OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah, Jewell died in 2007. What an example of terrible journalism. They spent plenty of time saying he did, and like 5 seconds, saying oops my bad, dude is a hero.

Yes, that's journalism at its worst. Not fact-checked, sensationalistic, 24/7 infotainment.

Flipside, I really hate the current "fuck the media" mentality that the right has propogated. It's toxic. Good journalism is essential to any well-informed population.

And politicians who condemn the media as a single entity are disgraceful.

The Daniel Pearls, the Zabihullah Tamannas and David Gilkeys, etc., deserve as much credit and respect for maintaining liberty as any soldier.

Flipside, I really hate the current "fuck the media" mentality that the right has propogated. It's toxic. Good journalism is essential to any well-informed population.
Yeah, I really find that hard to wrap my head around. I mean, without good news media, where are you getting your news? It's also not difficult finding less biased news teams that deliver great reporting, so that shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Unless you want biased media that only tells you what you wanna hear. Which I guess is indeed the case with a number of voters, much as it pains me to admit.

Yeah, I really find that hard to wrap my head around. I mean, without good news media, where are you getting your news? It's also not difficult finding less biased news teams that deliver great reporting, so that shouldn't be an issue for anyone.

Unless you want biased media that only tells you what you wanna hear. Which I guess is indeed the case with a number of voters, much as it pains me to admit.

Again, I'm fine with bias, as lont as it's supported by facts, isn't misleading, is ethical, is respectable, is transparent, etc.

I don't have contempt for gun owners.

But I think that the 2nd amendment - or the interpretation thereof, rather - is absurd.

For a private individual, gun ownership should be a privilege, not a right. Same as driving a car. And I don't see any problem with a government putting sensible restrictions on gun ownership. I don't see a need for handguns. I don't see a need for semi-automatic weapons. I don't see a need for anyone to carry a weapon outside of the home or specified hunting zones, except in a case under lock and key.

I believe that that anyone who has a problem with any of those restrictions is disturbingly out of touch with reality, and probably shouldn't own a weapon in the first place.
Everybody also forgets the militia part, confusing the current common vernacular usage of "militia" with the fact that this was written at a time when the US didn't have an organized military and would call upon citizens to talk up their (already owned) arms for battle to protect the union.

Everybody also forgets the militia part, confusing the current common vernacular usage of "militia" with the fact that this was written at a time when the US didn't have an organized military and would call upon citizens to talk up their (already owned) arms for battle to protect the union.

600px-BB213002.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back