Whats your favorite 1x12 combo amp?

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I can't buy one right now but I need to start looking for a good smaller amp that I can get a decent sound out of at low volumes. I have a 1971 Deluxe Reverb that sounds great (when its in good repair) at medium volumes but not at a low volume. It's also needing a ton of service right now.

I don't think the Peavey Classic 30 has a loud enough clean sound for my needs...what else do you guys like?n My Suhr Badger 30 gets a really good low volume tone with its power scaling option but the cabinet is rather large...a combo would really help on some of my gigs. I'm not a Class A fan for the most part and reverb would be nice but not necessary....

If you can find one of these I think you would like it. Saw a local one go recently for $600

image.jpg

My answer is deluxe reverb, but you already got one. If you want something quieter, maybe a Princeton reverb?

It's not a combo, but that little Suhr Corso and the 1x12 of your choice would be incredibly portable, have a huge sound, and be very controllable from a volume standpoint.

My answer is deluxe reverb, but you already got one. If you want something quieter, maybe a Princeton reverb?

I'll keep an eye out...how is the clean sound though? Most Marshalls I've tried don't really do it for me in that department and it's way more important than the crunch, which I can pedal in....
If you can find one of these I think you would like it. Saw a local one go recently for $600

View attachment 13078
a Princeton with a 12 in it might be cool... I've seen someone mod theirs like that...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The studio 15 gets very chimey cleans and goes very dirty too. It has a built in attenuator It really is a veritable studio amp. Mine has the big pop bottle kt tube..... It's probably the most non marshall sounding Marshall amp..

Is that class A?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

It fits none of your requirements other than it's a 1x12. It's loud with EL-84s. I have no idea if it's Class A, but it probably is. Anyway, it's my favorite amp that I don't own. You should get a PRRI and put a 12" speaker in it.

I regret selling my Mesa Mark III. With an EV speaker, it was a heavy 1x12 but it was loud, clean, and reliable. Used Marks show up on the local craigslist pretty regularly and I would take one of those before a Deluxe Reverb at the same price. I'd love to get a Simul-Class with the option to mix EL-34s with the 6L6s.

I still believe a speaker upgrade takes the Peavey Classic 30 from "really good" to "wow" but, if you don't like Class A or EL-84s, it's probably out. Honestly, I've listened to your playing and read what you like about the Badger and I don't think that's where the Classic runs.

Soldano's Atomic 16 or Astroverb would kill it. They rate at 16w and play at 30w. I also had a Peavey Backstage Plus (10 in) that rocked.

I have 2. A Marshall 1974x and a Holland Li'l Jimi.

Maybe find an Allen Hot Fudge combo. The one without nuts. It's the brownface princeton clone. 15 watts with 6v6's and 25 watts with 6L6's. I've been using the head version with a 1974cx cabinet and the volume doesn't need to go past 2 or 2 1/2. Plenty loud at 15 watts. Takes pedals incredibly well. If anything went wrong with it, any competent amp tech could fix it.

I have 2. A Marshall 1974x and a Holland Li'l Jimi.

Maybe find an Allen Hot Fudge combo. The one without nuts. It's the brownface princeton clone. 15 watts with 6v6's and 25 watts with 6L6's. I've been using the head version with a 1974cx cabinet and the volume doesn't need to go past 2 or 2 1/2. Plenty loud at 15 watts. Takes pedals incredibly well. If anything went wrong with it, any competent amp tech could fix it.
Thats a good call actualy. I like that head a Pragestock. I liked the Holland even more but I'm not sure I can find one online.

Back