’s a reman Quadrajet that doesn’t look like it had a lot of. Miles on it, the linkage never even stuck when I activated it
89A096E0-67C6-4CE9-AC66-2E2E51E2C6DE.jpeg

Rubber floors. It’s an old truck thing but every car should have them IMO

Why do cars all need carpeted floors that we then cover with rubber floor mats so we don’t damage them?

Whos out there kicking off their shoes and soaking up the wall to wall luxury of fine Corinthian CAR-pet?

Nobody.
Carpet in cars makes about as much sense as it does in 80s bathrooms.

Last edited:
that looks like a fun adventuremobile and is very much the reason why I’m not quite ready to go all-in on EVs
I will on the truck when e-trucks can do what I need this truck to do. But not there yet. Range goes way down with towing and carrying the camper. Plenty of torque and what not when the range issue can be solved.

I will on the truck when e-trucks can do what I need this truck to do. But not there yet. Range goes way down with towing and carrying the camper. Plenty of torque and what not when the range issue can be solved.
i guess when they stop screwing around with batteries and get with the DiLithium crystals, you'll be able to drive to alpha centari on one charge :idea:

Rubber floors. It’s an old truck thing but every car should have them IMO

Why do cars all need carpeted floors that we then cover with rubber floor mats so we don’t damage them?

Whos out there kicking off their shoes and soaking up the wall to wall luxury of fine Corinthian CAR-pet?

Nobody.
Carpet in cars makes about as much sense as it does in 80s bathrooms.
concur. I always put in "rubber" style mats/floor trays anyway.

Here is something that caught my eye today about muscle cars shifting over to electric power. Interesting.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/gas-powered-muscle-cars-drive-into-the-sunset-turn-electric/

Buddy of mine has one of the newer F150 Hybrid trucks. He powered 3 full sized trailers for 2 days at the Rolex 24 earlier this year on one tank of gas. It was pretty dang impressive.
Yes, it's not full EV but it is some crazy cool technology.

Even though range does go down youre still net win on the efficiency. A friend with a rivian tows a small camper through the hills of North Carolina on the weekends and still gets better MPGe than if they drove their Subaru Outback sans trailer on the same route

Even though range does go down youre still net win on the efficiency. A friend with a rivian tows a small camper through the hills of North Carolina on the weekends and still gets better MPGe than if they drove their Subaru Outback sans trailer on the same route
Yes I can see that. My problem is living at altitude, and wanting to haul a slide in camper, and pull a boat over an 8700 foot pass, into regions where there is no charging infrastructure yet. It will all get there, and certainly electric motors can do it. Just won't do the geographically remote and heavy stuff I want yet. Of course, the boat is another thing that burns carbon fuels. And that is a ways off. But meanwhile, looking to reduce carbon fuels where I can. Hoping with the new act, I can get going on solar for my home, and the vast majority of my transportation. Other than road trips, camping trips, and air travel. And switch to mostly, if not all, solar powered heating and cooling in the home. Want to swap out the GFA for a heat pump, now that they can work where I live.

Funny enough, Walking the dogs this morning and there are 3 1st gen double cab tacos with in a few blocks of my house
PXL_20220818_161537248.jpg

Funny enough, Walking the dogs this morning and there are 3 1st gen double cab tacos with in a few blocks of my house
View attachment 76860
I liked those trucks. Pretty close to same platform my 90 4runner was on. As an aside, mine was a 5 speed, and got better mileage than my friend's identical one other than color and it having a slush box. At least with him driving.

I liked those trucks. Pretty close to same platform my 90 4runner was on. As an aside, mine was a 5 speed, and got better mileage than my friend's identical one other than color and it having a slush box. At least with him driving.

yeah, the 2nd gen 4r is the same basic platform as the precursor to the Tacoma, the Toyota “Pickup” in North America through 1994 and Hilux elsewhere

that looks awesome but I can honestly say I’ve never seen one before. And I’m a Toyota truck fanboi. Maybe they didnt ship many to the northeast?

They did but the 1st gens are rust magnets and road salt is their kryptonite. Double cabs tended to become work trucks and died early deaths. I prefer xtra cabs and can’t tell you how many rusted out turds I looked at before moving to the west coast.

edit: you wouldn’t believe all the 80s and 90s survivor vehicles still on the road out west. It’s so different from living in the salt belt.

Like my bitchin taco and my former neighbor's delica van in the background
IMG_20190521_101151_498.jpg

Last edited:
that looks awesome but I can honestly say I’ve never seen one before. And I’m a Toyota truck fanboi. Maybe they didnt ship many to the northeast?
I don't think I've ever seen one either. Perhaps they were more California /PNW

Back