The Biking Thread

A few more photos.

Nice! I'd like to race cross, just don't want to put out for a new bike. Occasionally on my road rides I'll come to a trailhead and just offroad with my road bike and slicks. But that definitely looks like fun.

Reactions: Tig
Had my first ride outside this year. On @Tig 's old bike he sold me. Very nice to be out and riding! Not long, not too hard. The bike path is under a couple feet of packed snow still, so out on the roads. I like the smooth road through the golf course much better than the county two lane chip seal. Just a little early season spinning, and enjoying today. I like that bike.

Chip and Seal is nasty on my bike...just beats me up. That and the road that one takes is narrow with lots of fast traffic...and about 1000' climb, after a 1500' climb to get there.

So I avoid it for the most part.

Chip and Seal is nasty on my bike...just beats me up. That and the road that one takes is narrow with lots of fast traffic...and about 1000' climb, after a 1500' climb to get there.

So I avoid it for the most part.

I'm still riding on my big 32mm wide Gatorskin winter tires, so chip seal and washboard are fairly painless at 60psi/50psi. I have a ride on Sunday that is over some nasty roads, so I'll keep them on until afterward. The colder, sometimes wet pavement of winter makes going with a bigger contact patch and lower psi a good move.
Back to the 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000S II's...

I'm still riding on my big 32mm wide Gatorskin winter tires, so chip seal and washboard are fairly painless at 60psi/50psi. I have a ride on Sunday that is over some nasty roads, so I'll keep them on until afterward. The colder, sometimes wet pavement of winter makes going with a bigger contact patch and lower psi a good move.
Back to the 28mm Continental Grand Prix 4000S II's...
I have 25mm Rubino Pros on there now. Was going to see if I thought I could fit some 28mm in that bike next time. I used to always be about the narrow tire and really high air pressure. Not feeling like that is needed as much any more. Though 60/50 sounds really low on a road bike.

I have 25mm Rubino Pros on there now. Was going to see if I thought I could fit some 28mm in that bike next time. I used to always be about the narrow tire and really high air pressure. Not feeling like that is needed as much any more. Though 60/50 sounds really low on a road bike.
Yeah, with 32's I can run that low. With 28's, I'm closer to 70/80, maybe 85 at most. I get far fewer punctures with bigger tires that can run lower psi.

Yeah, with 32's I can run that low. With 28's, I'm closer to 70/80, maybe 85 at most. I get far fewer punctures with bigger tires that can run lower psi.
I may try some 28s next time. Though I do like the 25s and will be off the chip seal again soon after the snow melts.

I'm on 23 at 110psi with an aluminum frame...all not good for chip and seal. Though knock on wood I haven't had a puncture on that bike in 2 years. That is when I got Continental Grand Prix 4000S tires :thu:. The back is nearly worn out but not quite yet...I doubt I'll get to the summer on these ones before I need to replace them

One the local racing guys from our Sat morning training rides, Rahsaan Bahatiti, records all of his races with a GoPro front and rear helmet cam and then posts the race with his narration on youtube. Might be boring for many, but I find his videos fascinating and insightful. He is a former national champion and has raced overseas in races like the Tour of Britain and many of the races he posts he actually wins, so it's always filled with good advice. Good way to experience a criterium race without actually doing it.

8B1575BB-106C-4164-BCC3-D7F9913232CB_zps8o5wjxpu.jpg~original

E5A62A82-8522-4E93-A023-AAE143BFB857_zpsj4oxzlc1.jpg~original

Rode with the kids and the wife today. Some southern single track is just opening up. Nice to be out!

