MWGL Photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I killed the thread? :(

I'll kill it some more

Weather forcast for today was supposed to be nice for most of the day, so I went for a walk up to the Trossachs about 30 miles north of Glasgow. Unfortunately it completely clouded over just after I got one picture of the sunrise, during the day and the sunset, when it was pissing down. So I black and whited some of the photos to make them look a bit less dull

Sunrise mist Dukes Pass by fenix strat, on Flickr

Ben A'an by fenix strat, on Flickr

Ben A'an from Dukes Pass by fenix strat, on Flickr

Ben A'an by fenix strat, on Flickr

Loch Achray by fenix strat, on Flickr

Trossachs Church by fenix strat, on Flickr

Loch Achray by fenix strat, on Flickr

Trossachs Church by fenix strat, on Flickr

@Hanglow

nice pics.
i don't think you killed the thread. i'm guessing it's slow because of the time of year (holidays) and winter. i haven't taken a pic i would post in several months.

Is that the head of the sleeping soldier? If so I can see it from my gaff :thu:

I was in Edinburgh yesterday and got some nice shots on the Royal Mile and a few good ones of a squirrel mincing aroudn Princes Gardens this morning, will upload when I'm less drunk and mellow :grin:

Oh yeah, my brother is planning on buying some sort of canon full frame model in the next week or two with the intention of starting to do baby studio shoots in his spare room.

I shall have to take that out for a spin if he'll let me :)

Some of my oldies

tumblr_m1udj2YKBs1rsj2gso1_400.jpg

tumblr_m4hi3hpaBB1rsj2gso1_400.jpg

tumblr_mrveari6jZ1rsj2gso1_400.jpg

tumblr_m1qp7egexn1rsj2gso1_400.jpg

tumblr_mhji0zKNVS1rsj2gso1_400.jpg

tumblr_mgyoi9iUu71rsj2gso1_r2_400.jpg

tumblr_mgsfxnvcAk1rsj2gso1_400.jpg

Nice and artistic theodore

Is that the head of the sleeping soldier? If so I can see it from my gaff :thu:

I was in Edinburgh yesterday and got some nice shots on the Royal Mile and a few good ones of a squirrel mincing aroudn Princes Gardens this morning, will upload when I'm less drunk and mellow :grin:

I keep meaning to take my camera back through to edinburgh and get some decent pictures of the old town like the closes etc

I went up to Inveraray/Loch Fyne area today, took a few. Was going to climb beinn Ime but managed to fuck my calf muscles while taking pictures of the Butter Bridge at half eight this morning thwap0 It's about twice the size it should be. fml. Also I was carrying my camera on the tripod at the time and when i fell over i went flying, the lens got caked in mud. Thankfully no scratches on the lens

Got some decent ones, despite the glen being out of any good light. the inveraray one was taken with the zoom lens handheld
Butter Bridge-1 by fenix strat, on Flickr
Butter Bridge-2 by fenix strat, on Flickr
Inveraray harbour by fenix strat, on Flickr

Wow! There are some really great pics here in this thread. I have never been very good at taking pictures.

I've found it's not THAT difficult if you have a little idea about what the camera can actually do.

I got into it through taking photos at gigs i.e. needing to light up people but keep the background dark so it doesn't look like it's 3 in the afternoon. My brother did a bit of reading then told me what to set my aperture, iso and exposure to for those kind of shots and why and I've just taken it from there.

I've still plenty to learn but it's great messing around with the camera on manual and finding out what does what. I picked up a magazine on the way bag from Edinburgh that gave some ideas on shooting at night so I spent half an hour outside my local pub tonight taking shots with different exposures to see how it affected it.

Before goign in for some refreshing lager beers of course :grin: :embarrassed:

I should have added - if you have an eye for a shot - it really makes a difference, I'm using an entry level body with run of the mill lenses, I could take better shots with better gear however I think my shots are pretty good - every day I see guys on facebook bridal forums advertising as wedding togs who are really just guys with a camera - they couldn't compose a decent shot if their life depended on it.

A few years ago my wife and I had done a little wedding djing and I always thought about what an easy job the photographers had. And they charge ridiculous money for it too.

A few years ago my wife and I had done a little wedding djing and I always thought about what an easy job the photographers had. And they charge ridiculous money for it too.

My wedding DJ prices start at slightly over £500 and my most popular package is over £600. Don't get me wrong, I burst my arse in the run up and on the night to it but hour for hour, it pays a lot better than a tog who's there from the bride getting ready through to the 1st few evening dances - saying that, I do realise US weddings are a good bit different to over here... in a UK wedding most togs are able to leave around half 8 or 9 at night.

And then they need to do all their editing and whatnot which even if you get really good shots off the bat (I'm REALLY good at taking gig shots and can put together one of my montage videos in 15 minutes but that's a total different kettle of fish to a whole day of wedding shots) they've still got plenty of post stuff to do.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to rock up to a gig with a back pack and some lenses but I genuinely think that if you took a top end tog and myself and compared them £ for £ on hours worked, I'd be by far the winner.

My brother is a high end wedding DJ too and has absolutely no inclination to go into wedding photography even with his fancy new camera and he's got a much better business mind than me....

Went for a short walk round the west end to exercise my injured calf. Seemed to hold up but it'll be a few more weeks before I can go up a proper hill I think :( Did take some pictures of the usual suspects round there

The uni

University of Glasgow
by fenix strat, on Flickr

The museum

Kelvingrove

the organ at the museum

Kelvingrove Organ

memorial at museum

Memorial at Kelvingrove

sunset skyline. Not the best sunset thought it might be a bit better

Sunset over the West End

Last edited:
There's only one uni in Glasgow and it isn't that yuppie infested shitehole :embarrassed:

My brother's new fancy camera arrived the other day. He's not done much with it but even the build of the thing is amazing. He's starting to do kids portraits and has his first booking next week :thu:

:embarrassed:

the pro cameras make the one I've got look like a dinky little toy, should be great to use once all the buttons are figured out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back