Pets of Wein

2 years today since we rescued Lola.

She's celebrated by hiding a rather expensive beater attachment for our Ankaskrum mixer which she thinks is a toy.

The first time I took Lola to one of our local pubs she was hyper vigilant, couldn't settle and very anxious.

The pub is just round the corner from her day care so most Mondays I'll go in for a pint on the way home - she gets lots of pets and biscuits from the staff and punters so she practically drags me through the door.

Had a bit of a James Blunt of a day in work so stayed for a few pints. Looked down and there she is fast asleep. It's lovely to see her so calm and content in a place that used to stress her out.

IMG_20220822_174255521.jpg

2 years today since we rescued Lola.

She's celebrated by hiding a rather expensive beater attachment for our Ankaskrum mixer which she thinks is a toy.

Guys what I finally found hidden under the couch...

£50 to replace it :annoyed: I chucked the chewed up one on Lola's bed, it might as well be a very expensive chew toy at this stage, she's not even sniffed it!

Been an interesting week.

She had an eye infection so we've been giving her drops and she hates it. Kept running away from me and hiding in our room (just Freudian slip typed "her" room there) but right before bed she'd wander round to my side of the bed and nudge me. She never ever does that at night so I'm taking it as her letting me know she's not really really mad at me.

Also I've really damaged my ankle. Crutches and everything. She's been madly empathetic when I've been hobbling about and wincing / crying out. She even left me in peace to have a lovely nap after work today, again something she never does.

There's a new GSD down the street. Big old thin beautiful dog. Lola keeps following his scent whenever we're on walks and howling out the window when he walks by.

New pupper has been scratching more than expected with some intensity and opened up a nice big gash on his head. The vet found he has a developing ear infection and he believes it's all the manifestation of food allergies. He got his head shaved, wound treated, ear treated and an allergy shot. He's been sporting a cone for the past few days and healing up quickly. Based on reviewing his records from the two rescues he passed through, it looks like this has been going on for a bit but not diagnosed.

Vet wants to try a novel food diet to see if he responds to a protein he hasn't had before.... problem is we don't know what he's been eating except what the last foster family was feeding him, which was a limited ingredient salmon dry and a beef canned food. We have been feeding him chicken & brown rice dry with either fish and sweet potato wet or turkey meatloaf wet. Vet wants both dogs on the same diet and no other protein introduced with treats.

We're starting of with lamb based food and waiting to see how he responds. If that's not an option I guess we're on to more obscure protein like rabbit or pork. Has anyone else gone through something similar?

New pupper has been scratching more than expected with some intensity and opened up a nice big gash on his head. The vet found he has a developing ear infection and he believes it's all the manifestation of food allergies. He got his head shaved, wound treated, ear treated and an allergy shot. He's been sporting a cone for the past few days and healing up quickly. Based on reviewing his records from the two rescues he passed through, it looks like this has been going on for a bit but not diagnosed.

Vet wants to try a novel food diet to see if he responds to a protein he hasn't had before.... problem is we don't know what he's been eating except what the last foster family was feeding him, which was a limited ingredient salmon dry and a beef canned food. We have been feeding him chicken & brown rice dry with either fish and sweet potato wet or turkey meatloaf wet. Vet wants both dogs on the same diet and no other protein introduced with treats.

We're starting of with lamb based food and waiting to see how he responds. If that's not an option I guess we're on to more obscure protein like rabbit or pork. Has anyone else gone through something similar?
New pup mojo. I've never really gone through it but read about it. Elimination is the way they find out. Chicken is one of the most common i ngrediants in dog food and treats so it's probably suspect to dogs that have allergies and I'm sure it takes a few weeks for any diet change to take effect so give it time.Commercial dog foods do contain mixes of stuff so perhaps it might even be a non protein item? give it time with what your Vet recommends but if nothing proves out then perhaps try home cooking for him.
I feed Sonny (and autumn is kinda forcing me to feed her the same as well :embarrassed: ) a mix of Dr harvey's pre mix (i used to mix it in sometimes with Callies food too) and either jasmine rice, Brown rice or Quinoa and then ground turkey, diced chicken breast or occasionally beef or fish...
The basic recipe is like 1 lb or a little more of the protein, a cup or cup and a half of the rice or quinoa and then about three of the scoops of the pre mix and that is about 2-3 days worth of 2 cups a day. generally it's two days worth for just sonny. it takes about 25 minutes start to finish and I just do it in the morning before work since they want to eat the second i walk in the door after work. So on days I cook in the morning whatever is left after rationing Sonny's meal they each get a bit and for Autumn trhat is about 1/2 cup and Sonny will have a little over a cup....they also get Bernie's perfect poop because Autumn was having some Anal gland issues but this cleared it up so i put it in both their foods a few times a week since pro and pre biotics are important to gut health and of course a good gut is important for overall health..

New pup mojo. I've never really gone through it but read about it. Elimination is the way they find out. Chicken is one of the most common i ngrediants in dog food and treats so it's probably suspect to dogs that have allergies and I'm sure it takes a few weeks for any diet change to take effect so give it time.Commercial dog foods do contain mixes of stuff so perhaps it might even be a non protein item? give it time with what your Vet recommends but if nothing proves out then perhaps try home cooking for him.

