2016-17 NFL Thread.

tom-brady-memes_3.jpg

As I said on Facebook:

"As dictators go, Stalin was the Greatest Of All Time. But that doesn't mean I have to like or respect Stalin."

I thought Gaga was great - my second favorite to Prince for half-time performances. She also got in a very subtle political statement by starting with "God Bless America" and going into "This Land Is Your Land" - which was written as a reaction to the previous song.

As I said on Facebook:

"As dictators go, Stalin was the Greatest Of All Time. But that doesn't mean I have to like or respect Stalin."

I thought Gaga was great - my second favorite to Prince for half-time performances. She also got in a very subtle political statement by starting with "God Bless America" and going into "This Land Is Your Land" - which was written as a reaction to the previous song.

with a bit of the Pledge of Allegiance thrown in, too.

I'm not sure where I was bitterly complaining. I was pointing out that Pats fans get all pissed at people who hate their team and when the Pats pull off an amazing comeback, the first post "Suck it Pats haters." With that kind of attitude, its no wonder people hate them. When my team wins a game like that, my first response isn't "suck it people who don't like my team." In fact, I never even think about people who don't like my team.
Who is your team? How may SB championships do they have, and how long did it take them to get there? Has your team been accused of cheating? Has your starting QB been "investigated" for nine months and then given a four game suspension for his, alleged, cheating, based solely upon the published words: "...more probable than not..." as the "concrete proof" he was guilty of what he was accused of doing?

I have a brother who is a Raider fan. I remind him of the issues they had with Rozelle when the Raiders were the class of the NFL. Oh, and when the Raiders operated much in the way the Patriots do now. You know: Win with just about anyone they can find.

That is why Saint did what he did: Most of those who are not Pats fans look for any reason to explain their hatred for excellence that has not been seen since the beginning of the Super Bowl Era.

As a lifelong Rams fan I say: Kudos to the Pats, Belichick, Brady and all of their fans. I salute a decade and a half of continued excellence and last night showed why the Pats are one of the greatest franchises ever.

I love the haters -- bring it on. I wonder if it's truly possible for people to understand how grim New England used to be, prior to the gentrification of the 90's.

Do you really know what being a Boston fan means? It's not about dedication, but about brutality.

Story 1: I was on the road in Portland, OR, and went into a bar to watch the Bruins/Penguins playoffs in 2011. I didn't realize it, but I accidentally chose a Penguins ex-pat bar. The B's won in OT, and I turned to the silent people in the bar and yelled "Hahahhaha, losers!" (they had been talking smack at me all night) No one did a thing except swear and look sideways. I was expecting a beating ... that never came. In Boston, (at least in the 80's), you'd get stomped. Look what happened in Montreal when Rocket Richard got suspended. That's Old Northeast bullshit.

Story 2: After The Greatest Comeback of All Time (Sox, '04, last night was peanuts compared to that), my then-new-girlfriend of a couple weeks was at the house. As the Sox celebrated in the Bronx, a giant crowd gathered at Fenway, and TV kept cutting in to the game to plead with people to 'stay away.' The previous year a poor girl got killed after the Aaron Boone disaster. I lived about 3-4 miles from the park. "Get your coat and a bottle, we're heading down there." "Why? It looks like a shitshow, and the police are already rioting ..."
"Because if one of us is going to take a beating, we're all going to take a beating together."
"Oh. OK."
She's now my wife.

People of a certain age who grew up in Boston were given a nonstop life message of "you are a Loser." (now you can see why Bostonians love grunge). "You will always be a Loser, and if you forget, we're going to remind you and laugh at you for forgetting." Port towns are tough.

So, after decades of loser-dom, we can scarcely believe our luck since 2000. The hate feels validating, because it reminds us this really happened. Look, others are pissed off. On top of it, Belichick has about as much charm as an incontinent garbage truck driver.

But hate away. I hate Brady for his Trump support. But I don't care, cuz Marty Bennett already said "no White House visit" and has my back there.

The rest of you can suck it (RHYMES WITH 'WOONSOCKET').

[QUOTE="SnarkAttack, post: 1401161, member: 310" She also got in a very subtle political statement by starting with "God Bless America" and going into "This Land Is Your Land" - which was written as a reaction to the previous song.[/QUOTE]

What crosses the line between patriotism and a political statement?

I'm not sure where I was bitterly complaining.

I guess you aren't reading your posts then.

I was pointing out that Pats fans get all pissed at people who hate their team and when the Pats pull off an amazing comeback, the first post "Suck it Pats haters."

Yes, when somebody claims the team is a fraud, they are likely to have that rubbed in their face when once again, the team proves their excellence on the field.

With that kind of attitude, its no wonder people hate them.

The people that hate the team, hate the team because of the reaction of the hated team's fans to the hater's hate for the team. You didn't think that out very long, did you?

When my team wins a game like that, my first response isn't "suck it people who don't like my team." In fact, I never even think about people who don't like my team.

What team do you think is remotely close to the Patriots for unwarranted criticisms and accusations?

Yes, when somebody claims the team is a fraud, they are likely to have that rubbed in their face when once again, the team proves their excellence on the field.

The people that hate the team, hate the team because of the reaction of the hated team's fans to the hater's hate for the team. You didn't think that out very long, did you?

What team do you think is remotely close to the Patriots for unwarranted criticisms and accusations?

UNWARRANTED?

Lo fucking L

PAAAATRIOOOOOOTS!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

All I have to say is that it's about time that the Pats were on the good side of an impossible circus catch in the Super Bowl.

The Shields MRI commercial after the game was epic.

I fail to see anywhere where I am "bitterly complaining." Was I rooting for the Pats, no, did I lose any sleep over their loss? no. Do I dislike the team, yes.

I have never once claimed the Pats are a fraud. In fact, since you have nothing better to do than search my posts, I have said Belichick is the best coach ever more than once.

I thought my statement through, you just can't keep up, so that is fine. It looks like you are new here (and making a great impression by the way). Go back and look through the thread. There is only one team here represented every week by a large picture with the score on it. I'll give you one guess to what team that is. A hey, I know everybody here watched the games and played in their office pools, so you already know who won this week, but I am going slap a giant picture with the score on it to rub it in your face. The "suck it" comment was made by someone I have met and hung out with and consider a friend. I thought it was cheap, lacked class and was beneath him and posted my comment. If you don't like it, too bad. If you don't like your team being criticized for being great, root for the Browns.

Back