OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as long as you have six of them...
they are single round guns. you have to reload every time you shoot. and you will, if lucky, only get 2 shots from each before catastrophic failure.
and that failure will likely leave you with less fingers or even hands than when you started.
and you'd need the 3D printer. ones that can do that kind of precision are in the $10,000 range, plus materials.
why not just go buy the real guns?

they are single round guns. you have to reload every time you shoot. and you will, if lucky, only get 2 shots from each before catastrophic failure.
and that failure will likely leave you with less fingers or even hands than when you started.
and you'd need the 3D printer. ones that can do that kind of precision are in the $10,000 range, plus materials.

It was just a joke. That whole movie, the rookie cop gets it wrong, except for this ONE FUCKING TIME, when he says, "Couldn't it have been one guy with six guns?"

i sort of agree. i think folks over 40 (50) may pay more attention to traditional news sources than those younger. and that may be because 25 to 35 years ago those were the only real sources available.

i'm over 50 and here is a screen cap of my yahoo main page. i've got just about every legitimate news source loaded. i don't get any info from social media.

See, here is the thing. In my newsfeed, the people posting the most garbage from random blogs and disreputable websites are 40 and older. There is a large segment of the population that includes Gen X and the baby boomers that are pretty unsavvy when it comes to how the internet works, how social media works and are apparently undereducated when it comes to politics, history, science or just common decency. THOSE are the people who post pictures comparing Michelle Obama to an ape or question Obama's birth certificate but have no problem making the kind of mental gymnastics possible to support a President who is as opposite their flag-waving, troop loving, Jesus quoting meme posting self-images as possible. He DOES speak to their racism, fear, and ignorance though.

I'm not saying that all people on Facebook, All people over 40, all white men, all whatever are anything but the reality is that there is a core of older adults who SHOULD know better but do not act that way for whatever reason. In a lot of ways Trump spoke to the white lower and middle-class Americans who see more brown people around them, lost their jobs in the last decade, do not like progressive or intellectual concepts and feel like their religion makes them superior to other people on some level in the same way that Adolph Hitler appealed to the German people who felt betrayed by the rest of Europe in the wake of World War I and needed someone to blame for their misery that aligned with their existing racism and concepts of cultural and ethnic superiority. HOLY RUN ON SENTENCE BATMAN!

They had this filtered ideal of how America was great in the middle of the 20th century when it was as racist in many ways as South Africa and as many as 20% of Americans lived below the poverty line. Especially if you weren't a WASP.

You guys can probably correct me on some of this stuff or refine what I'm trying to say but at the end of the day you have a segment of the population that is suffering from a lack of objective history and education that does not understand how they are not getting reliable news from the blog their uncle sent them on Facebook that has misspelled headlines all in caps.

Not 100% relevant but a slide from the class I am taking that is thought-provoking in this conversation.

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 11.12.33 AM.png

Last edited:
There were no good old days. We are living in the greatest era of peace and prosperity ever. The conservative good old days is selective memory that leaves out polio, the Korean War, lynchings, race riots, communism, pollution, racism, the threat of nuclear war, etc, etc, etc. The good old days never existed.

Could be incredibly useful and practical for drug dealers and the sort.

I don’t think it has anything to do with age, so much as education, upbringing, and environment.
This.
I know many, many people in their 50s who get all their news from FOX (or worse)--and this is in California.
It has everything to do with education, upbringing, and environment.

With a CNC machine you can make guns from metal just like a gun factory does. High quality, reusable, etc. You can find files to make AR15s from the web. These machines are unregulated and readily available. Your local vocational school will teach you how to run one. I learned in high school to machine shit. With s little effort, I could produce a gun. Odd, but it isn’t really an issue that these things exist, as you can just buy a gun at Bud’s for way less effort. You can buy a cheap AR for less than a 3d printer, and way less than a CNC mill. I don’t get the outrage of the 3d printer thing, as it is easier to just buy a gun than learn to make one. It isn’t like guns are hard to buy legally, and, I assume, illegally.

Last edited:
There were no good old days. We are living in the greatest era of peace and prosperity ever. The conservative good old days is selective memory that leaves out polio, the Korean War, lynchings, race riots, communism, pollution, racism, the threat of nuclear war, etc, etc, etc. The good old days never existed.
This...and 3D printed guns.

