MWGL Photography thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
:thu:

New glass is fun...600mm will give you quite a bit of reach for wildlife (hopefully it isn't a beast to travel with and handle).

I've been surprised how close you still need to get for good wildlife shots, even with a long lens...plan on getting close enough to smell those bears. SMELL THE BEARS!

Yeah, it isn't exactly small. I think it weighs about 4.5 pounds, and the filter size is 95 mm, so you can get an idea how big the sucker is. Monopod and ball mount is a necessity for extended use. I found a backpack bag that can hold the lens and 3-4 others, so I think I'm all set. I might have to get some bear repellant. :messedup:

Here is a picture of a Japanese lady holding it at the Sigma booth at a photo gear product showing.

141214a-thumb-600x400-32404.jpg

I'll try to post some field reports here after I get some time with the lens, as I know dmn23 was interested in a long zoom. I have nothing to compare it to in length, but I can still give an impression.

I'm used to black bears from my youth. But grizzly bears are a different thing. I plan to avoid bears. If they become a problem, at least I'll have a 600mm club to fight them off

I'll try to post some field reports here after I get some time with the lens, as I know dmn23 was interested in a long zoom. I have nothing to compare it to in length, but I can still give an impression.

My point of reference is pretty low. I have a Nikon 55-200mm VR AF-S f/4-5.6 and it's a budget lens but I've had some surprisingly good results with it. At 200mm everything gets a little soft, but otherwise it's better than you'd expect at its price point. I'm very curious to hear what you think of this lens.

Wow, those are some stunning shots, jaxn. I love the bee picture and the trail roundabout BW pics the best.

My new lens arrived last night. So far, I am impressed with the build quality and indoor focus speed in marginal light. I'm a little put off by the weight, but it is certainly manageable, and I bought a monopod and head to carry this thing. Damn thing is fricken huge. I took a few cell phone shots of it. Guitar pic for scale. :) I'm hoping to get a little outdoor time with it to really see how it performs this weekend .

IMG_1897.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG

The new Sigma 150-600 Sp0rts lens just arrived. This one has better construction than the old being water resistant, improved focusing and stabilizing motors, along with 2 FLD glass elements (Canon L glass). It weighs in at almost 6 1/2 lbs and the filter size is 105mm. It's a beast.

The new Sigma 150-600 Sp0rts lens just arrived. This one has better construction than the old being water resistant, improved focusing and stabilizing motors, along with 2 FLD glass elements (Canon L glass). It weighs in at almost 6 1/2 lbs and the filter size is 105mm. It's a beast.
Cool. I kind of wanted that one, but my budget and skill level steered me to the cheaper model. From what I've read the sports version is an awesome lens. 6.5 pounds is crazy. I was just complaining about the 4 pounds of the contemporary.

Let us know how you like it when you get some time with it.

Tilsta....is that the Sigma 150-500?? i would like to have one. i've got a Sigma 18-250, which a really good walk around lens.

Tilsta....is that the Sigma 150-500?? i would like to have one. i've got a Sigma 18-250, which a really good walk around lens.

It is the new 150-60o contemporary lens. I've got a couple of other Sigmas that I have been very happy with; a 50mm f1.4 prime and a 10-22 wide angle. So far this new one is very impressive. I hope to get some outside time with it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back