The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

Sold the buggy :( Drove to my parents house in Cali to tow it back to Vegas.

Truck ran great. Am going to use the money to fix up the truck. And today, the thrash was on!

Will finish the lift kit tomorrow. Next weekend, 35 inch tires, if all goes according to plan.

:grin: That does look ridiculous.

But knowing what you've got planned for boots, I can see it will all work out.

Good work!

That is pretty goofy looking. Luckily, you only plan on leaving it like that for a week.

I hope that the 35s don't kill the power so bad that you'll REQUIRE a regear.

Well, my hopes are, with my 4 speed actually being a 3 speed with a granny low, that will just become my first gear. Then see how it goes from there. Problem is, the SM465 doesn't synchro the granny gear, so that might be a bit of a pain.

Worse comes to worse i have convinced myself that I will learn to regear it on my own. Maybe buy another 10 bolt axle and regear it off the truck and swap them when I'm done. Then, after I know what I'm doing, do the front. We'll see. I also want a rear locker, but they make ones (like Lockrite and Spartan) that just drop in where the spider gears are, so you dont have to futz around with the ring and pinion.

Sweet! I'm anxiously awaiting pics (though I'll probably be in bed by the time you get back from having them mounted).

Last edited:
Too dark to get a good pic now, and flash just blows it out. I'll get some tomorrow when I get to work.

But I have to say, it is BAD ASS. Perfect. No power problems, shifts great, don't even have to use the granny low. Tracks straight, no drivetrain vibrations. I'm extremely happy. Getting in and out is a bit more of a pain in the ass, but hey, that's the price you pay!

Can't wait to see it.

When you paint, are you going to keep it blue, or go with something else?

And have you checked to see how far off the speedometer is with the bigger tires? I'm betting if the speedo says 70, you're really doing 80 or so. :embarrassed:

I know the speedo is WAAAYYY off. I'm going to have to look into fixing that before I get in trouble. I think they have gears to compensate for it.

Yeah, I am going to stick with some kind of blue/white combo, the whole interior is blue, it would be tough to change the whole thing.

That looks good. I think 33s would have still looked a bit small.

Hell, even the 35s aren't really filling up the wheel wells. Might as well go for 44s. :embarrassed:

The guys at big o said i could pull off 37s, with maybe some minor trimming (that would only be with the wheel turned at full stuff in the wheelwell).

I'm pretty happy with the 35's though. It really rides great. Thanks for the nudge to 35s, im glad i did it. Really surprised that I have no gearing issues. It runs really well, i don't even notice it.

Maybe trying to go slow in low range might be a different story. Hopefully I'll hit a trail soon and find out.

Couple more, 'cause I'm a pic whore. Looks pretty massive next to that 4runner. lol.

Back