The Whiskey Thread

Belle Meade Straight Bourbon
Runs about $40, 90 proof, from Nelson's Green Brier Distillery
This is a very tasty (complex) yet extremely smooth bourbon. I've had one glass so far and really liked it with it's long finish. It has a nice bit of rye in it. Each batch is only 4 barrels!
http://www.greenbrierdistillery.com/

History:
Before to prohibition, Nelson’s Greenbriar Distillery had one of the most popular bourbons available (Belle Meade) and the most popular Tennessee Whiskey in production (Nelson’s Greenbriar Tennessee Whiskey), reportedly outselling Jack Daniel’s 16-1. Then prohibition came along, forcing the family to close the business.

belle_meade_bourbon__40180.1353438336.1280.1280.jpg
Belle-Meade-Bourbon.jpg

I can't get into Belle Meade Bourbon. I want to because they're in my hometown. But it just doesn't taste good IMO.

All things whiskey 'cause it needs it's own thread.
Post reviews, news, what you're enjoying or hating, etc.

10 Great Affordable Bourbons (or Ryes) to Buy When You Can't Find Pappy Van Winkle
http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/t...rbons-buy-cant-find-pappy-van-winkle/?slide=1

That's a good list, but there are a few problems with it. For one, they used a photo of William Larue Weller instead of the W.L. Weller Special Reserve. cop0 That's a big difference. For another thing, they listed the Elijah Craig 18 year, which hasn't been bottled for a few years and is arguably harder to find than Pappy Van Winkle. cop0

I can't get into Belle Meade Bourbon. I want to because they're in my hometown. But it just doesn't taste good IMO.

I'll give it another taste tonight or tomorrow night. It was pretty good, IMO. I don't think it will knock Four Roses Single Barrel off the podium, though.

I'll give it another taste tonight or tomorrow night. It was pretty good, IMO. I don't think it will knock Four Roses Single Barrel off the podium, though.
Yeah, it's all just personal taste. But we definitely agree on the FRSB.

Reactions: Tig
I've had my eye on some Four Roses single barrel since Pragestock 2012 when Jaxn brought a bottle of his stash. That was good stuff.

Had a nice, full dram of Belle Meade Bourbon last night. I like most of it, but there is one strong leather flavor mid mouth that struck me wrong. It faded in the finish so no lingering. Otherwise, it was enjoyable.

Last edited:
News:
Buffalo Trace Distillery Opens New Experimental Warehouse

Warehouse X Will Enhance Whiskey Research In Search of the Holy Grail

Source: Buffalo Trace Distillery
Nov 22nd

Buffalo Trace Distillery will hold the grand opening today of its experimental barrel warehouse, Warehouse X, that will allow the Distillery to take its quest for the "perfect bourbon" even further.

Comprised of brick, concrete block, and skylights, Warehouse X is the first new building Buffalo Trace has added to its 130 acre complex in more than 60 years. This is no ordinary warehouse though - with a small footprint of only 30 feet by 50 feet, Warehouse X has the capacity of around 150 barrels. Its most compelling feature, however, is four independently operating chambers that allow specific variables to be tested in order to determine their effect on aging barrels. There is also a barrel breezeway with an open air rick underneath a roof in which a small number of barrels will age while being exposed to the natural elements.

News:
Buffalo Trace Distillery Opens New Experimental Warehouse

Warehouse X Will Enhance Whiskey Research In Search of the Holy Grail

Source: Buffalo Trace Distillery
Nov 22nd

Buffalo Trace Distillery will hold the grand opening today of its experimental barrel warehouse, Warehouse X, that will allow the Distillery to take its quest for the "perfect bourbon" even further.

Comprised of brick, concrete block, and skylights, Warehouse X is the first new building Buffalo Trace has added to its 130 acre complex in more than 60 years. This is no ordinary warehouse though - with a small footprint of only 30 feet by 50 feet, Warehouse X has the capacity of around 150 barrels. Its most compelling feature, however, is four independently operating chambers that allow specific variables to be tested in order to determine their effect on aging barrels. There is also a barrel breezeway with an open air rick underneath a roof in which a small number of barrels will age while being exposed to the natural elements.
That sounds interesting. I guess we'll see in about 6-10 years how it's working out.

Bought myself a bottle of Willett Family Reserve Bourbon. Will I see the Barbara Eden inside it?
upload_2013-12-6_14-53-25.jpeg
images

Also bought my wife's doctor a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel for Christmas. I usually buy him something more boutique, but he likes JD.
This might be pretty good.
jack-daniels-single-barrel-whiskey.jpg

Also bought my wife's doctor a bottle of Jack Daniels Single Barrel for Christmas. I usually buy him something more boutique, but he likes JD.
This might be pretty good.
jack-daniels-single-barrel-whiskey.jpg

That better be a whole lot better than the regular JD - shouldn't be too hard, because that shit is undrinkable. :embarrassed:

Back