It’s a trial run for each primary protein over about 6 weeks each to determine what he will not react to. Limited ingredient brands are fine as long as they don’t use chicken/beef/fish/turkey meal or byproducts, wheat, or corn as a primary ingredient (all of which are very common in many regular brand and some limited ingredient one).
So right now lamb, then if we need to, we can move to venison, rabbit, or boar/pork. There’s also a hydrolized protein food that doesn’t trigger allergies as a baseline diet to rule out food allergies entirely.

I really don’t want to commit to buying/storage/prep/cooking raw food & ensuring the proper nutritional intake for two fairly high volume eating active dogs if it’s avoidable with a wet/dry commercial option.

We are going through something similar with our ~13 year old dog. She developed intermittent diarrhea and vomiting that our attempts to diagnosis were futile. Because of this she also lost a fair bit of weight (5 lbs on a 39 lbs dog). After a few vet visits the vet convinced us to try a special diet which is prescription (and expensive). It is also, like you were told, very strict since as the vet said you don't want to mess up the progress by introducing a variable (treat) and having to start all over again. The dog fortunately loves the new food but I'm sure hates the restrictions. After a bath she usually gets treats and yesterday, no treats, the look she gave us was very much WTF. And so far it has been working but we'll have to wait and see still since it's been less than a week but a good week so far. The vet thinks that something might have changed either in the formulation of the food or in her that doesn't agree with her. She was ok with just chicken, rice and pumpkin but when we started her old kibble to give her a more balanced diet we could only get to about 50% before we would have another incident. This is why the vet thinks it's the food. Also fortunately through out this she has been very good and never had an accident in the house though I was outside at 4am a few nights which was less than ideal for me.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. Our dog also has allergies but they appear to be related to summer in California (she doesn't have problems in the winter or when we go to Washington) so I think it's related to heat or the lack of humidity :shrug:

We are going through something similar with our ~13 year old dog. She developed intermittent diarrhea and vomiting that our attempts to diagnosis were futile. Because of this she also lost a fair bit of weight (5 lbs on a 39 lbs dog). After a few vet visits the vet convinced us to try a special diet which is prescription (and expensive). It is also, like you were told, very strict since as the vet said you don't want to mess up the progress by introducing a variable (treat) and having to start all over again. The dog fortunately loves the new food but I'm sure hates the restrictions. After a bath she usually gets treats and yesterday, no treats, the look she gave us was very much WTF. And so far it has been working but we'll have to wait and see still since it's been less than a week but a good week so far. The vet thinks that something might have changed either in the formulation of the food or in her that doesn't agree with her. She was ok with just chicken, rice and pumpkin but when we started her old kibble to give her a more balanced diet we could only get to about 50% before we would have another incident. This is why the vet thinks it's the food. Also fortunately through out this she has been very good and never had an accident in the house though I was outside at 4am a few nights which was less than ideal for me.

Hope you get to the bottom of it. Our dog also has allergies but they appear to be related to summer in California (she doesn't have problems in the winter or when we go to Washington) so I think it's related to heat or the lack of humidity :shrug:

Good luck with yours.

This guy is a bit of a mystery as we only have about 10 months of vet history prior to adoption and the couple months of food history from his time with the last foster family.

He came with a half of a big bag of Zignature salmon kibble and several cans of pedigree beef wet. We continued to feed him those then eventually switched over to the food we usually have for our other dogs with in the last two weeks.

Most likely it's either fish or beef he's allergic to so hopefully the lamb works out and we can introduce some other proteins in to maintain some variety.

Vent mentioned it's usually chicken, beef, eggs, wheat, or fish as most common triggers since they are so prevalent in pet food.

Surprisingly the prescription dog food is chicken liver, but hydrolyzed so it's easily absorbed and causes (I guess) less gut irritation.

Surprisingly the prescription dog food is chicken liver, but hydrolyzed so it's easily absorbed and causes (I guess) less gut irritation.

which one are you feeding her?

I know the ones that my vet sells are royal canin & hills; both run spendy

which one are you feeding her?

I know the ones that my vet sells are royal canin & hills; both run spendy

Hills z/d and yeah not cheap, something like $50 for 8 lbs when we were giving her stuff that was $36/40lbs. And we get the canned stuff too.

I was warned about the possiblity of needing to deal with something similar with Dart (I guess white pitties are particularly prone to allergies), but have been lucky enough to not have issues so far. Both Zignature and Natural Balance make some pretty obscure single -protein options (I swear I saw kangaroo a while back)

It’s a trial run for each primary protein over about 6 weeks each to determine what he will not react to. Limited ingredient brands are fine as long as they don’t use chicken/beef/fish/turkey meal or byproducts, wheat, or corn as a primary ingredient (all of which are very common in many regular brand and some limited ingredient one).
So right now lamb, then if we need to, we can move to venison, rabbit, or boar/pork. There’s also a hydrolized protein food that doesn’t trigger allergies as a baseline diet to rule out food allergies entirely.

I really don’t want to commit to buying/storage/prep/cooking raw food & ensuring the proper nutritional intake for two fairly high volume eating active dogs if it’s avoidable with a wet/dry commercial option.
yeah, i can see that. I do wanna stress though I don't do raw food...i cook it.

Our boys have definite scheduled times where they chase and/or play fight with each other..... one happens to be usually the one hour or so I sit down to watch a show with my wife. :embarrassed:

CatChase.jpg

Yes... this was a full... down the stairs.... race up the stairs into the bedroom... out of the bedroom... leap up onto the cat tree... "AAHHAA... I was able to pivot back and attack you!!" chase. :facepalm:

Back