The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

Well, here is the deal.

With that body, a 4 inch lift will clear 33s with no further modifications, even stuffing the wheel up in the fenderwell when offroading.

35's will rub when turning a bit. So some folks trim back the corners of the front fenders to clear. Other options would be a body lift (ick), or even more suspension lift. Problem is, over 4 inch lift you really start having driveline problems.

So we'll see. I already (since my first post) decided to move up to a 4" lift.

I dunno if i have posted a pic of my old 77. This is 4 inch with 33's.

Oh, and gearing. 33's i can get away with 4:10s, or 3:73s. 35s I'd have to get a lot more serious about gearing I think. I'll have to read up on it.

4:10 should be fine with 33s or 35s. My truck has 4:10s and 30" tires with a 3.0L V6 pushing 150 HP max.

Well, that sounds pretty good then. With the stick shift I don't want to bog it down too much.

I'd like to do the gear swap myself, but I'm told it's pretty bloody tricky to get it right.

Well, that sounds pretty good then. With the stick shift I don't want to bog it down too much.

I'd like to do the gear swap myself, but I'm told it's pretty bloody tricky to get it right.

Yeah, I've never tackled regearing myself. I'd be willing to do it on a project vehicle, but the only time I've needed to replace the differential, it was on my daily driver, so I went to a junkyard and just got the whole rear end assembly and replaced the whole thing.

Last edited:
So here is the plan. In spite of my pontificating about 33's, I have decided to go with 35's. I'll just deal with any gearing and fender trimming issues as they arise. I shoulda listened to Prages from the beginning.

I have a buyer for my burnt and 3 year expired registration yellow buggy. I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

That will pay for my new tires, and a locker in the rear. I'll put the tires on first, and see if I need a gear change. I have decided to tackle that myself if it's needed. It will be a steep learning curve, but I want to learn it.

Memorial weekend I'm gonna tow the buggy here to Vegas. Get the money, and start the lift. I could start now, but I'd have to drive around for a couple weeks looking ridiculous with the lift and little bitty tires. So I'll hold off.

In the meantime, I'm gathering all the stuff for body and paint. Gonna do that myself too.

Yeah, I did see that. I wanna see how grinding out the rivets goes with you before I tackle a shackle flip. :embarrassed:

I doubt it will be fun.

We'll see. I just checked tracking, and my parts are supposed to be delivered today. I probably won't work on it this weekend, though. Then we're on vacation from the 16-24. It will probably be early June before I tackle it.

Unless I get frisky and decide to just jump on it tomorrow.

Back