The Whiskey Thread

I find it interesting that after all of these higher priced whiskeys, Wild Turkey 101 and Rittenhouse Rye still rank.

Wild Turkey 101 has always been my old standby go to bourbon when I don't want to spend the high dollar. It still tastes great and lasts me longer due to the proof content.

I'll tell you another excellent one that I recently tried with a high proof content but was pricier: Knob Creek's Single Barrel at 120 proof. Damn good stuff. I'm not crazy about their 100 proof cause it tastes a little too sweet for me but the 120 is just right.

I'll tell you another excellent one that I recently tried with a high proof content but was pricier: Knob Creek's Single Barrel at 120 proof. Damn good stuff. I'm not crazy about their 100 proof cause it tastes a little too sweet for me but the 120 is just right.

Been looking for their single barrel. I'll try the mega warehouse store this week.

I found some 12-year WL Weller this weekend. It was delicious. It's rare to find it around Nashville these days because word has gotten out that it's basically Van Winkle 12, but fortunately word hasn't made it to Columbus, Texas, yet. :)

Reactions: Tig

Also bought my wife's doctor a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel for Christmas. I usually buy him something more boutique, but he likes JD.
This might be pretty good.
jack-daniels-single-barrel-whiskey.jpg

Yes...that is a good one...and I hate the normal JD so, that should up the ante of my approval. I have the empty bottle to symbolize how much I liked it.

and secondly......i feel very satisfied that folks are getting clued in on Elijah Craig.....i've been touting that stuff here and at HC for a couple years now. :thu:

Tried some Elijah Craig 12 tonight. Very bold, plenty of oak, and dry yet very tasty. A second pour will tell more, but I like it so far.

Starting the holiday off with Blanton's single barrel tonight. Damn, it tastes better than I remember.

BLANTON%20BBN.jpg

Bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve Small Batch Single Barrel during lunch (no, not for lunch!). Non-chill filtered.
To be continued...
Russell%27s%2BReserve%2BSmall%2BBatch%2BSingle%2BBarrel.JPG

I'll have to compare it with the highly regarded, bold taste of Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon.

Bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve Small Batch Single Barrel during lunch (no, not for lunch!). Non-chill filtered.
To be continued...
Russell%27s%2BReserve%2BSmall%2BBatch%2BSingle%2BBarrel.JPG

Ho-lee-fuk, this is some strong shit.
Doube vision is a bitch.

110 proof is no joke.

I noticed! I've had higher proof bourbons that didn't sneak up on my this quick. It took two ice cubes to tame it, but thats when the flavors opened up. Plenty of pepper up front that melted into cinnamon with a long lasting sweet finish. Not overly complex, but enough going on that I could write a thesis on it if it didn't double my vision!

I'm looking forward to the next taste, but approaching with caution. :grin:

Bought a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 a few days ago. The first taste didn't grab me. Plenty of fire power but not much to taste. I'll give it another try later. If all else fails, it is plenty good to mix with and Mrs. T likes bourbon and Coke.

Tried a new bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel Select last night. Pretty smooth and sweet with one distinct flavor I can't quite describe. Further testing required.
images

Last edited:
Back