Hey guys! I may be receiving a Davidson (custom builder in Seattle) touring model, steel, perhaps signature and truly custom, but knowing the lady that ordered it (an old friend of my mother in law, and a family friend, Her name is DA, and she is in her 90's and sharp as a tack), I would be surprised. They also sold pre-built frames, made in the shop. She is thrifty. But she also appreciates good value, and ordered the bike as part of an order from the Boeing Bike Club, with whom she toured. She is taller, and I am a short to average guy, and it seems to fit for a good tourer/allroad frame. It appears to me to be an very late 70's to mid 80's bike, but I am guessing based on the Shimano 105 brakes (but those could have been replacements). The derailleur is Sachs-Huret I think, the decal is gone. Appears to be a touring model available in the early to mid 80's from what I can tell. the cranks and bottom bracket is TA, the headset and hubs are Campagnolo, the bar cinelli, the wheels are Weinmann Aluminum, 36 hole, and built to be stout for touring, not especially light. The seat is an Avocet touring. The shifters on are the bar ends and there are no braze ons for shifters on the downtubes. This is what has me thrown and thinks maybe it was custom. Unless this was offered in models I did not find online. I don't have a pic to post right now, but will get one. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas? It seems to fit me for standover (I am 31" inseam, 5'9" at best) and could seem the slightest bit on the short side for top tube length but I think that is the touring geo. It has a VERY short stem on it right now. Has a little surface rust on the rear sprockets which will come off easily, a very little bit of corrosion on the rims, tires are brittle and will need to be replaced. It is fitted with fenders and will accept at least up to 32c which it has on now. Probably more if I take the fenders off.

In the meantime, anyone have any ideas what it might be? No model identified in the decals either.

The bike, with its owner, toured japan, all over canada, Washington state and other places. Metallic blue paint has some chips and scrapes from all the loving use, but I guess I consider that mojo. Much like an old classic tube guitar amp with a couple nicks and cigarette burns. I will have to change out the foam on the bars though. :wink: DA loved that foam, she told me. Not quite my style. DA wants someone to have it that will appreciate it, and I always loved the Bill Davidson's custom builds, along with the R&E builds that also existed back then in Seattle. I aim to please!

Steve, I'd email a few photos to Bill Davidson and see what he knows about the bike. I bought a similar custom built touring frame made be a local builder who is no longer with us and that bike rode like a dream. Unfortunately, it was a little too big for me. It was designed for 27" wheels and all the usual touring appointments.
34268280542_c203d3a09f_z.jpg

I'd ride it and get the seat position where you need it before replacing the stem. You can get a general idea where you would like the handlebar compared to where it is now. Once you install a stem that you want, then replace the foam with bar tape since that is required with the old quill stems.

Steve, I'd email a few photos to Bill Davidson and see what he knows about the bike. I bought a similar custom built touring frame made be a local builder who is no longer with us and that bike rode like a dream. Unfortunately, it was a little too big for me. It was designed for 27" wheels and all the usual touring appointments.
34268280542_c203d3a09f_z.jpg

I'd ride it and get the seat position where you need it before replacing the stem. You can get a general idea where you would like the handlebar compared to where it is now. Once you install a stem that you want, then replace the foam with bar tape since that is required with the old quill stems.

Thanks Tig. Good ideas. I will get a couple pics before bothering Bill. He is still building, as you probably know. I am thinking, after commuting in on my converted Fisher, that I will keep the Fisher as more of the commuting mule, and clean this bike up and set it up for more all-road/go fast gravel, and take the rack off other than if I take it on some longer touring. I can tell it is lighter and comfortable and might be a good long tourer, but also may be a really fun gravel/cross/allroad bike that is also fast.

Well, I ended up not waiting for pictures and called Bill Davidson. He was very gracious, and indicated based on the information I gave him that he guessed it was a bike from anywhere from the late 70's to early 80's. He said he could tweek it for me to accept more gears, replace the stem, arrange for re-paint if I wanted, etc. Not that I will do all that, but it is fun to window shop about it. I do want to stop in at least with the bike some time.

Old bike mojo (just kidding) though they can be a pain since it's getting hard to find parts for older bikes like that. I have an early 80's custom build too and even at the bike exchange I have trouble finding parts. But if it's already up to date there won't be a problem.

Look forward to seeing pictures

Old bike mojo (just kidding) though they can be a pain since it's getting hard to find parts for older bikes like that. I have an early 80's custom build too and even at the bike exchange I have trouble finding parts. But if it's already up to date there won't be a problem.

Look forward to seeing pictures
Nah, it is full vintage. But everything seems to work fine. I am thinking I will just clean it up and ride it. and maybe change out the stem and possibly the bar after figuring out the fit. Mr. Davdison did say that it was probably a custom as it does not have the fittings for downtube shifters, so he said he probably made it that way by request. I am not really thinking I need to change the gearing or anything as it has plenty of range and seems to be in good shape, other than the lower pully wheel on the Sachs-Huret mech. I already see some replacement mechs online for not too much if I need one. Maybe will get a pic tomorrow or over the weekend.

Back