OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My contempt for 2nd amendment activists is well-documented. They should be ashamed of themselves, but since they aren't, they should be shamed in other ways.
There is nothing shameful, in theory, about supporting the 2nd amendment. There is a good reason why it was second only to freedom of speech in importance. What is shameful is that this right has been taken over by what is now primarily a political org, the NRA. I used to be a member, back when their focus was on teaching hunter safety, shooting skills and education. At some point that changed, and I stopped supporting them due to their ever increasingly militant mailings demanding more money, and their fear mongering tactics.

Having shot more than one fully automatic weapon, the fun of such isn't lost on me, but neither was the danger were those weapons in the 'wrong' hands. I support reasonable background checks, waiting periods, and training. This, being a lifelong Dem (with one or two exceptions) just seems reasonable. I would also support some type of mental health check to make sure the applicant isn't know to be impaired, though I know this is a much more difficult requirement than the others due to patient confidentiality and social stigma associated with mental health concerns.

So please don't confuse gun rights/2A supporters and hard core NRA/Militia types. They couldn't be more different.

There is nothing shameful, in theory, about supporting the 2nd amendment. There is a good reason why it was second only to freedom of speech in importance. What is shameful is that this right has been taken over by what is now primarily a political org, the NRA. I used to be a member, back when their focus was on teaching hunter safety, shooting skills and education. At some point that changed, and I stopped supporting them due to their ever increasingly militant mailings demanding more money, and their fear mongering tactics.

Having shot more than one fully automatic weapon, the fun of such isn't lost on me, but neither was the danger were those weapons in the 'wrong' hands. I support reasonable background checks, waiting periods, and training. This, being a lifelong Dem (with one or two exceptions) just seems reasonable. I would also support some type of mental health check to make sure the applicant isn't know to be impaired, though I know this is a much more difficult requirement than the others due to patient confidentiality and social stigma associated with mental health concerns.

So please don't confuse gun rights/2A supporters and hard core NRA/Militia types. They couldn't be more different.

I don't have contempt for gun owners.

But I think that the 2nd amendment - or the interpretation thereof, rather - is absurd.

For a private individual, gun ownership should be a privilege, not a right. Same as driving a car. And I don't see any problem with a government putting sensible restrictions on gun ownership. I don't see a need for handguns. I don't see a need for semi-automatic weapons. I don't see a need for anyone to carry a weapon outside of the home or specified hunting zones, except in a case under lock and key.

I believe that that anyone who has a problem with any of those restrictions is disturbingly out of touch with reality, and probably shouldn't own a weapon in the first place.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a semi-auto.

FWIW, give me a double action .357 revolver and a couple of speed loaders and I could spit out a dozen rounds in less than 15 seconds with a bit of practice.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a semi-auto.

FWIW, give me a double action .357 revolver and a couple of speed loaders and I could spit out a dozen rounds in less than 15 seconds with a bit of practice.

And I don't think that a private citizen should be able to own a revolver, as I said above.

I asked for, but am still waiting for, a list of American citizens wrongfully added to the no fly list that have the NRA so concerned for all of our sakes. Maybe if I hold my breath?

i don't think that list is available to anyone, outside the TSA/FBI/NSA, etc., that does not have a national security clearance and a need to know.
that's why nobody knows if they're on it, until they show up at an airport and get pulled out of line.

Good to know:

Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 5.25.48 PM.png

really? that's the government list? i've always heard that part of the problem is that no one knows who's on it except the government.

edit: wow. 3370 pages. i'm not on it.

I was a little surprised it was that easy, but then again it should be.

not on it:thu:

really? that's the government list? i've always heard that part of the problem is that no one knows who's on it except the government.

That is not the real no fly list. It’s just some guy in Florida, which is why it’s not a .gov domain. The US government has numerous terrorist databases spread throughout intelligence, law enforcement, and the military. They exist at different levels of classification. Coordinating them is such a mess that there’s a sub-agency within the FBI, the Terrorist Screening Center, just to manage this stuff. The TSC manages the no fly list.

It’s illegal to share the names of people on these lists with the public, in part because of how Richard Jewel’s life was destroyed when he was named as a suspect in placing a bomb at the Atalanta Olympics. He wasn’t really a suspect, just the only person of interest, because he was the security guard who found the bomb. Turns out it sucks to be living in Georgia and have the FBI tell the world you’re a suspect in bombing the Olympics. The only real list you can check online is the list of individuals who cannot travel because they’re foreign nationals subject to sanctions.

That is not the real no fly list. It’s just some guy in Florida, which is why it’s not a .gov domain. The US government has numerous terrorist databases spread throughout intelligence, law enforcement, and the military. They exist at different levels of classification. Coordinating them is such a mess that there’s a sub-agency within the FBI, the Terrorist Screening Center, just to manage this stuff. The TSC manages the no fly list.

It’s illegal to share the names of people on these lists with the public, in part because of how Richard Jewel’s life was destroyed when he was named as a suspect in placing a bomb at the Atalanta Olympics. He wasn’t really a suspect, just the only person of interest, because he was the security guard who found the bomb. Turns out it sucks to be living in Georgia and have the FBI tell the world you’re a suspect in bombing the Olympics. The only real list you can check online is the list of individuals who cannot travel because they’re foreign nationals subject to sanctions.

It still pisses me off about what they did to Richard Jewel. The guy is a freaking hero and (as proved in the olympics thread) people still think he planted the bomb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back