2022 Concert Thread

If you get a chance to see them, do it.

I certainly will. I'll jump at it.:thu: They're high on the list of bands I'd love to see. I love the singing, playing, tones, songwriting, the lot.

Did you notice the amps? Was Charlie using the plexi clone and Paul Jackson going through Oranges?

Also, while I'm pumping you with questions: who was playing support?

I certainly will. I'll jump at it.:thu: They're high on the list of bands I'd love to see. I love the singing, playing, tones, songwriting, the lot.

Did you notice the amps? Was Charlie using the plexi clone and Paul Jackson going through Oranges?

Also, while I'm pumping you with questions: who was playing support?

Charlie was using the Germino plexi, Paul was using a JCM800. They have a 3rd guitarist, Benji Shanks, touring with them, who was using a Germino. Charlie switched guitars a lot, mostly using his '56 LP Jr and a couple Teles, with a 335 for 2 songs. Paul stayed primarily with his 70s Les Paul. Benji played a variety of Gibsons.

Opener was Zach Person. I felt bad for him - he was playing solo, with just a Tele, and the chilly night was playing hell with his tuning - he tuned between every song, and was out of tune by the 3rd chord. He has potential, though.

I've got tickets for the Celebrating David Bowie tour with Adrian Belew, Todd Rundgren, etc. and I just looked up the setlists from the first few shows. I'm going to have an embolism right there in the auditorium.

Sound and Vision
Young Americans
Moonage Daydream
Rock 'n' Roll Suicide
Changes
Starman
The Man Who Sold the World
John, I'm Only Dancing
Ziggy Stardust
Life on Mars?
Ashes to Ashes
Fame
Fashion
Golden Years
Stay
Station to Station
Breaking Glass
D.J. / Boys Keep Swinging
Space Oddity
The Stars (Are Out Tonight)
Hallo Spaceboy
I'm Afraid of Americans
Pretty Pink Rose
Blue Jean
Let's Dance
Rebel Rebel
All the Young Dudes

Encore:
Suffragette City
"Heroes"

Saw Jane’s Addiction last night. They were fantastic. May have been the loudest concert I’ve ever seen. The arena was vibrating from the bass and drums. Perry was his usual crazy, entertaining self and sounded great. It was a treat to see Eric Avery back with them, so much focused energy. Troy did a commendable job covering for Dave. Perkins was an absolute monster behind the kit.

stayed for most of the smashing pumpkins but it was pretty dull aside from watching James Iha. Corgan’s voice and playing were fantastic. Not sure why someone didn’t suggest a better outfit but he was wearing a full length black mumu buttoned down the front and painted his face and head white. Literally looked like uncle fester.

I’m in my mid 40’s and was definitely on the young side for the crowd that came out. They clapped and cheered but barely any other movement or enthusiasm. Ick.

Saw Jane’s Addiction last night. They were fantastic. May have been the loudest concert I’ve ever seen. The arena was vibrating from the bass and drums. Perry was his usual crazy, entertaining self and sounded great. It was a treat to see Eric Avery back with them, so much focused energy. Troy did a commendable job covering for Dave. Perkins was an absolute monster behind the kit.

stayed for most of the smashing pumpkins but it was pretty dull aside from watching James Iha. Corgan’s voice and playing were fantastic. Not sure why someone didn’t suggest a better outfit but he was wearing a full length black mumu buttoned down the front and painted his face and head white. Literally looked like uncle fester.

I’m in my mid 40’s and was definitely on the young side for the crowd that came out. They clapped and cheered but barely any other movement or enthusiasm. Ick.
Billy has been dressing like that for a while now for shows. It's his Zero persona and it's fucking stupid. Just play a damn rock show and stop being weird.

Billy has been dressing like that for a while now for shows. It's his Zero persona and it's fucking stupid. Just play a damn rock show and stop being weird.

Yeah. He’s been doing that at least since Iha rejoined. He’s back on his impenetrable concept album shit. That weirdness is part of what keeps him/the Pumpkins more interesting than your run of the mill 90s nostalgia farm. But it’s also what makes them potentially super tedious.

Even the OG Pumpkins post Gish and early SD days could be kinda dull/shoegazey as stage performers. Not a lot to look at on a big stage — Iha, Corgan, and Chamberlain all connect more in smaller venues. For a band that went a-millionty times platinum, they never quite figured it out as an arena thing in terms of playing to the cheap seats. I suspect it’s rooted in the fact that deep down, they’re a goth band that went classic rock and then pop as a larf and they basically evolved into a version of the Cure if the Cure did Floyd and Zeppelin covers.

I’ve long wondered why Corgan hasn’t given up the high concept nonsense to just become a beloved cult figure doing dreamy psych pop and fuzz rock ravers to carve out an elder statesman career like J. Mascis or Steve Malkmus. But dude is a sad clown and that probably ain’t gonna change. I got a ticket for the hometown stop on this tour in a couple weeks because there was Groupon and I get crippling FOMO. But I’m not hoping for much more than a reasonable time.

Yeah. He’s been doing that at least since Iha rejoined. He’s back on his impenetrable concept album shit. That weirdness is part of what keeps him/the Pumpkins more interesting than your run of the mill 90s nostalgia farm. But it’s also what makes them potentially super tedious.

Even the OG Pumpkins post Gish and early SD days could be kinda dull/shoegazey as stage performers. Not a lot to look at on a big stage — Iha, Corgan, and Chamberlain all connect more in smaller venues. For a band that went a-millionty times platinum, they never quite figured it out as an arena thing in terms of playing to the cheap seats. I suspect it’s rooted in the fact that deep down, they’re a goth band that went classic rock and then pop as a larf and they basically evolved into a version of the Cure if the Cure did Floyd and Zeppelin covers.

