The Baseball Thread.....

riddle me this, batman. why the hell did the Padres hire Paul DePodesta and then have him do relatively nothing instead of exploiting his talents?

No clue.

This is just one of a thousand questions that I have asked over the years in terms of the Padres and why they did or did not do something.

This is a tough town to be a Sports fan in. Between the Padres never ending cycle of near misses followed by complete collapse and inevitably, a fire sale, to the Chargers ownership/AJ SMith having their heads so far up their asses they have to unzip their fly to see where they are... I just don't know. I only know that it's brutal.

Two words:

Brad Hawpe

:facepalm:

Two more words (if you follow NFL news)

Bob Sanders

:facepalm:
 
No clue.

This is just one of a thousand questions that I have asked over the years in terms of the Padres and why they did or did not do something.

This is a tough town to be a Sports fan in. Between the Padres never ending cycle of near misses followed by complete collapse and inevitably, a fire sale, to the Chargers ownership/AJ SMith having their heads so far up their asses they have to unzip their fly to see where they are... I just don't know. I only know that it's brutal.

Two words:

Brad Hawpe

:facepalm:

Two more words (if you follow NFL news)

Bob Sanders

:facepalm:

interesting.

well, thank ownership for letting him go. he's completely remaking the Mets farm system. only time will tell if it bears out, but his approach, given that he actually has one, is better than the past 20 or so years.
 
Ouch. That was poignant.

it was really well done. all of those things happened. and that Giamatti quote may just be his lasting legacy.

but despite all of this, the organization is stronger than it was at the end of the season last year and will continue to get stronger next year. and as long as the Phils and Yankees don't make for a ho-hum World Series, the postseason should be pretty good.
 
as a baseball fan, what's going on right now is absolutely amazing. extras in two games and the Sox/O's resuming in about 5 minutes.

it really doesn't matter who wins now. this is incredible.
 
Yeah man. This is great. Even better since my Cards won. A game tomorrow would be interesting but I'd rather just have the Phils beat Atlanta and move on.
 
The Cards don't really scare me as a Phils fan. They're hot right now, but as long as you pitch around Pujols and Berkman and work deep counts to try to knock the starters out early, Phils have a good chance (even after losing 3 of 4 to them last week). Their bullpen is terrible and they have a bunch of guys with little to no playoff experience. Doesn't hurt that we have homefield advantage and some of our guys have good numbers in St. Louis. Should be a good series, baseball has been crazy this year.
 
The Cards don't really scare me as a Phils fan. They're hot right now, but as long as you pitch around Pujols and Berkman and work deep counts to try to knock the starters out early, Phils have a good chance (even after losing 3 of 4 to them last week). Their bullpen is terrible and they have a bunch of guys with little to no playoff experience. Doesn't hurt that we have homefield advantage and some of our guys have good numbers in St. Louis. Should be a good series, baseball has been crazy this year.

Oh I don't think the Cards will beat Philly, I just think of the three other teams in the NL playoffs they are the only one capable of doing it. And you need to add Holliday to the Cards pitch around list - if he gets healthy.
 
...if he gets healthy.

That's a big if at this point, but yeah him too. Honestly the Cards are a good team and it was surprising that they didn't wrap up the wild card sooner. I obviously am biased, but I think the Phils are the best team in the NL and arguably the best in baseball when healthy (also a big if) so I like their chances.
 
For the Astros, the end of the season was a blessing. Like a brutal beating that continued for months on end, then suddenly, and mercifully, stopped.

As a Rockies fan I could not agree more. They were terrible the entire second half...
 
The way it all came down yesterday was incredible!

Coming back from a 7-0 deficit?!

Blowing a lead in the 9th!?

Damn. Quite possibly the best final day of a season in my lifetime.
 
The way it all came down yesterday was incredible!

Coming back from a 7-0 deficit?!

Blowing a lead in the 9th!?

Damn. Quite possibly the best final day of a season in my lifetime.

Probably.....

Though the one games playoffs can be thrilling as well. The infamous Rockies/Padres game from about 5 years ago was probably the best game I have ever watched...
 
Back
Top