MWGL Photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really shoot close up stuff but my wife talked me into a shot of this tulip in the yard.

DSC_0482_zpsu1xgr0yg.jpg

Two of my employees are getting married and I'm shooting the pictures. I'm excited to do this, it's a real first for me. I've never shot a same sex wedding before.

Went to Wyalusing State Park in southwest Wisconsin Wednesday.

Trail to the top,

DSC_0394_zpsowitr7nc.jpg

It's almost 500 feet down on the other side of that railing. Rather than climb to the top we did it backwards. We drove to the top and took the trail down.

View of the Wisconsin River delta where it flows into the Mississippi.

DSC_0868_zpsssrprsol.jpg

Left side is the Mississippi. On the way home blew a hub and just before we got home we had a small but impressive fire in the right front wheel well. Last Wednesday I wound up in the hospital, this Wednesday I broke the truck, Wednesdays are my Monday, the first day of my work week and I'm starting to not like them even more than before!

Got a new lens so I ran out to the park to test it out,
DSC_0049_zpskktdkgka.jpg

I was over a half mile away and 300 feet below these people. The new lens is a Tamron 70-300.

Went for a short walk today about twenty miles north of Glasgow

This is called the Devils Pulpit, it's a small but fairly magical gorge that's a bit hidden from view. The brown water and red sandstone it flows over makes the water look very red when the light catches it properly. Part of a rather crap film called The Eagle was filmed in it

fYOtnBD.jpg

pjTv0Bu.jpg

LXsJ0dw.jpg

Also walked just south of Loch Lomond, it was pretty hazy and overcast.

fptnXDj.jpg

DSC_0460_zpsdvncdegb.jpg

DSC_0464_zpspqsk2d3c.jpg

Thai pavilion in Madison Wi. Gift from Thailand. Built there, disassembled and shipped here. Thai craftsman came here on last flight allowed to land on 9/11. They re-assembled it. There's not one screw or nail in the whole thing. All perfectly fitted interlocking joints.

Went to Wyalusing State Park in southwest Wisconsin Wednesday.

Trail to the top,

DSC_0394_zpsowitr7nc.jpg

It's almost 500 feet down on the other side of that railing. Rather than climb to the top we did it backwards. We drove to the top and took the trail down.

View of the Wisconsin River delta where it flows into the Mississippi.

DSC_0868_zpsssrprsol.jpg

Left side is the Mississippi. On the way home blew a hub and just before we got home we had a small but impressive fire in the right front wheel well. Last Wednesday I wound up in the hospital, this Wednesday I broke the truck, Wednesdays are my Monday, the first day of my work week and I'm starting to not like them even more than before!
Nice! Wyalusing was a favorite and frequent camping spot as a kid..

Been playing with some Black & White lately. The Wisconsin State Historical Society is having a photo contest this fall featuring "Your Favorite Historic Place", I figure b&w is perfect for that historic feel.

This is my wife's favorite,

DSC_0077%202_zpsmminfwsx.jpg

The upper Dells boat tour office. Built for Dells Boat Tours in 1924. Except for the big screen on the wall it appears to be all original. Even the peeling paint. I love this place because it is so original. It also reminds me of an old train station.

Speaking of trains. I also love the Mid-Continent Railway Museum.

DSC_0029%202_zpstoh8mru0.jpg

DSC_0028%202_zps7qoziuwk.jpg

My wife's not big on the train pictures. I like them but I'm not 100% sure they say what I want them to say.

just a random crappy low light iPhone 6 pic I took this mornin' in the Tucson mountains about 15 minutes from downtown TuScon

IMG_0193.JPG

I went for a walk round Chatelherault country park yesterday, which is just down the clyde valley, southwest of glasgow and took a few snaps

This isn't some mansion, it was merely the hunting lodge for the Duke of Hamilton - Hamilton Palace stood a few miles away down a grand avenue of trees.The palace sadly fell into disrepair and was demolished in the 1920s and only the mausoleum remains. I believe it was the second largest private residence in the UK when it was still there. The Hamiltons got rich off the coal they mined in the area, they had almost unlimitled wealth from it - these coal mines led to subsidence of the palace though, somewhat ironically

The Hunting Lodge, dates from 1740-ish
YfJAb2k.jpg

View down what would have been the grand avenue, you can just about see the mausoleum in the distance. The white building in the middle is about where the Palace once stood
UuUJlCm.jpg

Inside one of the rooms
mAgUmJj.jpg

The park also has the Cadzow Oaks, the oldest living trees in scotland, they date to 1460. Gnarly. This one stands close to the earthwork remains of a small prehistoric promontory fort
mVrJ8Ji.jpg

The Hamiltons also built Cadzow Castle in the middle ages. It was besieged when they supported Mary Queen of Scots and was partially destroyed. It's a bit of a ruin as you can see, hopefully they can stabilise it
IYzfTsf.jpg

Being close to Hamilton, all sort of japery happens in the forest
KyuxGZxl.jpg

There's a lot of good stuff for proper photographers rather than the guff i take, and a lot of it is a bit grim in a Trainspotting way

There are loads of great mountains though, most are quite small by most standards but that is because they are so old compared to the Alps or Rocky mountains. They are incredibly varied - Hopefully I will make a few more trips up north this year to take some snaps of them

There's a lot of good stuff for proper photographers rather than the guff i take, and a lot of it is a bit grim in a Trainspotting way

There are loads of great mountains though, most are quite small by most standards but that is because they are so old compared to the Alps or Rocky mountains. They are incredibly varied - Hopefully I will make a few more trips up north this year to take some snaps of them

The White mountains of New Hampshire USA are much the same way. They were all covered, then ground and shaped by glaciers in the last ice age. Very old mountains indeed. Having hiked many a mile through them, I can tell you that it can change your soul and outlook on things. One can ride a train up to the summit of highest peak in the east to enjoy the view. But getting up there on your own is something else entirely. But it is not without peril. People have died hiking in these mountains. People planning to climb Everest often come here in the winter to train for the bigger peaks because of the weather. If you are having problems at 4000+ feet, you might survive. You would die at 20K+.

The views from above treeline are in one word.... magnificent. If the weather holds. I have had to turn back on many hikes because of rapidly changing weather. Seeing a few puffy summer clouds swirl around you is interesting. But you surely do not want to be exposed and in a thunderstorm up there.For all of that work, on many hikes you are rewarded with 360 deg panoramas. You might even find signs of civilization if you have binoculars....and look hard enough. More likely all you will see is wilderness.

For some incredible hiking photos of the Whites, check this out. Some very high res pics, and even they barely do justice to the place. Peace.

https://danhikes.wordpress.com/category/white-mountains-new-hampshire/

http://roarloud.net/2015/07/08/best-hike-new-hampshire/

Last edited:
Went here the other day,

DSC_0466_zpslbstxtvm.jpg

Big Falls County Park in Eau Claire Wi. There was this spring up the hill that ran across an inclined trail. My wife slipped on the mud, fell, rolled off the trail and fell about 2 feet onto a flat rock surface. Banged up her wrist and may have cracked a rib. Pain in her rib cage every time she makes certain movements.

My wife slipped on the mud, fell, rolled off the trail and fell about 2 feet onto a flat rock surface. Banged up her wrist and may have cracked a rib. Pain in her rib cage every time she makes certain movements.

Ugh. Mojo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back