MWGL Photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the photo, not your wife falling over just to be clear :)

Mojo

I'm going to climb The Cobbler tomorrow and will hopefully take a few crappy photos.

I told her at her age she has to stop falling, she could break a hip. I didn't get any last night:(

OK, the last part is a joke. I was at work last night so there was no way I was going to get any.

I took my big boy camera to Niagara Falls for my friends' band's gig.
Makes for a nice back drop.

image.jpeg

I've played with some adjustments to lighten things up, but I keep coming back to this one.

Okay, remember back about a week or so ago when I said there were incredible places to see in New England? I found a couple photos that are quite magnificent. I did not take any of them, but I have been going to this place since I was a very young kid. I think I was about 6 or 7 when my dad brought us for a Sunday drive. It is a church... no, it's much more than that. The place is called The Cathedral of the Pines in Rindge NH. It was originally built by the Sloane family as a tribute to their son Sandy who was KIA in WW2. His B-17 bomber was shot down over Germany in 1944. You drive into the parking lot, and turn around to see the Sloane's old farmhouse. FYI, You can mouse over the photos and click over to Flikr, many of these pics are in very hi res.
Cathedral of the Pines by Chris, on Flickr

But looking up the hill, you see a large bell tower. As if to announce your arrival, a carrilon of bells inside rings out at regular intervals. Inside the walls are large bronze plaques depicting the role of our nation's women. They were all designed by Norman Rockwell. But this is no ordinary tower, nor ordinary place. It is an all faith chapel and national memorial to all the nation's war dead. The Cathedral was named as such by an act of Congress in 1950.

Cathedral of the Pines - New Hampshire by Doug Kerr, on Flickr

Once you get to the top of the hill you enter the Cathedral proper. Guarding the entrance are two boulders. The one shown here has a plaque in Sandy's honor.

Cathedral of the Pines by D.R.Davis, on Flickr

As you enter the grove, you saw seats to the left and right. This is one thing I remember from that first trip, it was the smell of pines in the air.

Cathedral of the Pines by George Lezenby, on Flickr

And then you got to the treeline, built there is the Altar of the Nation. With Grand Monadnock mountain as a backdrop. The view itself was created in the hurricane of 1936. The story goes that Sandy had intended to build his house nearby. The Altar of the Nation has stones in it from all 50 states plus 4 territories, and all presidents since Harry Truman. Out in front of the altar are two civil war cannonballs, one from the Union, the other from the Confederacy.

31156-Altar of the Nation-Cathedral of the Pines by Gail Frederick, on Flickr

I say 'saw' in the past tense, because most of this is now gone. It wasn't due to anything that people had done, but an act of God. In 2008/09 , a massive ice storm brought down many of the trees in the Sanctuary. The top of the knoll and the pines were pretty much ruined. The view was still there, but the trustees felt that they should close the Cathedral for the year so they could rebuild. But freinds of the Cathedral being who they are, would have none of it. So in the spring of 2009, a massive rebuild effort was mounted, with many volunteers pitching in where they could. Services, supplies and equipment were either donated or bought at cost. They were open by Easter Sunday. I think the view got better. The church became even more 'open'. I plan on going again soon. Hopefully I can get a shot like this, it took my breath away. :

IMG_9131 by IlanaDean, on Flickr

There is much more to tell about the Cathedral, but that will be for another time. Peace.

Last edited:
yeah that looks great, almost like they are playing infront of a large poster

I'm doing some island hopping at the moment. It's hard work I tell you :)

Did tour+Tasting, got more to do today at other distilleries
Pp3iOiG.jpg

One of the tasters
0JWzZX2.jpg

The church and commonwealth war graves in Bowmore, quite a cool wee round church.
DHaJcLW.jpg

So I have continued up the west coat a little bit - went from Islay to Oban, a town on the west coast. It's pretty picturesque, it's in a well sheltered bay. I didn't get any pictures of the bay though. Oban is great for very fresh seafood, it's a sad state of affairs that most of scottish seafood gets shipped off to Spain and France where they appreciate it more. It also has a distillery that I sampled some wares from :)

Then I took the ferry to the Isle of Mull earlier today, decided as these were just snapped from the ferry to go completely overboard with the processing

Eilean Musdile Lighthouse
QoqnfV3.jpg

IrM0rRb.jpg

Then I went straight across the island to Iona, which is a small island off the west coast of Mull. It's famous for Iona Abbey, St Columba, the Book of Kells and lots of Scottish Kings are buried there.

From the pier on Mull, looking at mull
O7cd1I6.jpg

From the pier on iona looking back to Mull
65KRYec.jpg

XRqWy0G.jpg

Celtic Cross outside of the abbey
JvjTfSJ.jpg

5sZRGGK.jpg

Abbey from the pier
33Z8LEU.jpg

The cloisters are quite cool
VrDROty.jpg

loads of crosses/gravestones/stone carvings in the museum
8gFVmNF.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. I love Oban, my brother is winding me up that we're going there for my stag do, I'd quite happilly do that.

What lens and settings are you using to get shots like that? they look class. All I know is to dick around with the ISO on my camera.

Just the kit lens that came with my nikon d3200. all the processing was done in adobe lightroom , there's lots of YouTube clips on how to use it.

Be sure to go to eeusk for seafood platters on your stag :)

Outstanding pics of Scotland. Sure is pretty. So you have to tell us, does the single malt Scotch taste any better at the distillery? I've often wondered they drew the samples right from the cask, or poured from the bottle.

So I have continued up the west coat a little bit - went from Islay to Oban, a town on the west coast. It's pretty picturesque, it's in a well sheltered bay. I didn't get any pictures of the bay though. Oban is great for very fresh seafood, it's a sad state of affairs that most of scottish seafood gets shipped off to Spain and France where they appreciate it more. It also has a distillery that I sampled some wares from :)

Then I took the ferry to the Isle of Mull earlier today, decided as these were just snapped from the ferry to go completely overboard with the processing

Eilean Musdile Lighthouse
QoqnfV3.jpg

IrM0rRb.jpg

Then I went straight across the island to Iona, which is a small island off the west coast of Mull. It's famous for Iona Abbey, St Columba, the Book of Kells and lots of Scottish Kings are buried there.

From the pier on Mull, looking at mull
O7cd1I6.jpg

From the pier on iona looking back to Mull
65KRYec.jpg

XRqWy0G.jpg

Celtic Cross outside of the abbey
JvjTfSJ.jpg

5sZRGGK.jpg

Abbey from the pier
33Z8LEU.jpg

The cloisters are quite cool
VrDROty.jpg

loads of crosses/gravestones/stone carvings in the museum
8gFVmNF.jpg

People like you make me want to toss my camera in the trash and focus on the things I'm good at, like drinking. :mad:

I kid of course. Please keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing.

Outstanding pics of Scotland. Sure is pretty. So you have to tell us, does the single malt Scotch taste any better at the distillery? I've often wondered they drew the samples right from the cask, or poured from the bottle.

You can do some warehouse tastings where you get to taste straight from individual casks, although I didn't do that. Otherwise you can buy almost all of it elsewhere. Some of the tastings you can do though are very good value, for example the Ardbeg taster I had ( 6 whiskies) was £15.50 but in even a cheapish whisky pub in Glasgow you are looking at closer to triple that for those particular whiskies. Laphroig also gave out free tasters of the four they had in the shop etc - basically they try their best to get you smashed so you buy more and have a good time

I'm back home now :mad: but did go on a boat trip to Staffa and the Treshnish isles and saw a lot of sea eagles, seals etc and Staffa itself is quite impressive . Also went to Tobermory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back