Things you miss about cars from days of yore

I don't think I've ever seen one either. Perhaps they were more California /PNW

Idk what the sales stats by state were but they were definitely sold in the mid-Atlantic region…along with the 1st Gen Tundra double cabs.

edit: just checked a few used car sites and you can find 1st gen DCs mostly for sale in the south, south east and west coast….which makes sense given they’re regions that don’t salt roads.

but here’s one in Hazelton

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1c7cf4c0-1860-44bd-a6ab-d1e682644273/

ny
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0aeea37b-015d-4bda-a17e-b5ebcf5f0162/

pennsauken
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8d3d73fc-2e73-4458-a9c5-eeb520f7abf0/

thorndale
[URL]https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/4ffb0076-de5d-425f-8ea3-0c5ad5102f39/
[/URL]

Last edited:
I don't think I've ever seen one either. Perhaps they were more California /PNW
They were VERY popular in the Seattle area. You would see some in the 70's (not tacomas, Toyota pick ups and the first 4Runner), but really took off in the 80's and in the 90's with the Tacoma series. And I was living in Tacoma at the time, after having been in Seattle for school in the 80's.

Idk what the sales stats by state were but they were definitely sold in the mid-Atlantic region…along with the 1st Gen Tundra double cabs.

edit: just checked a few used car sites and you can find 1st gen DCs mostly for sale in the south, south east and west coast….which makes sense given they’re regions that don’t salt roads.

but here’s one in Hazelton

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/1c7cf4c0-1860-44bd-a6ab-d1e682644273/

ny
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/0aeea37b-015d-4bda-a17e-b5ebcf5f0162/

pennsauken
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/8d3d73fc-2e73-4458-a9c5-eeb520f7abf0/

thorndale

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/4ffb0076-de5d-425f-8ea3-0c5ad5102f39/
now that I think of it looking at your links I probably have seen a couple but they are fairly rare in the wild.

They were VERY popular in the Seattle area. You would see some in the 70's (not tacomas, Toyota pick ups and the first 4Runner), but really took off in the 80's and in the 90's with the Tacoma series. And I was living in Tacoma at the time, after having been in Seattle for school in the 80's.
Was it weird at first seeing the Tacoma in Tacoma or Seattle? I remember seeing Hyundai Tucson's and going :eek:

i kinda miss the floor vents.

th

I actually quite enjoy the feel and functionality of modern cars. We have a six-speed manual mini-SUV that is quick, easy, fun and pleasant to drive and feels very safe with stability control, TC and ABS, cameras, sensors and whatnot.

That said, I have fond memories of learning to drive in much more simple vehicles. My uncle taught me how to drive in a mid-80s Daihatsu Rocky that was pretty rudimentary in comparison, I guess. I was 13-14, I think, and I also got to drive other similar 4x4s, tractors, shoot guns, handle horses, paint barns and all sorts of other farm work, swear and kiss a few girls, so my memories of the car itself are kinda blurry, and I suppose I just associate that sort of more old-school car with fun and exciting times.

I do remember the Rocky was so strong and forgiving that you couldn't really stall it, and when set in low and 4x4 you could even get it rolling in fourth gear if you were careful with the clutch. In first gear low and 4x4 you could stand outside, reach through the open window and flip the key and it would start rolling on its own no pedals touched and then you could just walk along with it (don't ever tell my aunt we did that or she'll slap me!). In many ways it was a no-brainer to drive, but I'm glad I learned to drive manual and w/o hill assist and all that at an early age.

So if I miss anything about cars from the days of yore, it's probably a mix of happy memories and the simplicity and 'mechanical' feel, for lack of better terms.

I actually quite enjoy the feel and functionality of modern cars. We have a six-speed manual mini-SUV that is quick, easy, fun and pleasant to drive and feels very safe with stability control, TC and ABS, cameras, sensors and whatnot.

That said, I have fond memories of learning to drive in much more simple vehicles. My uncle taught me how to drive in a mid-80s Daihatsu Rocky that was pretty rudimentary in comparison, I guess. I was 13-14, I think, and I also got to drive other similar 4x4s, tractors, shoot guns, handle horses, paint barns and all sorts of other farm work, swear and kiss a few girls, so my memories of the car itself are kinda blurry, and I suppose I just associate that sort of more old-school car with fun and exciting times.

I do remember the Rocky was so strong and forgiving that you couldn't really stall it, and when set in low and 4x4 you could even get it rolling in fourth gear if you were careful with the clutch. In first gear low and 4x4 you could stand outside, reach through the open window and flip the key and it would start rolling on its own no pedals touched and then you could just walk along with it (don't ever tell my aunt we did that or she'll slap me!). In many ways it was a no-brainer to drive, but I'm glad I learned to drive manual and w/o hill assist and all that at an early age.

So if I miss anything about cars from the days of yore, it's probably a mix of happy memories and the simplicity and 'mechanical' feel, for lack of better terms.
To me, that old mechanical, ICE feel is starting to feel like coal driven steam trains to me. Old tech.

CD players. 6x9 speakers that were easily swapped for a way better 6x9 speaker. Maybe that’s still a thing, I dunno

Honestly, gonna be an unpopular one, but I miss minivans and I want an extremely successful comeback.

You try travelling with a wife, 3 kids, 3 dogs, and @DdBob , not to mention luggage or musical instruments or whatever.

Honestly, gonna be an unpopular one, but I miss minivans and I want an extremely successful comeback.

You try travelling with a wife, 3 kids, 3 dogs, and @DdBob , not to mention luggage or musical instruments or whatever.
Good point. I want that sort of transportation to be electrified also. That old toyota mini van that resembled a black cherry jellybean was one of our best vehicles ever.

I miss setting the advance, cranking it a couple of times to get gas to the updraft carb. Then setting the hand throttle, turning on the switch and cranking until it fired smashing my hand on the bumper. I miss the gas pedal being in the middle and the non-synchro gear box. Tearing down the road with the 400 cid 4 cylinder roaring away at a mind boggling 17 mph. And having to take the bottom of the seat out to put gas in.
upload_2022-8-23_0-25-31.jpeg

The Dodge Grand caravan is still being made but honestly I can't think of any others but as I said (from the trunk) in your Volvo last ride "what I don't like about new cars is the insane cost of repairs and there also always seems to be some sort of warning light on the dash"

The Dodge Charger EV will still have toxic masculinity.....BUT honestly EV's should have some noise so you know they are coming....not stupid exhaust noise but maybe something nice like an ice cream truck jingle , or the sound of a happy puppy dog playing fetch, maybe the purr of a kitten or even wind chimes in the wind

not this :mad:

I miss that I could sit on the hood and recline to lay flat on my back and the hood wouldn't bend in, or sit on the fender. I haven't been compelled to sit on the fender of new cars...maybe it's possible.

The hand crank you took out to turn the engine over to fire it up
lifting the floormat to get access to the floorboard hole to check the brake master cylinder fluid
pumping the gas pedal 3 times before cold start in the morning
driving around without the car yelling at you to put the seatbelt on (I literally had to yell at a car last week "fuck off, no, I don't want to") whilst driving and it was distracting....I could got in an accident because of it
big knobs on the radio

Back