Things you miss about cars from days of yore

damn....you caught it too fast.
i was gonna make a comment about the flintstonemobile. :lol:
I forgot to add that on newer cars it’s not uncommon to have to pull the intake plenum in order to even check a spark plug like say if you have a misfire…or on a later model (2002 or so and up ) Ford truck they give you almost three hours labor to change plugs. sure the interval of doing a tune up is now at about 100,000 miles but it can cos5 like 7 or 800 dollars

I see what yer trying to do and that was the case in the real old cars but read my post below...by the 90's and early 2000's they had shit dialed in, reliable, low maintenance, etc then they ruined it. Also I have often thought that the gas milage, emmissions thing is kinda catch 22...the better gas milage the more people drive...the more comfy the ride the more people drive...the more people drive the more fossil fuels we use to ship repair parts, make tires, burn fuel and ship cars across the world.

when I started wrenching in 1992 seeing a customer come in with 20,00 miles a year was a head turner nowadays it's not uncommon to see a car come in with 30 or even 40,000 miles a year. Cars last longer milage wise but people keep cars shorter periods of time now (gotta keep up with the joneses) A car that is 8 years old with 270,000 miles is alot different than a 30 year old car with 140,000

This is very true. Components are machined and fit so perfect now. We would build crude hot rods and just beat the devil out of them and then as long as we didn’t damage the block, build them again. Still, I remember going to junk yards looking for a good block to use with my dad.

Yeah, I really miss GM's separate door and ignition keys.
AQ-3yR1i9F9MTk7tMjTJGqMqsNE7Qs36aWdd-KHTk7o.jpg

Mostly this (I still have a turn key ignition). When I tried to pull out a dead battery from my 2016 Ford,I just about had to shimmy down my steering column to get to one of the bolts holding it down
yea, there's all kinds of shit in the way of my battery. last week one of my coworkers needed a jump start, i opened my hood and i couldn't even get the cables on the posts, there was so much shit in the way :mad:

Gee my car still has most things that you guys hate about cars (though I might not keep it much longer simply because I don't drive all that much these days). I am going to miss it when it's gone though it's fun to drive (1997 Acura Integra GS-R)

I was thinking the other day I miss vent windows and the whistling noise they would make at highway speeds

Gee my car still has most things that you guys hate about cars (though I might not keep it much longer simply because I don't drive all that much these days). I am going to miss it when it's gone though it's fun to drive (1997 Acura Integra GS-R)

Can relate. I’m driving a 1998 Toyota

I was thinking the other day I miss vent windows and the whistling noise they would make at highway speeds

if you had the ones that opened either way, if you had the front side & they’d scoop a ton of air into the car

I just got a new (used) car (a low end 2015 Hyundai) that has both a physical key AND a cd player. I've actually really been digging the cd player because I found a box of cds from I think maybe college in my recent move and I've been rediscovering a bunch of old hip hop on my commutes to and from work.

My car before this one was a 95 corolla that I cracked 220,000 miles with (it didn't have a cd player, it had a tape deck), and I think I like this strategy of staying waaaay behind the curve in vehicular innovation/niceness - this super basic plain jane hatchback feels like a luxury sports car compared to the ol' corolla. It's gonna be pretty awesome in 20 years when I get something with a backup camera and bluetooth

Back