2022 Concert Thread

@Motorik — Vieux Farka Touré absolutely fried my brain. It was an amazing set and I had the same holy-jesus-fuck reaction to him that I had when I saw Mdou Moctar a couple of years ago. It was just a swirl of music and it was joyous, everyone on that stage was clearly having a great time. I'd follow them like the Dead if I could.

This was my third time seeing Khruangbin and they're a blast. Mark is a beast, Laura is legitimately one of my favorite bassists playing today, and DJ is a freakin' machine. They're all merciless killers and they're one of the very few bands in my personal history where I feel like I got in on the ground floor — I started listening to them six years ago and saw my first show five years ago.

The show was sold out and the Santa Fe Opera has a seating capacity of 2,126, so there you go. We were 3rd row center.

306733109_10225614484603484_5056376650931902729_n.jpg

Inside-Theater_1350x600_acf_cropped.jpg

Tonight's festivities: Suzanne Vega and Gerry Leonard in Santa Fe

20221004_211413[1].jpg

Screenshot(7).png

Lousy shot of Gerry's board:

20221004_211512[1].jpg

Last edited:
@Motorik — Vieux Farka Touré absolutely fried my brain. It was an amazing set and I had the same holy-jesus-fuck reaction to him that I had when I saw Mdou Moctar a couple of years ago. It was just a swirl of music and it was joyous, everyone on that stage was clearly having a great time. I'd follow them like the Dead if I could.

This was my third time seeing Khruangbin and they're a blast. Mark is a beast, Laura is legitimately one of my favorite bassists playing today, and DJ is a freakin' machine. They're all merciless killers and they're one of the very few bands in my personal history where I feel like I got in on the ground floor — I started listening to them six years ago and saw my first show five years ago.

The show was sold out and the Santa Fe Opera has a seating capacity of 2,126, so there you go. We were 3rd row center.

View attachment 77860

View attachment 77859

Oh man, that sounds like a terrific gig. Love the poster too.

Remember when the concept of a 'MySpace band' was around? Like Arctic Monkeys initially broke through on the strength of a huge MySpace following before they even released their first album. I think of Khruangbin as the 'Youtube band'. People will bring them up in real life conversation sometimes and I'll be surprised, and inevitably they heard them via Youtube. I'm very glad they're also doing well in the real live world!

Grabbed 3 tickets up close to Gordon Lightfoot last night for March 23rd next year. Me, my dad and my oldest son.

I didn't care for his singer, but Michael Shenker was on point. That was the best ive seen him play out of 7 times or so. Întro, Into The Arena. Outro, Only You Can Rock Me.

Eric martin from Mr. Big band was the opener. They were a nice change. Acoustic electric guitars. He was funny too. "So yeah, I'm Eric Martin from Mr. Big. I don't know why I have to keep telling you guys that ".

Venue was at an old 1930 vaudeville theatre. It's an art deco structure.

20221005_070915.jpg

I didn't care for his singer, but Michael Shenker was on point. That was the best ive seen him play out of 7 times or so. Întro, Into The Arena. Outro, Only You Can Rock Me.

Eric martin from Mr. Big band was the opener. They were a nice change. Acoustic electric guitars. He was funny too. "So yeah, I'm Eric Martin from Mr. Big. I don't know why I have to keep telling you guys that ".

View attachment 77894

That's a cool looking venue. Glad you had fun.

View attachment 77894
A bunch of my friends are going to see him when he rolls through.

A bunch of my friends are going to see him when he rolls through.
While I always enjoy Michael's playing, this last time had me feel like I was living in the past more than the other times.
Still, we had fun.

Back