OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that much of America seems to believe that the purpose of gun control is solely to curb terrorism and mass shootings. Those are disagraceful, are socially traumatic, and should never happen, but are, statistically, irrelevant, the visible part of the iceberg.

I get that this is your opinion, .and that some others share it.

I would argue that this view is as extreme as the NRA's, just in the other direction. You have to realize that it will never happen. This issue will need compromise from both sides if it is to get any better, and both sides need to move toward a common middle ground.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. While the NRA shouts at the top of its lungs that gun ownership is going up to make its supporters feel like they are a rising force, the actuality is the number of people owning guns is trending down - they just own more guns per person.

If the downward trend continues, a tripping point may be reached where the NRA and all of its money can't buy enough support to stop every attempt at gun legislation that comes along. Kind of like what happened in Australia where a large majority of the citizens finally decided they'd had enough and demanded handguns be banned (more or less).

I see a possible analogy to what happened with tobacco. When there were lots of smokers, the smokers (and their money) could keep any legislation from being passed that restricted tobacco. As the number of smokers declined, a point was reached where the tobacco industry, even with almost unlimited money, couldn't buy enough politicians to protect their industry. Tobacco is now heavily restricted.

I do wonder how Pence would do against Clinton, if Trump were to pull out of the race for some reason. Pence would step up if that were to happen, right?
Not necessarily. The Republican National Committee would vote on a new candidate. And Pence is a Stepford wife, Reagan-bot Ken doll. He's can parrot taking points but not think.

Not necessarily. The Republican National Committee would vote on a new candidate. And Pence is a Stepford wife, Reagan-bot Ken doll. He's can parrot taking points but not think.
they'd be probably better off to nominate (or try to) Paul Ryan, tho i don't think he'd accept.
maybe i'm wrong.:shrug:

I saw my first Trump tv commercial today. It had a battleship at the end and seemed to be advocating for more military and border security. Unsure if Trump intended to bring back battleships, which would be kind of cool, but there it was in the commercial. It was on right after a commercial for discreet pocket catheters, so it wasn't exactly prime time tv. I saw a ton of Hillary commercials last week and this week, mainly the one questioning if Trump is a madman based on all the stuff he has said that is controversial. It seems she is rotation heavy on all channels down here, and that seems pretty different than Trump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back