The Biking Thread

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
I was short on time today so I figured I would try taking my bike out for a ride on the Santiago Creek bike trail, which runs by my house. Here's the stats:

Distance:8.16 miles
Time:0 hr 42 min 06 secs
Average speed:11.6 miles/hr
Weight255
Calories burned:647
Feel:not set
Temperature:0

I might do this once or twice a week...I went half that distance last Wednesday and it went pretty easy. :)

Is that strava data? I have the app but have not used it. We are just heading out of biking season as it is snowing and raining (down low in the valley) here, and the trails are likely to close up soon. But definitely a thread I intend to be a part of.

I guess its a street bike. cheapie 29" that I got at Wallmart a couple of months ago before we went "camping".

The data is from "Log Your Run", which does all kinds of cool stuff: http://logyourrun.com/

If you're doing this for fitness sake, I'd consider getting a cheap cyclo like a $20 Cats eye. The benefit being that it's mounted on your handlebar in plain sight where you can monitor your average speed, time, distance, etc. I find it especially motivational for road work to know this info so you can push your self and the feedback keeps you on track.

I've probably been out on my bike a dozen times this year, if that.

Shocking roads, aggresive traffic and a Summer that didn't actually exist transpired against me.

I'm going to get a rack for the car next year because on the other side of the city is some superb back roads for cycling on.

I guess its a street bike. cheapie 29" that I got at Wallmart a couple of months ago before we went "camping".

The data is from "Log Your Run", which does all kinds of cool stuff: http://logyourrun.com/

Strava is the GPS-y cycling app that records stuff. I have it but have not used it. I think it would be useful for "work out" rides, but it is an inside joke to laugh at the guys out on a nice mountain bike ride who yell "STRAVA" to get you to move out of the way as they blow through to set PR's in their workout. There is a time and a place for that, but sometimes you have to be a bit less stretch-panty about things. :) Glad to hear you are cycling though! Great exercise that is great for the cardio system and easier on the joints!

Mark, once a week is a great ride that is easy to maintain. Vary it up a little to keep it interesting. Be sure to put air in the tires once a week, as all bike tires lose pressure.

And don't forget your brain bucket!
helmet-fail.jpg

We are just heading out of biking season as it is snowing and raining (down low in the valley) here, and the trails are likely to close up soon. But definitely a thread I intend to be a part of.

The end of the bike season, eh? Be sure to hang it up indoors!
Frozen%20Bicycle%20Fail.jpg

If you're doing this for fitness sake, I'd consider getting a cheap cyclo like a $20 Cats eye. The benefit being that it's mounted on your handlebar in plain sight where you can monitor your average speed, time, distance, etc. I find it especially motivational for road work to know this info so you can push your self and the feedback keeps you on track.

Strava is the GPS-y cycling app that records stuff. I have it but have not used it. I think it would be useful for "work out" rides, but it is an inside joke to laugh at the guys out on a nice mountain bike ride who yell "STRAVA" to get you to move out of the way as they blow through to set PR's in their workout. There is a time and a place for that, but sometimes you have to be a bit less stretch-panty about things. :) Glad to hear you are cycling though! Great exercise that is great for the cardio system and easier on the joints!

Mark, once a week is a great ride that is easy to maintain. Vary it up a little to keep it interesting. Be sure to put air in the tires once a week, as all bike tires lose pressure.

And don't forget your brain bucket!
helmet-fail.jpg

The end of the bike season, eh? Be sure to hang it up indoors!
Frozen%20Bicycle%20Fail.jpg

I might look into something like that if I really keep it up. I started riding last week just to shake up the cardio routine and I think I'm enjoying enough to maybe make it a weekly thing. My brother-in-law does 20-30 mile rides a couple of times a month so maybe if I keep it up I might try and tag along with him. the 8 miles I did today way about the limit of what I can do right now though.

It all builds with time and regular riding.

Also, as you ride longer, the sit bones can take only so much time in the saddle before they hurt. This gets better with time. A cheap and non-spandex way to help is to buy a set of padded cycling underwear. Yes, you read that right!
Check out REI online and try one for about $25.

Right on Mark.

I am really missing my cyclocross bike these days. I sold it to get the kayak and some other stuff and though I love the kayak, I wish I had the bike. I dont miss the road bike as much because I dont think I'll ever go back to that kind of riding but I loved the ability to ride on or off the road.

As Tig says, just keep riding. It wont be long before you ride 20 and be surprised how easy it was. Then you will find you wont ride less than 20 and it doesnt take much longer than an hour.

It all builds with time and regular riding.

Also, as you ride longer, the sit bones can take only so much time in the saddle before they hurt. This gets better with time. A cheap and non-spandex way to help is to buy a set of padded cycling underwear. Yes, you read that right!
Check out REI online and try one for about $25.

I might get some for work :embarrassed:

Right on Mark.

I am really missing my cyclocross bike these days. I sold it to get the kayak and some other stuff and though I love the kayak, I wish I had the bike. I dont miss the road bike as much because I dont think I'll ever go back to that kind of riding but I loved the ability to ride on or off the road.

As Tig says, just keep riding. It wont be long before you ride 20 and be surprised how easy it was. Then you will find you wont ride less than 20 and it doesnt take much longer than an hour.

I was surprised at how easy 8 was. I've been doing a ton of cardio so that wasn't really an issue but I started running out of gas about 6 miles in.

The under shorts might be really uncomfortable off the bike. :embarrassed: I somehow doubt you'll need them to cushion ass chewings at work!

As you get into regular riding, try spinning in an easier gear instead of grinding slow cadence with a higher gear. We tend to want to stay in that slower cadence gear as if it were a power workout, but spinning a little more burns plenty of calories and keeps the ride more aerobic.
You'll find it can help with endurance, too.

The under shorts might be really uncomfortable off the bike. :embarrassed: I somehow doubt you'll need them to cushion ass chewings at work!

As you get into regular riding, try spinning in an easier gear instead of grinding slow cadence with a higher gear. We tend to want to stay in that slower cadence gear as if it were a power workout, but spinning a little more burns plenty of calories and keeps the ride more aerobic.

It's really all about the cadence ....and consistently maintaining that faster cadence

Yep. Cadence. Very key. For my first few years of more serious cycling, I loved my cateye computer with the cadence option. Mark, if you get one, make sure it has cadence. It involves a separate cable and sensor. But is invaluable in judging where you are. "Mashing" or pushing a heavier feeling gear is hard on the knees too. Today's shifters are so nice, it is really easy to keep your cadence where you want it once you get used to it.

Nice one, Mark!

It's really all about the cadence ....and consistently maintaining that faster cadence

Yep. Cadence. Very key. For my first few years of more serious cycling, I loved my cateye computer with the cadence option. Mark, if you get one, make sure it has cadence. It involves a separate cable and sensor. But is invaluable in judging where you are. "Mashing" or pushing a heavier feeling gear is hard on the knees too. Today's shifters are so nice, it is really easy to keep your cadence where you want it once you get used to it.

thanks guys! I'll definitely experiment next week.

Back