Why does everyone hate Papa John's pizza so much? Is it a hipster thing?

Wow, whatever happened to Shakeys Pizza? I remember a highlight of going to the big city (Concord NH) was being able to go to Shakeys.

Wow, whatever happened to Shakeys Pizza? I remember a highlight of going to the big city (Concord NH) was being able to go to Shakeys.
I just looked to see if there were any in my home town of tacoma. Nope. There are a couple still in Puget Sound area though. I think most of the old ones were turned into dive taverns.

Wasn't Shakey's the one that had the piano or pipe organ in it?
In my town, that was Pizza and Pipes. It is gone now too, after helping to kill Shakey's on 6th. Shakey's had silent movies, and you could stand on a little ramp and watch them hand toss the crusts.

b0ba7ad5cccb50111c86b4f98c0c5068.jpg
7738dbdea42f7606223a19cbd7c61080.jpg

ChrisBanta-Shakeys-1979.jpg
1.jpg

shakeys300.jpg
images

I used to have one of those hats. The one we went to on 6th Ave, which until a spur freeway was built, was the access to the Tacoma Narrows bridge and the gig harbor and kitsap peninsulas, had two doors, one to the pubic house section, and one to the family dining section, with the kitchen in the middle. I think most around puget sound were set up that way.

By comparison, going to Papa Murphy's to pick up a doughy pizza with bland ingredients on it fails horribly.

Reactions: Tig
:grin:

We went to Shakey's all the time when I was a kid.

Pretty much Americanized pizza as I recall, but I loved it.

Back in the 60's there was a non-chain pizza place in Annapolis, MD that had a dixieland band. A bunch of us hippie-types would pile into a car and go there. We'd eat pizza, listen to Dixieland, and freak out the straights. :hippie: Because it was the 60's, I am not able to remember the name of the place, but it was in an old garage.

I hate it for the same reasons I hate cholera, olestra, IBS, lactose intolerance, E. coli, rotavirus, cryptosporidium, sorbitol, and anything else that causes diarrhea. In fact, the mayoclinic web page where I found a list of things that cause diarrhea lists Papa Johns right after Ulcerative Colitis and Waffle House.

Where was Pizza Hut on that list? I haven't eaten there is a couple of decades. It took me a couple of time to learn, but after eating there, i thought my entire digestive track was going to explode.

This is what pizza meant when I was a kid in the 60s. We didn't know any better, so we loved it!

3380384363_3638667050.jpg

We ate Ellio's pizza as kids.

tumblr_l0jah47zQE1qb3mmfo1_500.jpg

In the commercial, the boy said, "and millions of tons of cheese goes BLUB BLUB BLUB". Today, when I make pizza, I still refer to the cheese melting as THE BLUBBENING. That's how you know it's ready.

Reactions: DFB
There's still a Shakey's Pizza over in Oceanside, about 20 minutes away. We go from time to time. It's not quite what it was in the 70s, but it's still quite good.

In the commercial, the boy said, "and millions of tons of cheese goes BLUB BLUB BLUB". Today, when I make pizza, I still refer to the cheese melting as THE BLUBBENING. That's how you know it's ready.
You kids and your frozen pizzas. We didn't have freezers when I was young. :old:

Back in the 60's there was a non-chain pizza place in Annapolis, MD that had a dixieland band. A bunch of us hippie-types would pile into a car and go there. We'd eat pizza, listen to Dixieland, and freak out the straights. :hippie: Because it was the 60's, I am not able to remember the name of the place, but it was in an old garage.

Nothing goes together liked dixieland jazz and pizza.

And people say Japan is weird.

We used to eat that as kids too. A few year ago, I saw it in the grocery store and bought it. Let's just say 8.75 pieces were thrown in the trash.

Back