OMG Politics, I'm over it already Mk III, The Search for Spock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love how here in California everyone blames Jerry Brown for the high gas prices but apparently they are going up everywhere due to several external
Circumstances Gas prices are up 31% from last Memorial Day. Here's why - CNN Money https://apple.news/AWDN6CXvXR2iQ7bAuSHtYpw

Thank God we haven't gone nuts and stopped building sensible, fuel efficient cars in favor of giant SUVs and trucks. Also, with US interest rates going up, it is also great that everything is financed for 84 months. I can't see a way this could turn out poorly.

Thank God we haven't gone nuts and stopped building sensible, fuel efficient cars in favor of giant SUVs an trucks. Also, with US interest rates going up, it is also great that everything is financed for 84 months. I can't see a way this could turn out poorly.
Hey. I got an A+ in freshman biology. Could you put a word in with your company and help me get out of here? I can wash test tubes or something. Seriously. I need to be good enough at something so that I can get my family out of here. :(

Screen Shot 2018-05-25 at 12.31.56 PM.png

Thank God we haven't gone nuts and stopped building sensible, fuel efficient cars in favor of giant SUVs and trucks. Also, with US interest rates going up, it is also great that everything is financed for 84 months. I can't see a way this could turn out poorly.
I'm glad that Ford keeps getting nuts with tiny engines with good fuel economy that put out a metric fuckton of power. Look at the Mustang. There's no more V6. The base is an EcoBoost I4 that puts out over 300HP.

Hey. I got an A+ in freshman biology. Could you put a word in with your company and help me get out of here? I can wash test tubes or something. Seriously. I need to be good enough at something so that I can get my family out of here. :(

View attachment 41079
Wanna be a rent-a-cop? Not a bad gig.

Of course the way things are going, guarding the military posts just might get to be reality shitty, real soon.

I'm glad that Ford keeps getting nuts with tiny engines with good fuel economy that put out a metric fuckton of power. Look at the Mustang. There's no more V6. The base is an EcoBoost I4 that puts out over 300HP.

No doubt that modern engines make lots of power from small displacement mills, but the fuel economy isn't great. The ecoboost mustang gets like 21 mpg city. I wouldn't call that good. Fun, for sure, but good? I used to drive a Mazda with a similar type of engine, and it never got even close to the EPA mileage ratings. I think I got around 18 in the city, from a 2.3 liter turbo. I think the small mills work really hard, and fuel economy suffers. My v6 twin turbo full size station wagon, with 350 hp and AWD, gets mileage that is the same as the ecoboost mustang.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4774f4-5f74-11e8-b656-236c6214ef01_story.html https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...4774f4-5f74-11e8-b656-236c6214ef01_story.html

But in Asia, many hold Trump, not Kim, responsible for the sudden collapse of diplomacy and cancellation of the planned June 12 summit in Singapore.

From here, Kim looks like the more levelheaded leader who was trying to build confidence — releasing American detainees, blowing up the nuclear testing site — while Trump looks impetuous and unreliable.

“America’s national image has been damaged ever since Trump announced his withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal,” the Global Times, a newspaper controlled by the Chinese Communist Party, wrote in an editorial Friday. “The cancellation of the Singapore meeting will only enhance its negative image, regardless of any explanation provided by Washington.”

Trump took a more upbeat tone later Friday after North Korea signaled willingness to hold talks to address the “grave hostilities” between the two countries. But the North gave no hint on what it planned to offer during possible dialogue, and Trump did not offer any clear idea of his next move.

View attachment 41079

No one washes tubes anymore, everything is disposable. :)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, leaving the US for the sane neutrality of Switzerland is one of the best decision I ever made.

Last edited:
I love how here in California everyone blames Jerry Brown for the high gas prices but apparently they are going up everywhere due to several external
Circumstances Gas prices are up 31% from last Memorial Day. Here's why - CNN Money https://apple.news/AWDN6CXvXR2iQ7bAuSHtYpw

I read an article the other day warning of $3.00/gal gas by this summer. I am ecstatic!!

Of course that's for red states only. It translates to $5.00/gal gas here, despite the fact we have dozens of refineries (60% of which are down for "maintenance" at any given time).

And what did Jerry have to do with it anyway? CaRFG was instituted in 1991, in the middle of a 4 term run of Republican Govs, and under the watch of Pete Wilson. WTF?

I read an article the other day warning of $3.00/gal gas by this summer. I am ecstatic!!

Of course that's for red states only. It translates to $5.00/gal gas here, despite the fact we have dozens of refineries (60% of which are down for "maintenance" at any given time).

And what did Jerry have to do with it anyway? CaRFG was instituted in 1991, in the middle of a 4 term run of Republican Govs, and under the watch of Pete Wilson. WTF?
http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...e-drive-launched-to-1505423729-htmlstory.html

I don't know about you, but paying a few extra bucks with every tank of gas for roads and bridges doesn't really bother me that much. It doesn't affect my bottom line that much, And I'm not a wealthy person.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...e-drive-launched-to-1505423729-htmlstory.html

I don't know about you, but paying a few extra bucks with every tank of gas for roads and bridges doesn't really bother me that much. It doesn't affect my bottom line that much, And I'm not a wealthy person.

Ditto. Fuel costs have never really been a huge impact on me. I'd love to see the gas tax actually be used for road maintenance.

My father in law will drive 100 miles to save a nickel a gallon. I never understood the mentality. He also collects his non deposit state aluminum cans and brings them to massachusetts for the 5 cent per can deposit. He was a network engineer for fidelity for 20 years and has a 30 year air force pension, so he isn't poor.

I have never let gas prices dictate my choices of cars, how much I drive, etc. I drove a 440 Roadrunner during the arab oil embargo. I have no desire for anything eco/hybrid/electric.

Ditto. Fuel costs have never really been a huge impact on me. I'd love to see the gas tax actually be used for road maintenance.

My father in law will drive 100 miles to save a nickel a gallon. I never understood the mentality.
Me either. But it's something to yell at the Democrats over. You should see how they bitch about Brown but he's leaving the state with a $6 billion dollar budget surplus, when the Republicans always seem to leave us with a big deficit: https://www.wsj.com/articles/jerry-...llion-budget-surplus-in-california-1515624022

We have a dysfunctional state with a shitty bureaucracy but we also have one of the worlds largest economies and a large population. Things can be better but it always seems like Republican governors make things worse by giving people what they want in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back