But seriously...this. :thu:

With a CNC machine you can make guns from metal just like a gun factory does. High quality, reusable, etc. You can find files to make AR15s from the web. These machines are unregulated and readily available. Your local vocational school will teach you how to run one. I learned in high school to machine shit. With s little effort, I could produce a gun. Odd, but it isn’t really an issue that these things exist, as you can just buy a gun at Bud’s for way less effort. You can buy a cheap AR for less than a 3d printer, and way less than a CNC mill. I don’t get the outrage of the 3d printer thing, as it is easier to just buy a gun than learn to make one. It isn’t like guns are hard to buy legally, and I assume illegally.
In the mid-1960' my Father-in-law built an 18" muzzle loading cannon out of steel in shop class complete with a wood carriage. He just had to promise not to bore a hole for any source of ignition like a fuse. Which he did as soon as he got home on his dads drill press.

His best friend was the son of the fire chief of Santa Ana (where they lived) at that time and his dad made his own ammunition for hunting I guess so they had a supply of gunpowder available and made some sort of metal projectile for the cannon. The shot it one time, blew a hole in the fire chief's garage door and had the bomb disposal unit out searching the chiefs house. Kind of embarrassing for him but my father-in-law still finds it hilarious.

With a CNC machine you can make guns from metal just like a gun factory does. High quality, reusable, etc. You can find files to make AR15s from the web. These machines are unregulated and readily available. Your local vocational school will teach you how to run one. I learned in high school to machine shit. With s little effort, I could produce a gun. Odd, but it isn’t really an issue that these things exist, as you can just buy a gun at Bud’s for way less effort. You can buy a cheap AR for less than a 3d printer, and way less than a CNC mill. I don’t get the outrage of the 3d printer thing, as it is easier to just buy a gun than learn to make one. It isn’t like guns are hard to buy legally, and, I assume, illegally.
that's the point i've been making.
but when you read a lot of the headlines, they say you "can download a 3d printed gun", not download the plans. you can't "download a gun" from anywhere, unless you have a star trek transporter. [rolls eyes]

A 3D printed gun is not made of metal so a metal detector won’t detect them. Thats why this is an issue.

A 3D printed gun is not made of metal so a metal detector won’t detect them. Thats why this is an issue.

Aren’t the bullets metal? Can one make a plastic cased ammunition and plastic bullet? I honestly have no idea. The ability to sneak something like this past a metal detector might be a problem in a courtroom. Maybe less on a plane where you don’t want to shoot, but threaten (these guns don’t look so much like guns), but this is still an area of concern. I guess the upside is that body scan imaging has replaced metal detectors in lots of places, so this hopefully will not be a problem for long. Obviously, undetectable guns are bad, and I’m a bonehead for not seeing that angle

Last edited:
Aren’t the bullets metal? Can one make a plastic cased ammunition and plastic bullet? I honestly have no idea. The ability to sneak something like this past a metal detector might be a problem in a courtroom. Maybe less on a plane where you don’t want to shoot, but threaten (these guns don’t look so much like guns), but this is still an area of concern. I guess the upside is that body scan imaging has replaced metal detectors in lots of places, so this hopefully will not be a problem for long. Obviously, undetectable guns are bad, and I’m a bonehead for not seeing that angle

All I know is there were a bazillion articles when the 3D printed guns became a thing that they could get by detectors. And not crazy sites, but NPR, CNN, CBS, etc. I know zippy about guns, I haven’t shot one in 30+ years, just what I read in these articles a few years ago.

More I think about Putin coming for a visit in the fall, more pissed off I am. A couple of questions for everybody. Would you invite a murderer or rapist into your home for the two year anniversary? WTF is Trump thinking? Why would he want to remind everybody at election time? That makes no sense.

This.
I know many, many people in their 50s who get all their news from FOX (or worse)--and this is in California.
It has everything to do with education, upbringing, and environment.

Now imagine LIVING IN OHIO. Or Kansas. Or any place in Texas that isn't a major city. Hell, even in Colorado. I know rural/desert CA has a fair share of wingnuts, but around here it's a fucking religion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back