OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't post a link from my phone but now Trump says Hillary was drugged up in the last debate and wants drug testing prior to the next one...

Just had to formulate some thoughts around what's coming.

Many people just don't realise that your choice of president can often have big consequences worldwide, not only in the US.
I really fail to see how people cannot see that, or that the fate of the US is also tied at least to some extent to international relations, and that populist, nationalistic, isolationist policies failed plus or minus 80-90 years ago. So basically, I fail to see how people do not realize what you are saying. To me, it comes down to a failure of education.

I really fail to see how people cannot see that, or that the fate of the US is also tied at least to some extent to international relations, and that populist, nationalistic, isolationist policies failed plus or minus 80-90 years ago. So basically, I fail to see how people do not realize what you are saying. To me, it comes down to a failure of education.

That, and contempt.

That, and contempt.
That last part is scarier to me. The rule of law, as compared to survival of the fittest and brutality, depends on at least the majority of us understanding and accepting said rule of law.
As I further reflect on what I just said, this is what makes me mad about the remainder of republican officials that have not renounced Trump. The multitude of allegations of his predatory sexual behavior, and his recorded bragging of exactly that behavior is, well, deplorable. But his threat to jail his political opponent, and his latest round of conspiracy theory (it's all rigged) excuses for the allegations, are just about treason in my opinion. Getting darned close anyway. Any respectable lawmaker needs to distance himself from that. Pence told some person at one of his appearances lately not to say that (I posted a link a few pages back), but he has not yet, to my knowledge, backed away from Trump's latest tirade. Others are also complicit IMO. The GOP and its members are going to have to make a tough choice.

Sources:
US Code on Treason, sedition, and etc. https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/part-I/chapter-115
Section on advocating to overthrow the government: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2385 (advocating

That last part is scarier to me. The rule of law, as compared to survival of the fittest and brutality, depends on at least the majority of us understanding and accepting said rule of law.

I suspect that the inherent flaws in democracy are becoming grossly apparent, like never before.

I suspect that the inherent flaws in democracy are becoming grossly apparent, like never before.
I keep the faith. It is a test, but I think we will pass it. And when we do, people like Michelle Obama, (who seems almost like a modern MLK to me right now in some respects) will help inspire the rational majority to move forward. Also thinking when I say this about the writings of Francis Fukiyama I referenced a couple pages ago when I say this. He is not too optimistic (that any of the continued polarized gridlock will improve) based on a short interview I just watched, but I am hoping the backlash to Trump will help move congress as well as elect Hillary.

Last edited:
To me, it comes down to a failure of education.

I think our broken education system is at the heart of many political problems. Most Americans know next to nothing about history, government, finance, and science. People don’t know that food safety laws exist because everything used to be adulterated with arsenic, that the clean water act was needed to stop rivers from catching fire, that labor laws were enacted to rein in child labor and deadly working conditions, that wage slavery existed, etc. etc.. And it’s only going to get worse. As bad as the boomers are, at least they went to decent public schools. In a few decades most voters will have grown up after Reagan Republicans declared war on public schools. An America run by millennials is FUCKED.

What does not rhyme with teenie weenie: hands, penis, brain, heart, soul, ...

She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was as nervous as she could be
She was afraid to come out of the locker
She was afraid that somebody would see
Two three four
Tell the people what she wore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back