OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my high school teachers was a close friend of Jimmy Carter. She said he failed as President because he tried to do literally everything himself, instead of relying on his staff and cabinet to help handle things idn_smilie

And that conflicts with accounts who were in actually in the White House at the time.

Just go back and watch the 'Crisis of Confidence' speech. It's amazing. 100% prescient and relevant. Informed by expert opinion. And, if the electorate supported his vision, it's amazing to think what could have been accomplished. Alas. Reagan showed up promising sunshine and rainbows, and people bought it.

EDIT: really, it's the same debate over and over and over again... "I don't want to do right by my country, my kids, my grandkids, the poor, etc., I just want to the instant gratification of "make morning in America feel great again" feels."

Last edited:
9e7d9a9c8671eb9516988d1c24c85a9c.jpg

I'm just going on what my teacher said. I don't remember the particulars, but I think her husband (a Colonel in one of the armed forces) knew Carter from somewhere. And knew him well enough to have had private dinners with the Carters in the White House, from what she and her daughter, a classmate of mine, had said.

The fact that Trump is in the race just illustrates how pissed-off the public is with the system/status quo. Sure, he's a crappy choice, but he was the only choice from the GOP that was not from within the system. Of course, the Dems had Bernie, who also came pretty close to getting the nomination. Sum those two together and it's pretty clear how the population feels about the state of both party's offerings.

I really see no way Trump gets in, especially with all that has transpired the last week or two. What will be interesting is what happens in 2020. Will the GOP rebuild itself to a unified party again? Will Hillary run for a second term? She will be 72 in 202 and will have served 4 years in what will no doubt be a turbulent term. I for one, doubt that she will run again. I think a big part of her motivation for running was to go in the history books as the first woman president. Once she has that title, I think she'll lose interest in reelection.

I don't necessarily think it's the public at large that's seething at the status quo. A lot of people who do seethe, though, are reactionaries (not just conservatives, reactionaries) who feel that the decades' worth of progress we've made toward equality somehow diminishes their own standing as White Male - Top of the Heap ... when often, that seemed to be one of the few things they had going for them.

These people feel -- even though the vast majority of them couldn't articulate the concept to save their lives -- that others getting closer to equality has somehow eroded their own social status and, consequently, their sense of self worth. Which strengthens their animosity for those whom they feel (quite wrongly) are stealing their status.

Trump represents the unchecked, unabashed id of the GOP allowed to run loose, and these people who've been told to feel ashamed about their reactionary tendencies have latched onto him as their, pardon the expression, Great White Hope. They think (again, quite wrongly) that Trump can somehow restore their place at the top of the pile based on their gender and/or skin color. When he says "Make America Great Again" they hear "Make America White Again" and Trump has cynically and opportunistically tapped into and reinforced that undercurrent. But even if he were unthinkably elected, his entire history is a one long object lesson in narcissism: he wouldn't do anything for them, he'd do things for Trump, and Trump alone. And if they crossed him in the slighted, most imperceptible way, he'd brand them losers and haters and throw them to the wolves.

As far as the "Will the GOP rebuild itself" question goes, after their 2012 defeat, the GOP commissioned a study to tell them where they went wrong and what they can do to reverse their fortunes.

Unsurprisingly, the main points of the study's report included:
  • Pass immigration reform and stop trying to scapegoat immigrants for things that aren't their fault
  • Give minorities (particularly blacks) a greater voice and opportunities, and not only when they "Uncle Tom" it up
  • Address the right's long-standing animosity toward gays, because they are not going away
  • Perhaps putting undue focus on the well-being of the rich has been a mistake, because (deep, dark secret y'all) trickle down economics has been proven to be bullshit for almost 4 decades
  • Listen to ideas from outside the party, because apparently we've been living inside an echo chamber that (surprise) doesn't reflect the nation as a whole (aka, epistemic closure)
So, given these internally-commissioned lessons from just 4 years ago, what does the GOP do in 2016? They run a raft of presidential candidates, each crazier than the last (with perhaps two exceptions), and they end up with the batshit craziest of them all as their final nominee. And he keeps doubling down on idiocy.

You tell me if the GOP will learn from this.

Last edited:
The rape case is civil, not criminal. Losing it would have no legal impact on his standing as President.

Impeachment is not a criminal prosecution. It’s an entirely political act. If a evidence presented in a civil trial made it appear that a president had committed impeachable crimes Congress could proceed with impeachment. I don’t know if a president can be impeached for acts committed before taking office.

I don't really want to get political in here, but....the US is probably the only civilised country in the world where Trump could actually be a serious presidential candidate - something all of us Europeans think is just bizarro. We have Nigel Farage, Boris Johnson, Siv Jensen and other far right people, but Donald is on another level.
Difference is our right wing politicians over here never really find themselves in real power. Well, there was this one Austrian bloke about 80 years ago, but we've actually learned since then.

One thing all of us over here know is that bloke isn't fucking fit to run a country nevermind a business, yet it's somehow a fairly close race at this point. Unfuckingbelievable.

Do what you want with this post Mark, I just had to post it. Hopefully I'm not breaking any major rules here.
I just can't get my head around that piece of excrement actually being a serious presidential candidate. And us over here in Europe are fucking scared.
Scared, because if you guys actually elect him that could eventually get really ugly on a world scale. We're fucking terrified of the consequnces it could have over here.

With the candidates available most of us hope for Hillary, as she has the experience when it comes to foreign politics.

So far I've never seen any libertarian in any country that has something resembling a spine.

Our ugly is showing. There are sane and rational people in the USA that feel the same way. It's OK to be freaked out.

How did Trump get this close to the presidency?

1) You have the basket of deplorables. Don't know what percentage of his supporters are racist, etc. but, they do exist.

2) We have an entire network devoted to putting the best possible spin on what the republicans do. Certain people watch it and think it's actual news.

3) Our economy is fucked. Unemployment is down to around 5%, a lot better than 2008 but, everybody is working minimum wage jobs now. People are desperate and, Trump says he will fix the trade problems and bring jobs back to America. Never mind how unimaginable it is that any republican would ever do anything good for people who work for a living. He is saying what they want to hear and, I can't stress enough how desperate people are.

Impeachment is not a criminal prosecution. It’s an entirely political act. If a evidence presented in a civil trial made it appear that a president had committed impeachable crimes Congress could proceed with impeachment. I don’t know if a president can be impeached for acts committed before taking office.

If the majority of the GOP has failed to withdraw their endorsements, then I doubt that any kind of a civil suit would change their minds. At this point, I'm not sure what would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back