Wood Fired Ovens

many years ago I was doing construction and we installed one of those monsters as part of a restaurant renovation. We had to have a forklift avail on-site as part of the shipping reqs and it was quite a task to wrestle it into it's final home in the corner of the dining area.

The one that I posted was built in place. They had all of the tile shipped over from Italy. I can't imagine moving that thing.

So I broke it in this evening

My dough was a little bit underfermented and still too cold from the fridge , the oven wasn't quite hot enough and it's fair to say me dough shaping skills leave a bit to be desired, but they tasted great

2mins and 2 mins 30s to cook these
1OFPC9l.jpg

kyjOtu9.jpg

xFrWR5N.jpg

I also tried a calzone which I managed to drop on the floor in some mud before I could cook it thwap0

Well they look good.
You now have the test/ experimental process.
I doubt you are gonna make something inedible. If you can survive a mud calzone, you can survive anything.

I bet you can make a nice pane de casa in that.

I want one of those!

How hot did you get it? Do you think it's not too much of a burden to get it up to temp for just a couple pizzas? I looked at a few gas fired pizza ovens once. They didn't have a wood fired oven to compare to. I assume its much like the BBQ'ers/grillers' argument about charcoal/wood grills vs gas grills in that the extra effort is worth it for the end result.

Did the pizza have a smokey flavor? Around me I can get oak, ash and hickory dirt cheap. I assume they would be fine.

Next time could you take a picture of the amount of wood you used? Just curious.

I envision using a couple times a week for dinner but that thing would shine if used for a party. Offer a mix of ingredients and let people top their own. Popping out personalized pizzas every couple minutes would be awesome.

What other things are you going to cook in there? I think some naan would awesome.

Last edited:
It can go up to 500 degrees C . I think I was at maybe 350 - 400c , the supplied thermometer is off to the side so not sure how useful it is, I'll get an IR thermometer too . In terms of wood use, you can start cooking within 30 mins and it uses about 3kg/hr - this is mainly because it doesn't have much mass to heat up unlike a proper big pizza oven, it's mainly reflective heat.

I was using kiln dried ash - it has a light sweet smokey note and burns very well, oak is also popular

I'll definitely do naan, kebabs, steaks, bread, roast veg etc. It came with a clay baking tray to use

this is what it is based on - you can get a bigger one too and one with a gas insert
http://pizzapartyshop.com/en/

fired the pizza oven up again. Made three pizzas, one calzone and also have just put in a lamb shoulder to cook in the residual heat for tomorrow. It had better work. Might not be the best reheated but need to find out if it'll work

Some ingredients

IFxyNA2.jpg

Pre bake
Yt8jiDs.jpg

baking
glw7IXA.jpg

post bake . buffalo mozzarella is very wet, tastes great though
dSEGpwM.jpg

lovely base
xtzqQqy.jpg

calzone
vVVcoXe.jpg

lamb shoulder, on trivet of onions, carrot and the excess tomato juice from the pizza tomatoes
FHdwZpI.jpg

GKF8Wf1.jpg

Reactions: DFB
Looking good.
What kind of temps are you hitting? IIRC we were targeting ~ 750 degress F for that bubbly slightly char'd crispy crust that wood & coal ovens are known for.

I don't know for sure at the moment - the supplied thermometer is in the front bottom right of the oven which isn't really useful when dealing with a rolling flame and opening and closing the door. I'm waiting on an IR thermometer to turn up from amazon. It displays about 350C when I start to cook, but I imagine the floor temperature is completely different.

I've cooked the pizzas between about 90s (for a smaller thin one, lightly topped) and 3 mins, so there is a bit of variation as I'm learning to control the fire - so I guess between 650f and 900f

I'm leaving that lamb shoulder overnight, and I imagine it will have cooled down to room temp in a couple of hours form now, so will be interesting to see if any foxes have a go at it :) lucky bastards if they do

Wrap the lamb in a towel and let it cool in a cooler if you can.
It's how I cool down beef brisket.

HwEtdH8.jpg

It cooled completely overnight, tastes great. Good thing about lamb shoulder is that it is almost impossible to overcook

Now what to do with it? Pulled lamb might be an option

:js:eat0eat0
eat0eat0
I love lamb.
Mint it up. Like a mint pesto
Mash ,some candied carrots maybe?

Back