OMG Politics, I'm over it already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HBO is rated just like any other network. But they often only release ratings numbers for live viewing, so it’s often hard to know if a show is tanking or if it’s just popular with cord cutters.

I'm watching 13th on Netflix right now. It's a seriously disturbing history of the legacy of the 13th Amendment and how it led to the war on drugs, the prison industrial complex, and the current political environment. I recommend it. It's a tough, but important, film to watch.

And it looks like they are. My mistake!

image.png

I think everyone agrees that the ACA needs to be fixed. I also feel like many of the problems with it have to do with the Republicans obstructing the implementation of the bill in any way they could during the Obama years and no one controlling the insurance and pharma companies. But I also remember that ACA seemed rushed out without being fully formed in the beginning as I watched a few of my students who happen to be insurance agents struggle with how it was all going to work when they had deadlines for enrollment and compliance with the law without many important parts of it being actually worked out or written and disseminated effectively to those who needed the information to get the work done.

Instead of using the ACA as a club to punish the people you don't agree with, the government should actually just fix the damn thing. But that won't happen. Because compromise is dead.

I think everyone agrees that the ACA needs to be fixed. I also feel like many of the problems with it have to do with the Republicans obstructing the implementation of the bill in any way they could during the Obama years and no one controlling the insurance and pharma companies. But I also remember that ACA seemed rushed out without being fully formed in the beginning as I watched a few of my students who happen to be insurance agents struggle with how it was all going to work when they had deadlines for enrollment and compliance with the law without many important parts of it being actually worked out or written and disseminated effectively to those who needed the information to get the work done.

Instead of using the ACA as a club to punish the people you don't agree with, the government should actually just fix the damn thing. But that won't happen. Because compromise is dead.
This.

It was also in the news when they cancelled the commercials warning late registering people about the upcoming cutoff date.
They wanted as many people as possible to fall through, get the penalty and get pissed off in order to get some cheap support for their gutting of the ACA. Seems it's working a charm.

What really pisses me off is, when they say, "Healthcare costs are spiraling out of control". No shit Sherlock. That was happening BEFORE the ACA. Kinda why they thought it would be a good idea.

Dear Donald

We understand you would like the press to leave you alone/be nice to you. Yes, we do think you are a piece of shit and want you gone. Yes, we are emotionally attached to the constitution. It's very dear to us. Above anything though, why the press has to go after you, it has to come out into the light. Whatever. Everything. We can't have Russia having something on you, thus controlling you. When everything you do is public knowledge, they have no power over you. It's as simple as that.

Like basically every other law passed in human history, the ACA is imperfect and will require adjustments and tweaks going forward.
I don't know how accurate this is but my father-in-law told me that when Medicare was first implemented in the mid '60's that it went through many of the same criticisms and problems that the ACA has gone through. Now can you imagine taking it away from people today? I know they talk about Republicans going after it but is that REALLY going to happen?

I don't know how accurate this is but my father-in-law told me that when Medicare was first implemented in the mid '60's that it went through many of the same criticisms and problems that the ACA has gone through. Now can you imagine taking it away from people today? I know they talk about Republicans going after it but is that REALLY going to happen?
If Paul Ryan has his way, yes.

Reactions: Tig

Not likely. Unless it involves bombing and military occupation, the GOP is fundamentally incapable of crafting policy. They might, MIGHT, pull the pre-existing condition clause and the coverage for adult aged children and rename it TrumpCare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back