2016-17 NFL Thread.

BOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!

16195500_10155005204347372_1205168574020968342_n.jpg

I suspect that this SupervBowl will have the lowest viewership since the 70s...
i will damn sure not be watching.

the NFL needs to be disbanded. it was much better in the 60's. now it's a godamn franchise money grab. none of it means a damn thing.

Why do you think that?

A: People are sick of NE. In fact, most people NOT in the Boston are hate that team (per my observations)
B: People are sick of the NFL, period. The rule changes, the downward trend in quality of officiating, and the sheer boredom of trying to watch a game that consists of perhaps 40 minutes of action over a three- to four-hour period have all conspired to lessen the popularity of the game. I think that the popularity of the league reached its apogee about five years ago, and we're going to see declines from here out.

they look that way to me. but, if the Pats win, as they look to do, I do not know of another team that knows how to prepare for the big show like they do. Should be a good Super Bowl if this game ends with Pats on top.

Yeah I agree right now though I do think that the Falcons have the tools to beat them. Their D is underrated and can get after the passer something that is important against Brady. And Bellick will have trouble shutting down the offense since he always takes away the best weapon (although in the AFC final he got an injury to do the trick there) but take away Jones won't mean much to this offense as they spread it around very well. Still at least my initial impression is that the Falcons are young for the most part and the next couple of weeks might be overwhelming to them, the same will not be said of the Pats.

I hope for a good game. I had hoped for 2 good games today and ended up watching 2 hockey games instead only one of which was good and neither of which were teams that I cared for...but they were far more entertaining then the football games.

Yeah I agree right now though I do think that the Falcons have the tools to beat them. Their D is underrated and can get after the passer something that is important against Brady. And Bellick will have trouble shutting down the offense since he always takes away the best weapon (although in the AFC final he got an injury to do the trick there) but take away Jones won't mean much to this offense as they spread it around very well. Still at least my initial impression is that the Falcons are young for the most part and the next couple of weeks might be overwhelming to them, the same will not be said of the Pats.

I hope for a good game. I had hoped for 2 good games today and ended up watching 2 hockey games instead only one of which was good and neither of which were teams that I cared for...but they were far more entertaining then the football games.
I really think the Falcons can beat them too. Especially if they stay to their game and execute. And believe they can and avoid getting caught up in the patriot-ness.

Last edited:
If you think Laveon Bell's injury was the difference, you don't understand football. It begins with line play, and whomever dominates the line of scrimmage usually wins the game. (Hence the impetus to get after Brady). At the NFL level, it's about matchups, execution and avoiding mistakes. Belichick's greatest talent as a coach is to get players to NOT over-commit on plays. That's really what "do your job" is about -- stay with the assignment. Don't over commit.

And Brady compliments that by minimizing mistakes and turnovers. A huge part of his greatness is the throws he doesn't make.

Which is exactly what Alan Branch and Trey Flowers (and whichever else mid-level NFLer he gets next, desperate to win and willing to do as told by Hoodie The Great in order to taste a Super Bowl) did.

This is why people simply don't get the Pats: 30 of 53 on this roster weren't on the 2014 SB championship team. But here they are, again. It's Bill. Who else dumps Jamie Collins for Elandon Roberts .... and comes out ahead?!? He schemes well, has great assistants, and demands TOTAL commitment to the scheme. More often than not, it works.

It sure doesn't hurt that Brady has a tremendous capacity to read defenses and respond appropriately.

Didn't watch Pats/Steelers. Just not into the AFC. Got on the Ravens bandwagon 5 or 10 years ago, other than then, just not my thing.

Watched NFC game. As much fun as it is for a Bears fan to watch the Packers loose, I turned the channel in the 4th quarter when Sleeper came on AMC. Too much passing by both teams for it to be an interesting game to watch. Falcons/Seahawks game was way more fun.

Still going to watch the superbowl, root for the Falcons. Bathroom breaks, food will be timed to not miss the commercials instead of not miss any of the game.

This is why people simply don't get the Pats: 30 of 53 on this roster weren't on the 2014 SB championship team. But here they are, again. It's Bill. Who else dumps Jamie Collins for Elandon Roberts .... and comes out ahead?!? He schemes well, has great assistants, and demands TOTAL commitment to the scheme. More often than not, it works.

Agreed. As much as I hate the Pats, Bill is probably the best ever. Until Bill, I would have given it to Gibbs (partially because I know Joe and the skins are my team, but 3 super bowls, with 3 different QBs, RBs, and WR corps, he led the scab team to a 3-0 record with none of his players crossing the picket lines to play and that was the only team to have none cross the line) but there is no denying how great Bill is. Its funny, when Brady first took over, I rooted for him and the Pats. I usually root for the underdog (unless they are playing the Skins) and the Pats were so bad for so long and Brady being the 6th round pick and from Michigan (growing up, I was a Michigan fan, my grandfather went there and he was the only person in my family to go to a college with a football team, so they were my team), it was good to see them win. But enough already. Bill can retire now so some other team can rise from the ashes :grin:

I honestly believe Belichick has some strange variant of autism. Does that sound strange? I know he likes to fish, has a nice gal to keep him company, etc., but picturing him retired is even creepier than imagining him in that hoodie looking through my garbage. What else does he do with his life but coach football? I bet that even when he's out on his boat, at least part of his mind is somewhere else, coaching football.

It's sort of perfect to discuss this on this board, because the analogy to music is so apt. I'm old, and not at risk to do what is necessary to gain an audience as an indie rock musician. However, there is no way I will ever stop making it in my spare bedroom. Because that's who I am; at an early point in life I fell in love with music and now it's far, far too late to undo that.

That's him and football.

For a long time I didn't think that his advantage was about commitment -- if you've ever known pro (or even top-flight Div I) athletes, they're all hugely committed. But there's committing, and then there's committing, and that's what he gets. It really is astonishing. An example: the "no big plays" defenses the Pats have rolled with the past decade. It will drive a bystander nuts. Too many first downs given up! Too much time of possession for the opponent! And as we've especially seen when the opposing offense isn't prone to mistakes, it doesn't always work.

This is why the Pats have so many crucial goal-line defensive plays. They keep shrinking the field until the math (less area to cover) favors them and take their chances. It's mathematically brilliant.

The counter-argument is also frequently viewable: athletes get emotional, over-extend, and ... they lose the battle and give up a big play.

It takes a lot of guts (and other body parts) to stand your ground in an NFL playoff game; Belichick's genius is how he gets guys to do this without question and continuously. Should've been a general.

That's a great post ^

I often thought of hoodie Bill as the football rainman. No doubt.

Yeah, short pass...yeah, eventually we'll be in the end zone.

From the Globe: "The Steelers went three-and-out just twice, held the ball for at least eight plays on five possessions, and managed 368 yards while collecting 22 first downs."

Back