OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for some good news, courtesy of the DoJ. Federal private prison use to end...Good work, O!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...471534255226&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.ca82e5543995

glad to hear that. those private systems are complete crap. the whole 'pay to stay' concept is a money grabbing sham. i realize most of the people who are incarcerated are there for a reason. but there's no reason for someone to do 5 years and come out with a $50,000 debt to the prison hanging over their head.

I can't wait to hear the excuses the GOP comes up with for keeping the private prison system going. This is going to be net neutrality all over again.

I can't wait to hear the excuses the GOP comes up with for keeping the private prison system going. This is going to be net neutrality all over again.
the only legitimate excuse they could offer for not ending the private system is that THEY are the private system and they'll loose money.:mad:

scooby.PNG

And I don't think that a private citizen should be able to own a revolver, as I said above.

I get that this is your opinion, .and that some others share it.

I would argue that this view is as extreme as the NRA's, just in the other direction. You have to realize that it will never happen. This issue will need compromise from both sides if it is to get any better, and both sides need to move toward a common middle ground.

I get that this is your opinion, .and that some others share it.

I would argue that this view is as extreme as the NRA's, just in the other direction. You have to realize that it will never happen. This issue will need compromise from both sides if it is to get any better, and both sides need to move toward a common middle ground.

I don't find it extreme, because it's common practice in much of the first world.

The left can't move to the centre, because they don't have anything to give; the status quo is far right. I think that pretty much anyone would be thrilled if any progress occurred. And then, it would be a battle of inches rather than one of lobbyists and obstructionists.

Disagree.
The idea that you can take handguns off the street is implausible. You would never get them all, and the ones left would be in the hands of the people that just don't give a fuck.

The left can abandon the idea of banning handguns and semi autos and push for the background checks that would actually do some good. As long as the idea of "banning guns" is on the table, there will be little progress if any. You have to pick the fight that is winnable and drop the fantasy.

Disagree.
The idea that you can take handguns off the street is implausible. You would never get them all, and the ones left would be in the hands of the people that just don't give a fuck.

The left can abandon the idea of banning handguns and semi autos and push for the background checks that would actually do some good. As long as the idea of "banning guns" is on the table, there will be little progress if any. You have to pick the fight that is winnable and drop the fantasy.

Every single instance of progress has been a fantasy at one point.

Disagree.

Cops get guns off the streets all the time. Because people who just don't give a fuck a great at getting arrested with guns. The problem is that there's a constant supply of new guns from states with loose gun laws and theft from people who don't store their guns responsibly.

Disagree.

This is kind of a bad point. You could also say "why is murder illegal? The people who commit just don't give a fuck and do it anyways"

You can make it illegal to posses and then after the turn in, anyone caught with a handgun, mandatory life sentence. It really isn't that hard.

I'm not advocating making all handguns illegal, I just think we could do it.

Cops get guns off the streets all the time. Because people who just don't give a fuck a great at getting arrested with guns. The problem is that there's a constant supply of new guns from states with loose gun laws and theft from people who don't store their guns responsibly.

Hello from Virginia, the state with loose gun laws.

Reactions: Tig
Those are the proverbial drop in the bucket. It's a pipe dream that will never materialize. But feel free to spin your wheels and anguish over why no progress is made.

This is kind of a bad point. You could also say "why is murder illegal? The people who commit just don't give a fuck and do it anyways"

You can make it illegal to posses and then after the turn in, anyone caught with a handgun, mandatory life sentence. It really isn't that hard.

I'm not advocating making all handguns illegal, I just think we could do it.

Hell, just take it a step further and kick down everyones doors and sweep their property with metal detectors

/sarcasm

Mandatory minimums are already proven to be ineffective, so I don't see this as any different.

Life for owning a handgun? Ridiculous. (I get you are just tossing out possibilities though)

Hell, just take it a step further and kick down everyones doors and sweep their property with metal detectors

/sarcasm

Mandatory minimums are already proven to be ineffective, so I don't see this as any different.

Life for owning a handgun? Ridiculous. (I get you are just tossing out possibilities though)

Yes just tossing out ideas. I think if you were looking at life in prison for having one illegally, you'd think twice about having one.

I'm not a fan of mandatory sentencing either. My uncle went to jail for 7 years for armed robbery. His weapon of choice, a toy Nintendo gun, you know they one that came with duck hunt. It was treated as a real gun and he had to server the mandatory. Even the pharmacist he robbed didn't want him to do jail time and testified to that in court. My uncle is a drug addict and robbed a pharmacy, the only one in real danger was himself if the pharmacist would have pulled the trigger on his real gun. He has been clean since then, but obviously his life was ruined.

Well, just look at the death sentence. One would think that would sway one from committing murder, and all killings would stop. I don't think it even passes their mind.

So since we are playing the what if...

Say Joe gun collector turns in most of his banned weapons, but keeps a keepsake Colt revolver that was handed down in his family from his great grandfather?

If that gun was somehow discovered, you (sic) would advocate the death penalty?

That's not an America I'm willing to tolerate.

Well, just look at the death sentence. One would think that would sway one from committing murder, and all killings would stop. I don't think it even passes their mind.

So since we are playing the what if...

Say Joe gun collector turns in most of his banned weapons, but keeps a keepsake Colt revolver that was handed down in his family from his great grandfather?

If that gun was somehow discovered, you (sic) would advocate the death penalty?

That's not an America I'm willing to tolerate.

Give people a designated window of time in which people can have any restricted weapons permanently decommissioned by a gunsmith.

I would never, under any circumstances, advocate the death penalty. Not for genocidal dictators, not for serial killers, not for serial rapists, not even for The Eagles.

But any positive comparison between gun laws and the death penalty are disingenuous. There is strong evidence that one has an impact, and there is strong evidence that the other has none.

I honestly wouldn't have a problem with there being a mandatory sentence for anyone firing any kind of firearm in public, even for self-defence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back