The thread in which Phil has a new project/toy

Thanks Dave! I'm really pleased with the outcome.

I'm anxious to get the forklift and do some suspension travel simulations, see how it looks getting twisted up.

I've thought about doing a 3" body lift on my truck and running 33s, but the 3.0 it's already pretty gutless. 5th gear would be useless with 33s.

Plus, rust is starting to creep into my truck, so I don't want to sink money into new tires and wheels.

Yeah, body lifts and rust can get a little scary. Do they salt the roads in your area?

Only place where there was anything worse than surface rust was on the tailgate, fixed that today. Also ordered a new tailgate handle, and a cover for the dashboard. I was going to order a whole new dash, but they are stupid expensive, and, well, its just an old truck. :embarrassed:

Ordered all the paint and related paraphernalia today from Summit Racing, 'bout 300 bucks worth. Good news is, Summit has a warehouse here in Vegas, I'll get the supplies tomorrow.

I'll use the big compressor at work, and I have an HVLP gun. Probably just hose down the side yard at work and do it there.

It's going to be blue and white, with the majority blue. So, if I feel I need to, I'll do the white parts and work, and rent a booth for the blue. I'll cross that bridge when i get there. The top will be white, so I'll do that off the truck on sawhorses. The paint will be single stage urethane, so color and gloss are all in there, I don't have to go back and shoot clearcoat.

There is a lot of prep work first. Parts facing Vegas sun, no clearcoat. Parts sorta facing Vegas sun, looks like Goldmember's skin. The rest still has clearcoat. I'll probably end up having to sand all the clearcoat off. Ugh.

There is a lot of prep work first. Parts facing Vegas sun, no clearcoat. Parts sorta facing Vegas sun, looks like Goldmember's skin. The rest still has clearcoat. I'll probably end up having to sand all the clearcoat off. Ugh.

Mojo.... :embarrassed:

lol, that's going to be awhile. I am fortunate that I can park it at work when the time comes, and take my time removing bumpers and such over a few days time before I need to paint it. I won't have to do it all the morning of.

300 dollar pile o' paint.

Also picked up an AC manifold gauge set. I have a leak in the system somewhere, I need to track it down.

Tire rubbing won't be a problem. I could have lifted it higher, but the tires were still a long ways from the fender. I even turned it full lock left and right.

Back