Return to the Planet of the "Hey Euro's its that time again" Thread.

morning cnuts

3pfi13.jpg

oi oi fuds and fudettes.

Went out and done a bit of canvasing tonight and not that it'll mean a lot to most folk but there's a lot of No voters out there who are scared / reticent to voice their opinion or be open about how they plan to vote. One street I did around 85% of voters were on the no side but the place was plastered with Yes signs and stickers making them think all of their neighbours / the local area was Yes.

It's actually quite intriguing to see.

But I digress, my gran is from Stoke and has lived here since the 50s (when she was daft enough to hook up with my mad grandpa) and she says the past week or so is the first time she's felt self conscious and wanted to hide the fact she's English. Whatever side you fall on, that's a disgusting thing to see in a demoncracy and quite a few of the folk I spoke to tonight, particuclarly the auld yins, were the same.

That's a shame jbj. I really hope it doesn't end up becoming a bit like Northern Ireland where everything becomes so polarised, with neighbourhoods flying flags from every house to intimidate people from the other side, and even painting the kerb stones in the flags' colours.

I also can't wait till this is all over. We've just started the lengthy process towards getting a visa for my wife so we can all come back to live in Edinburgh. The uncertainty in the lead up to the vote is killing us as it basically affects everything (not to mention we need to change a large sum of money to pounds and we've no idea which direction the exchange rate is going to go, so we could easily lose many thousands if we time that wrong).

@jbj - interesting reading. Hopefully people will feel free to vote as they want and not be intimidated into voting otherwise by peer pressure.

@irishstu - good luck with the visa application, I know that's been a pain the arse for you for a long time.

Morning
Ive seen some of the loutish nationalist SNP supporters on the TV. Its a little bit scary that they're being allowed to intimidate people. Some of them are no better than the fuckwits in the BNP.

Thanks @Gorgon90 . We've just managed to scrape together enough money from various different sources (sixty-two and a half grand) which now has to sit in a bank account for six months before we can apply for the visa (yup, that's the current rule if you don't already have a job offer in the UK, which obviously I don't), so it'll be some time yet. But yeah, deciding if/when to convert the money is killing us at the moment.

oi oi fuds and fudettes.

Went out and done a bit of canvasing tonight and not that it'll mean a lot to most folk but there's a lot of No voters out there who are scared / reticent to voice their opinion or be open about how they plan to vote. One street I did around 85% of voters were on the no side but the place was plastered with Yes signs and stickers making them think all of their neighbours / the local area was Yes.

It's actually quite intriguing to see.

Morning
Ive seen some of the loutish nationalist SNP supporters on the TV. Its a little bit scary that they're being allowed to intimidate people. Some of them are no better than the fuckwits in the BNP.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/yes-shop-staff-change-shifts-after-nazi-attack-1-3538186

1741433622.jpg

So there are arseholes on both sides, what a surprise...

So far I found the whole referendum generally very civil and good-spirited. Yes, there are some arseholes who take thinks too far, but really, should we should ask Ukraine what they think?

I know we are on opposite sides here, but this 'they are worse/less informed/more violent than us' schtick you have been putting up recently is frankly a bit pathetic. I have no affinity with the 'Yes' movement, nor am I a SNP voter, never been. It's my personal situation that makes me vote yes (that and my personal aversion to the anti-immigrant/anti-Europe sentiment of the ruling UL parties), and I am sure that most people have decent arguments for their choice.

Last edited:
I'm calling it like I see it Wok - there's clearly arseholes on both sides but the Yes seem much more organised and militant to my eyes.

My gran is English and has lived here since the 50s and only now does she feel self conscious and reluctant to let people know she's English.

I spoke to several people yesterday who felt intimidated by the perceived militancy from sections of the Yes campaign.

I've not seen any Yes politicians being surrounded and heckled by large crowds, having missiles thrown at them or indeed as is the case of Murphy, having to remove themselves from the campaign trail for a while because of fears for they and they're family's safety.

I'm not a parochial minded cavemen and there's indeed unsavoury elements from both sides but from what I'm seeing, and what the people around here seem to feel, is that there's a sizeable element of the Yes campaign at this point in time which is intimidating them. Is that a subjective call? Of course but they've not just plucked these feelings out of the air.

Look at in Glasgow Miliband today - yes he's a total cunt but these people have so little a regard for the political protest that they'll actually turn a baying mob on an elected official so he can't say his peace? Fuck seeing that shit in a modern democracy.

The whole thing has been highly divisive and whilst I don't think we're going to descend into something akin to the Troubles, the ill will it's bred between families, neighbours, friends and communities isn't going to suddenly disappear on the 19th...

Morning all.

"The team also work with "Bob", an autonomous robot who recently completed work experience at security firm G4S."

12_Ultra-Pulverize-Robocop-650x502.jpg

I can now picture Ian Paisley arriving at The Pearly Gates and being greeted by Pope John Paul II, who says 'NO!'

I can now picture Ian Paisley arriving at The Pearly Gates and being greeted by Pope John Paul II, who says 'NO!'

lol

I'm not sure how close they've been over the past few years but my uncle who turned into a fairy mental born againer was pretty tight with Paisley a decade or so ago and he's probably distraught.

Just another dinosaur gone the way of the dodo.

Paisley lived in the street next to mine. I actually spoke to him on the phone once, as I had to call his house to get my brother to come home for tea (Paisely's son's about the same age as my brother and I guess they actually hung out briefly).

I absolutely did not agree with his politics at all. I'll tell you what, though. I'm really surprised about how nice people are being in general about him. I thought it was going to be like when Thatcher kicked the bucket.

I suppose he did embrace peace in the end, which I can appreciate.

Back