OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read an article the other day warning of $3.00/gal gas by this summer. I am ecstatic!!

Of course that's for red states only. It translates to $5.00/gal gas here, despite the fact we have dozens of refineries (60% of which are down for "maintenance" at any given time).

And what did Jerry have to do with it anyway? CaRFG was instituted in 1991, in the middle of a 4 term run of Republican Govs, and under the watch of Pete Wilson. WTF?
We are closing in on 4 here already.

We are at $5.70 a gallon right now. It seems cheaper when you pay by the liter. I costs me around 100 bucks to fill my tank.

No doubt that modern engines make lots of power from small displacement mills, but the fuel economy isn't great. The ecoboost mustang gets like 21 mpg city. I wouldn't call that good. Fun, for sure, but good? I used to drive a Mazda with a similar type of engine, and it never got even close to the EPA mileage ratings. I think I got around 18 in the city, from a 2.3 liter turbo. I think the small mills work really hard, and fuel economy suffers. My v6 twin turbo full size station wagon, with 350 hp and AWD, gets mileage that is the same as the ecoboost mustang.

My Murano SUV gets 22 around town.

https://splinternews.com/border-patrol-changes-its-story-on-killing-of-20-year-o-1826346699
Border Patrol Changes Its Story on Killing of 20-Year-Old Guatemalan Immigrant

U.S. Customs and Border Protection appears to be modifying its version of what happened Wednesday when an agent shot and killed 20-year-old Guatemalan migrant Claudia Patricia Gómez González near Laredo, TX.

According to initial reports, the unnamed border agent, a 15-year veteran, was patrolling for “illegal activity” in a “culvert” seven miles south of Laredo, The New York Times reported. The official version of what happened next described a group of undocumented immigrants attacking the agent with “blunt objects.” The officer responded by firing at least one shot with his handgun “fatally striking the woman in the head.”

But there was a problem with the story: A local resident, Marta Martínez, witnessed the aftermath and recorded the incident in a cellphone videothat has since gone viral on social media. The original description by authorities of what happened seems to have fallen apart, as Gómez, a young indigenous woman from the department of Quetzaltenango who studied accounting and hoped to find work or study in the U.S., was shot in the head while hiding behind a tree.

On Friday, according to CNN, the agency released a different version of events, leaving out the “blunt objects” part and saying only that a group of immigrants “rushed” the officer after ignoring orders to lie on the ground. As Splinter’s Paul Blest pointed out this week, the CBP seems to be in the habit of falsely claiming that undocumented migrants are increasingly assaulting border agents with “projectiles” like rocks, tree branches, and bottles.

In the New York Times report, Martínez, who confronted the officer immediately after the shooting, claimed that she heard a border officer tell three undocumented men who were arrested at the scene: “See what happens? This is what happens with you people.”

The Border Patrol also initially claimed that the officer had “fatally wounded one of the assailants.” But its statement on Friday modified that to only a “member of the group” after the public gained access to Martínez’s video, family photos of Gómez, and witness accounts. The agency also planned to hold a news conference on Friday, but canceled it, CNN reported.

The incident is under investigation by the FBI and the Texas Rangers. [snip]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back