The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

Phil513

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Staff member
Yeah, I still need to fix the Manx after the fire. Will tackle that later.

Just bought a 1988 ex USGS Chevy Blazer 4X4. Only 60,000 miles, but has sat in the sun and the paint and dash are toast. Has the SM465 4 speed manual (actually 3 speed with granny low).

All bone stock, unmolested truck. No frills, but does have AC. I love it. Something fun about driving a big 4X4 with a manual shift.

Anyhow, pics and my plans for it to come later. I'm getting a ride to go get my Lexus that is still sitting where i bought it. :embarrassed:

Cool. You can bet the USGS fully vetted that choice, and for a reason. :thu: You just know federal budget trackers stopped them from a big block motor, so this is your chance to right the wrong.

lol. The guy said he gets 14-15 MPG so i don't want to mess that up too badly. It does have TBI, which is cool.

My goals are a paint job first of all. Small lift, maybe 2 inch, and 33 inch tires. New dashpad. A lot of cleaning. Tint the windows, a throaty muffler. Swap the 25 gallon tank for the optional 31 gallon.

This isn't my first squarebody. I owned a 77 Blazer, a 77 K20, and an 88 Suburban (all 4X4s) in my past. Its nice to have one again.

Love the rubber floors. When I was in high school my mom special ordered a National Park Service Jeep cherokee with the same interior. That thing was an unstoppable off road beast, and yours is 3x the size.

Anyway, it looks like a fun project car with good bones.

Very nice. There's one, about the same model, at the the fire department down the road from us. Been sitting there for a couple of years. I'd love to have it, but apparently they aren't in a hurry to sell it.

I'd leave the doors and top on.

I think Ford Broncos cornered the market for SUVs with no doors or roof. Especially first gens.

I do like the stance of the one with no top or doors. I just don't like the no top of doors part.

The top has to come off occasionally. There is no getting around that one. The doors, I probably will leave 'em alone.

Its such a domino effect. Big tires, big lift. Big lift, gotta fix steering and drive-line angles. Big tires, new ring and pinion front and back, if you wanna keep the ratios anywhere near usable. Plus I think I'll put a Detroit Locker in the back at least.

Ugh. I'll probably just start stockpiling parts little by little until i get everything ready, in the meantime work on paint and body work.

I'll give you the top off.

Leave the doors on, though.

As for the rest...that's why I never lifted my Ranger. It starts with a lift and new wheels and tires.

Then you're regearing and/or putting in a limited skip or locker...

The next thing you know, you're swapping out the independent front suspension with a solid axle, swapping the V6 for a V8, and spending more than you'd have spent on a brand new truck.

True. But I don't think this one will be too bad. Solid axles both ends to begin with, so there's that. :grin:

Lift about 600, including dropped steering arm.

Tires, probably about 800, unless i can find a slightly used set.

New gears front and rear, 400 uninstalled. Going to try and tackle that myself, although it's not easy.

Detroit Locker, 430.

That's what, about 2200, plus probably a couple things I haven't thought of. Probably need longer brake lines with the lift.

Paint and bodywork I'm doing myself. That will save a bunch.

On the plus side, IT PASSED SMOG TODAY! YAY! I hate dealing with that crap, and it passed first time. Whew.

Back