The Biking Thread

It was hotter in the mountains here than in the lowlands....marine layer ==temperature inversion. Thankfully today was not as hot as Friday or Sat or the ride would have been very short

A rare cool front showed up last night, so I had to make the most of it. I haven't been on the Memorial Park trails since last September. I see they've added a few TTF's like the one behind me. I helped build many of these trails back in the 80's.

It was a perfect, uncrowded day to enjoy the wooded single track on the single speed.

upload_2017-7-31_14-37-14.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-31_14-36-54.jpeg
    upload_2017-7-31_14-36-54.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 67
Three flats in 1hr 15 mins....I tapped out

rant mode on...

Decided to do a long hillish ride today. Was supposed to be about 60 miles and 4-4500' or so. Started off bad, massive traffic for 1st day of school(?) which I thought was Monday but the number of people on the side streets after 9 suggested it was today. Cleared the traffic and headed to the hills for a decent climb about 1900' over about 5 miles. Near the top...oh oh, a flat. Crappy place, a narrow road with no shoulder. So I walked up to the summit maybe 1/8mile and changed the tire. The tire which is foldable, does not seem to like the crank brother speedier tire changer I have (works great on my wire bead tires). Somehow I nick the spare tube. Fucking great now I have 2 flats. I have temporary patches so I fix the tubes and more carefully get the tire back on the rim. Get the tire inflated and it seems ok. Off I go. I was as far from home as possible at this time so there was no short way back. Everything was going well until about an hour later. I slowed for a turn, nearly skidded out and yup flat #3. I figured it was the temporary patch not holding. I tried to reinflate but only got about a 1/2 mile before I had to stop again. Called the wife to say I was going to be MUCH later than expected, she offered to come and get me and I didn't say no.

I could have (and did while waiting) fix the temporary patch again but I was still about an hour away and I might have had to do it yet again. 47 miles on a 60 mile ride but I was read to go home and eat. So yeah I wimped out. That's a total of 6 flats in 7 days (4 riding days). I'm done with flats for a while I hope

rant off

Reactions: Tig
Was going to go waterskiing tonight and practice the slalom course. I am a strong freeskier, but kinda suck at the actual course. You have to ski it to get good at it. But, my buddy called and said the site was blown out by wind. Oh well, will go for a bike ride instead! :)

Three flats in 1hr 15 mins....I tapped out

rant mode on...

Decided to do a long hillish ride today. Was supposed to be about 60 miles and 4-4500' or so. Started off bad, massive traffic for 1st day of school(?) which I thought was Monday but the number of people on the side streets after 9 suggested it was today. Cleared the traffic and headed to the hills for a decent climb about 1900' over about 5 miles. Near the top...oh oh, a flat. Crappy place, a narrow road with no shoulder. So I walked up to the summit maybe 1/8mile and changed the tire. The tire which is foldable, does not seem to like the crank brother speedier tire changer I have (works great on my wire bead tires). Somehow I nick the spare tube. Fucking great now I have 2 flats. I have temporary patches so I fix the tubes and more carefully get the tire back on the rim. Get the tire inflated and it seems ok. Off I go. I was as far from home as possible at this time so there was no short way back. Everything was going well until about an hour later. I slowed for a turn, nearly skidded out and yup flat #3. I figured it was the temporary patch not holding. I tried to reinflate but only got about a 1/2 mile before I had to stop again. Called the wife to say I was going to be MUCH later than expected, she offered to come and get me and I didn't say no.

I could have (and did while waiting) fix the temporary patch again but I was still about an hour away and I might have had to do it yet again. 47 miles on a 60 mile ride but I was read to go home and eat. So yeah I wimped out. That's a total of 6 flats in 7 days (4 riding days). I'm done with flats for a while I hope

rant off
:( I had a feeling there was a story behind your Strava ride entry.

I won't say how long it has been since I had any flats so as not to jinx myself. I hate flats like Jake Blues hates Illinois Nazi's. I carry 2 tubes and several patches, plus some tyvek envelope for boot material.

I had gone almost 2 years without so I've been making up for lost time I guess. The second was entirely my fault...I was rushing because I was tired (it was right at the top of the big climb) and knew it was going to delay me. I should have realized why the tire was being so difficult that I was doing something wrong but I was in a "get going" mode and didn't think it through

Hopefully I'll not have a flat tomorrow :eek: after that I should be safe for a week...since I won't be riding

Been getting some decent riding in lately, after break. My guy's group never really took off this year, so I don't feel like I have put in the same level of intensity or that my bike fitness is where I like it to be at this time of year. @Tig has seen my strava stuff. Riding but not epics or huge. But am aiming to finish the year strong and increase fitness to the end of the season. Late summer riding when the temps taper off, and especially autumn riding, is my favorite!

I've backed off riding the last 5 or so weeks, but I'm increasing it starting this week. I needed a break from the heat and riding in general. I need to push myself to regain lost fitness in time for cyclocross season.

Heading up to Fisher Creek to camp on friends' property at the mouth of that canyon and beginning of that ride. Bringing my mountain bike, and eclipse beer, and eclipse glasses!

This is a favorite ride for people coming here. I like it, but it is not necessarily my very favorite. A good ride nonetheless, and once there, won't need the car. There are some side trips too mid ride. One thing they missed. They said a beginner might be happy. I disagree. the hill climb has a head wall that is hike a bike for anyone who is not a fit cyclist with at least a bit of experience. Also, this year, that approach road is very washed out, and one needs to be careful.

Back