I’ve long wondered why Corgan hasn’t given up the high concept nonsense to just become a beloved cult figure doing dreamy psych pop and fuzz rock ravers to carve out an elder statesman career like J. Mascis or Steve Malkmus. But dude is a sad clown and that probably ain’t gonna change. I got a ticket for the hometown stop on this tour in a couple weeks because there was Groupon and I get crippling FOMO. But I’m not hoping for much more than a reasonable time.
This is probably the best history of the Pumpkins I've ever read.
He goes back and forth between "No one likes me, please notice me" and "Stop looking at me, I just want to be left alone"
He knows the fans want new stuff but in the vein of Gish, SD and Mellon but he flat out refuses and I can't figure out why.
I get that he wants to evolve as a musician, I really do and more power to him for making the music he wants to make but stop getting pissed if your fans don't follow you. Hell, stop touring and just put out music. He couldn't possibly need money.

So I caught this same tour last night. Have only ever been a moderate Janes fan and this didn’t really change that. Perry remains an acquired taste as a frontman (vocally he sounded good but I’ve never been big on the Perry trip). One gripe with his singing is that he’s abandoned all precision/enunciation with his words and often is just making mouth noises similar to the lyrics. TVL did a fine job of copying Dave’s wasted take on Jimmy Page’s bag of tricks. He’s less capable than Dave when it comes to the funkier rhythm/groove stuff.

That Pumpkins set is a mess. I get wanting to do all the different eras justice and to intro new material, but the whole thing felt haphazard. Everyone played/sang well, but the hits felt a bit listless and the new stuff lacks dynamics/subtlety (and, yes, I’ve heard the Smashing Pumpkins before). I was most pleasantly surprised by the dusted off album tracks “I of the Mourning” and “We Only Come Out at Night” which were given a little bit of a rearranged spit shine. I kinda wish they had either branched out and rearranged some more deep cuts and ended with the big hits or doubled down and throttled the audience with new material. Having seen the Pumpkins/Corgan/Iha in much much smaller club settings, I think these big shows do them a disservice via all the regimented visuals and backing. There’s really no opportunity for the band to be a band. It’s a bit too theatrical and it’s probably why they’ve never regained the spark of pre-MCIS weirdness.

There were a lot of THE YOUNGS present at this show. Gobs of 20-somethings in Alt Nation Reenactment gear. Plenty of parent/kid situations. Plus the usual collection of aged beer gut ballcap dudes and terrible goatees and would-be cougars poured into black vinyl.

20221111_222301.jpg

20221111_205114.jpg
20221111_220619.jpg

20221111_210844.jpg
20221111_211351.jpg
20221111_220758.jpg
20221111_205801.jpg
20221111_222516.jpg

Mrs JBJ booked us a nice hotel in town for my birthday. We were having a drink in the bar before heading for dinner, lots of people passing through on their way to a gig in the arena across from the hotel.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to book tickets for The Cure in there for the best part of a year. I decided to have a quick Google and managed to get tickets for my brother, friend and I next month!!!

Absolutely buzzing, they're legit the last bucket list band of mine. Meeting my friend for lunch, I can't wait to tell him.

Mrs JBJ booked us a nice hotel in town for my birthday. We were having a drink in the bar before heading for dinner, lots of people passing through on their way to a gig in the arena across from the hotel.

I've been unsuccessfully trying to book tickets for The Cure in there for the best part of a year. I decided to have a quick Google and managed to get tickets for my brother, friend and I next month!!!

Absolutely buzzing, they're legit the last bucket list band of mine. Meeting my friend for lunch, I can't wait to tell him.
#superjealous

Reactions: jbj
Jason Isbell and 400 unit was at the Gloria Theater in Cologne which I was shocked and excited to see was only this size

IMG_20221113_191451.jpg

Fabulous show, Sadler is a force of nature, as was Jason. They played all of the normal songs a fan would expect as well as a driving and Crying song which Sadler obviously sang. Encore they played Tour of Duty with their guitar duel and an absolutely killer version of Fleetwood Mac's Oh My.

Best 29 bucks I ever spent.

IMG-20221113-WA0004.jpg

Opernring act was a punkabilly influenced act named His Lordship. Dude on that SG Jr was an energy bomb. Actually the whole band was.
IMG_20221113_200228.jpg

IMG_20221113_211225.jpg

I just found out yesterday that the opening act above is fronted by James Walbourne, the guitarist for the Pretenders. Explains why he seemed familiar since I had recently seen him on the coverage of the Taylor Hawkins thing. I was surprised how good he was then because I had never noticed them other than the hits. He was standing at the merch table just talking to folks later, wish I had known more.

I just found out yesterday that the opening act above is fronted by James Walbourne, the guitarist for the Pretenders. Explains why he seemed familiar since I had recently seen him on the coverage of the Taylor Hawkins thing. I was surprised how good he was then because I had never noticed them other than the hits. He was standing at the merch table just talking to folks later, wish I had known more.
James is incredible. He's married to Richard Thompson's daughter Kami and they operate as The Rails. He's a killer guitarist.

The first clip is James with Kami, Zak Hobbs (Richard's grandson), Judith Owen, and Linda Thompson. The second clip adds Richard and Teddy.

Last edited:
Well I, heard it from a friend who, heard it from a freind who, heard it from another they were coming to town. Ten minutes away.
Do I like their cheesey, over the top power ballads? Guilty.

20221115_074813.jpg

Back