Achtung! Who else doesn't like

I don't feel good about perpetuating the Santa myth by telling my 2 year old that there's this invisible guy watching him and if he behaves, the invisible guy will give him a bike and some other toys.

But then again, when trying to keep a 2 year old in line while juggling a 7month old, you use every tool at your disposal. And Santa is quite effective.

I want draw any parallels with organized religion...

Using Santa a control method has never worked for my wife and me. Our 10 year old has been really bitey for the last few years and we wanted to drop the whole charade earlier, but we don't want to ruin it for our four year old for some reason. I'm sick of saying Santa will know you're naughty and want to scream, "I buy all your shit and if you don't stop being a tool you'll be lucky to get actual shit under the tree!" I wish we'd never gone the Santa route.

As to the 10 year old, he clearly is majorly suspicious and may no longer belief in Santa, but he won't say it outright. He also keeps turning almost anything we say into, "So what you're saying is Santa doesn't exist and you buy all the gifts?" I yearn to shout yes, but for our four year old. Ten is a bit old to still believe and his "friends" have been saying there's no Santa for years...fucking killjoy buzzkill shitbags! I've told him that the belief is on him, but if he chooses to no longer belief he better not give his little brother a hard time (even though I'd love to give up the act).

Holidays are good for the eat0chears . Other than that they're a pain in the ass and I hate them all. Fortunately at 67 I get to hate anything I want and nobody blames me much. My wife understands how I feel about it so she does all of the shopping and lets me know what present I gave to who so I don't embarrass her.

Holidays are good for the eat0chears . Other than that they're a pain in the ass and I hate them all. Fortunately at 67 I get to hate anything I want and nobody blames me much. My wife understands how I feel about it so she does all of the shopping and lets me know what present I gave to who so I don't embarrass her.

As soon as you get to hating that Ibanez semihollow, just send it my way. You won't even want money for it, because you'll just end up hating whatever you buy with even more. :thu:

As the token MW Jew, I've been scratching my head over this phenomenon that seems to infect a larger portion of each year for decades. I just don't understand the lemming-like, grim procession to overcrowded malls with thronged parking lots in search of a bunch of crap that nobody really needs for reasons that defy logic, religious significance or any semblance of sanity.

Me -- I like holidays that feature lots of good food, companionship and perhaps a football game. Thanksgiving is right in my sweet-spot!

I don't mind Christmas, but it is not a religious holiday for me, I don't go to the malls, I don't spend tons of money, and I keep the radio on NPR to avoid bad music. Personally, I'd just as soon avoid the big Christmas Eve family get together my in-laws have every year, but I am sure that will be gone once the MIL passes on. For the most part it is just another day to me, except I actually don't schedule clients.

Using Santa a control method has never worked for my wife and me. Our 10 year old has been really bitey for the last few years and we wanted to drop the whole charade earlier, but we don't want to ruin it for our four year old for some reason. I'm sick of saying Santa will know you're naughty and want to scream, "I buy all your shit and if you don't stop being a tool you'll be lucky to get actual shit under the tree!" I wish we'd never gone the Santa route.

As to the 10 year old, he clearly is majorly suspicious and may no longer belief in Santa, but he won't say it outright. He also keeps turning almost anything we say into, "So what you're saying is Santa doesn't exist and you buy all the gifts?" I yearn to shout yes, but for our four year old. Ten is a bit old to still believe and his "friends" have been saying there's no Santa for years...fucking killjoy buzzkill shitbags! I've told him that the belief is on him, but if he chooses to no longer belief he better not give his little brother a hard time (even though I'd love to give up the act).

We never did the whole "Santa is real" bit. Couldn't bring myself to lie to my kids. There are enough things one has to take on faith to have a big one (to a kid) presented then yanked back later. Just kidding, son. There is no Santa and I ate all the damn cookies every year just to fool you! Ha!

As the token MW Jew, I've been scratching my head over this phenomenon that seems to infect a larger portion of each year for decades. I just don't understand the lemming-like, grim procession to overcrowded malls with thronged parking lots in search of a bunch of crap that nobody really needs for reasons that defy logic, religious significance or any semblance of sanity.

Me -- I like holidays that feature lots of good food, companionship and perhaps a football game. Thanksgiving is right in my sweet-spot!

Lol @ token Jew. That's funny.
As the token Christian, I can say I despise the commercial aspect as much as anyone. We don't participate in that aspect all that much. For us, it's much more a church centered activity.

We never did the whole "Santa is real" bit. Couldn't bring myself to lie to my kids. There are enough things one has to take on faith to have a big one (to a kid) presented then yanked back later. Just kidding, son. There is no Santa and I ate all the damn cookies every year just to fool you! Ha!
I grew up believing in Santa and did not feel my parents had lied to me; I felt they allowed me to believe in magic while I could. I just wish that people wouldn't lose all their belief in the possibility of goodness and magic.

I grew up believing in Santa and did not feel my parents had lied to me; I felt they allowed me to believe in magic while I could. I just wish that people wouldn't lose all their belief in the possibility of goodness and magic.

We teach that but in different ways than a fat guy in a red suit who likes little kids. :lol:

Other than Howie, Shawn, and Mark(ish?)

I hate christmas. I love getting together with family, but I hate buying and receiving gifts. I have tried many times to get my family behind the buy a gift for yourself and just say it is from the family. My wife and I did that before we had kids. I would buy a guitar for myself and put a bow on it and stick it under the tree and we would pretend she bought it for me.

Fuck real/in-person shopping. We bought 95% of everything online. I want to support local businesses, but driving around norther Virginia at any time drives me crazy, unless I have non-store destination...that is to say a real place to go. Shopping sucks all year around to me. But I'm all good with the family, food, and friends part of it. I also like getting some time off work without having to use my precious leave. :thu:

Yeah, I had that conversation with my wife around the first Christmas with our oldest. I didn't want to do it, but the wife really sold all the joy and fun it brought and pointed how quickly we got over it when we stopped believing. There's a saying: Happy wife, happy life. That's something I whole-heartedly believe in.

Yeah, I had that conversation with my wife around the first Christmas with our oldest. I didn't want to do it, but the wife really sold all the joy and fun it brought and pointed how quickly we got over it when we stopped believing. There's a saying: Happy wife, happy life. That's something I whole-heartedly believe in.

Yep. Any time folks ask me how I've stayed married 29 years, I tell them the secret is two words..."Yes, dear."

Back